Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 8 2009, 04:37 AM   #16
WendellM
Commodore

Re: What Star Trek toys did you grow up playing with?

Gary7 wrote: View Post
The "phaser" toy copies that were made were pitiful. Big, ugly, and so inaccurate, with large raised "Star Trek" lettering emblazoned on the sides. In one case, they took a "James Bond 007" plastic pellet gun and converted it to fire these colored discs, then packaged it in a box with Star Trek labeling and photos of Kirk and Spock.
Yeah, I had a couple of those. And I went through a few AMT Enterprise model kits and the smaller one with the Ent, D-7, and Romulan Bird of Prey.
WendellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 05:04 AM   #17
nx1701g
Admiral

I had, and still have, the entire line of Playmates Trek Toys.
Old May 8 2009, 05:18 AM   #18
James Wright
Commodore

I've never had any of the toys, I do have 4 starship models though, Enterprise-B, C & E all unassembled & an assembled Excelsior.

James
James Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 05:44 AM   #19
Cap'n Caveman
Captain

What, am I the only one who had the Mego Communicators? My brother and I had hours of fun with those, and I still have them to this day in working condition.
Old May 8 2009, 10:39 AM   #20
new_mercury
Lieutenant Commander

Daneel wrote: View Post
There was also a toy version of the Enterprise-D that I owned... actually, I think I still have that somewhere. I'll have to look around for it. I remember that the nacelles came off fairly regularly (whether I wanted them to or not), but I had a good deal of fun with it.
is that the one with the three buttons that made sounds. i had that. also had the E-D and afew other that opened and it had the bridge etc inside and mini characters
Old May 8 2009, 01:40 PM   #21
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I had the Dinky Toys Enterprise. Yep, that ugly big white metal hunk of inaccuracy. Plastic bits fell off and the white paint got heavily chipped as my friend and I subjected it to all kinds of "stress tests". That was my big problem... as kid I could tell when the design of things was just so wrong. I built the AMT Explorer Set and despite a reasonably good paint job, was infuriated with the stupid communicator lid hinges that broke after only a few uses. The tricorder wasn't bad, but too small. And the phaser looked like a box with knobs and a handle. I did find it rather amusing that the Animated Star Trek series seemed to copy that explorer set--the phaser looked nearly identical!

Nah... in the 70's we were cursed with junk for Star Trek toys. If we'd gotten something like the Art Asylum phaser, it would have been Star Trek euphoria. The really annoying thing is that it didn't take any special technology to make it--only someone dedicated to accuracy.
I had that smae Enterprise! The shuttle would come out of a little hatch on the bottom. It shot photon torpedoes (plastic disks) out thr front of the saucer.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 03:32 PM   #22
Kirok_Blue
Ensign

I had and, much to my current dismay, eventually destroyed the south bend enterprise. I remember playing with that ship and reconfiguring her until the parts didn't stay together any more. As I got older, I built almost all of the models; must of had 10 AMT refit enterprises that I swooshed around, kitbashed, and displayed. Later, I collected most of the Playmates figures, ships, and roleplay, and I have most of the AA/DST ships and roleplay.
Kirok_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 06:28 PM   #23
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post

Oh yeah, I have one of those too. It came with a VHS package of both TOS and DS9's Tribble episodes. I think mine is kind of beige in colour.
I had one too! It was white. I think I squeezed it too much. My tribble doesn't squeak anymore.
I found mine! It's a very light beige, almost white. And it still squeaks when I squeeze it!
Wow. I'm glad you didn't oversqueeze the tribble.

I'd forgotten about the phasers, tricorders and communicators. Most of them were really good, especially the TOS ones. I really hated the TNG communicator, though. It was so clunky. I used to use the display stands as my 'real' comm-badge.

God, I was so cool.
Was?
Hey... thanks.

Did anybody have TFF/TUC phaser? Gosh, I wanted that thing but could never find one. And, ironically the IMO rather bad version of the Galileo-7 shuttle used to be everywhere I looked but then became rare.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:07 PM   #24
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

1.) I built AND played with my AMT Enterprise models (TOS version).
2.) My Mego action figures
3.) My Mego Star Trek Phaser Battle game (kind of a primitive arcade game; I never see other fans talking about this online. So, I'm not sure how broad a distribution this one got).
4.) My AMT "Exploration Set" (Phaser, Tricorder and Communicator) model kit
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:24 PM   #25
Lonemagpie
Writer

The Dinky Toys Enterprise, oh yeah. It's probably still somewhere at my dad's house...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 01:49 AM   #26
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Cap'n Caveman wrote: View Post
What, am I the only one who had the Mego Communicators? My brother and I had hours of fun with those, and I still have them to this day in working condition.
Are you talking about the blue ones with the antenna and the Enterprise chevron on them? If so, I had those too (mom gave them to me as a birthday present for my 8th in 1978.). My brother and I also played with them, of course, he was only 2 at the time and could only gurgle into them. My uncle would also talk to me over them, but, not knowing much about Star Trek, he would pretend to be a colonel from NASA who would give orders over the radio to Captain Kirk (me).

I also had the eight inch figures and plastic Enterprise bridge set with the "turntable" transporter chamber from 1973 or 1974. Spent a go chuck of the '70's and early '80's playing with those until I wore them out.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 07:49 PM   #27
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

My imagination, I guess. I was not even aware of the existence of any Star Trek toys at the time. I would set up folding chairs in the garage to look like the bridge. The helm was a long table with two chairs behind it, and the viewscreen was a chalkboard! Me and a friend would play Star Trek like that. Then we'd "Beam down" by walking out the door to an "alien planet" (The backyard.) and have adventures! We made up a pretty elaborate Star Trek board game once, too. Big poster board with dice, game pieces and squares telling you what to do when you landed on them, cards like monopoly, all that stuff. Fun times!
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 11:40 PM   #28
Bisz
Rear Admiral

A tricorder and a Data figurine. Loved the tricorder with the working lights and sounds.
Old May 11 2009, 02:32 AM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I liked the medical tricorder, since you could remove the scanner.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 02:14 PM   #30
Trekarama
Lieutenant

I was lucky my dad was a big Trek fan. Being a child of the late sixties and early 70's I was fortunate enough to be exposed to some of the earliest Star Trek merchandise. I'm not even sure if some of it was even legally licensed back then. I had 3 felt like tunics (Red, Gold, Blue) with embroidered StarFleet emblems. I had an away team play set consisting of a belt, phaser, communicator and tricorder. I had the Power Records Star Trek comic book/album combos. I had most of the Megos along with the Enterprise bridge.I thought the transporter was the coolest! I had the Communicator walkie-talkies, several of the AMT models, the electronic Phaser Battle game. I had a goof run of the Gold Key comics.

My favorite toy by far was a tabletop Electronic Starship Battle game. I don't remember the exact name, but it was a black box with a recessed screen, and led graphics. The screen was basically the Enterprises' main console screen. You pressed a button to fire upon enemy ships as they appeared on the screen. If I remember correctly there were some Klingon, Romulan ships, as well as some others I don't remember. This must have been released sometime between 1976 and late 1977.

All of my toys were exremely well played with. Almost all have been lost due to attrition, trading and moving. The thought of saving or collecting never crossed my mind back then. They were made to be enjoyed and shared with friends. In my mid-twenties I started buying some of the old pieces again, but stopped after only a few. I found that my memories far outshined the actual toy itself. The early 70's was a great time to be a kid and a Trek fan!

Enjoy!
Trekarama is offline   Reply With Quote