Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 4 2009, 01:45 AM   #1
donners22
Commodore

Star Trek as anti-religion

I came across a curious article in a newspaper. It is a regular religious column which had a shot at Star Trek about a decade ago, and has covered it again with the popularity of the new film.

Here's a key section:

Perhaps the myth of a future alternative society without God is what makes Star Trek appealing to those who have been disappointed by traditional religions.

The churches have been too ready to proclaim doom for all those who do not believe in their view of the universe.

But Star Trek makes the converse error. It supposes man alone will sort out all the problems.

Star Trek supposes, without any real evidence, a future of morality without spirituality. Its appeal as a viable philosophy relies on the false belief in humanity's steady and inexorable moral advance.

It's a myth perpetuated by Hollywood's penchant for feelgood fantasy movies.
The full article is at http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-24909,00.html

I suppose the immediate counter to that would be the Bajorans, who managed to survive a dreadful occupation at least in part due to their faith. However, in general it is true that Star Trek features little in the way of religion.

Is it generally accepted that religion has been left behind, or is it simply something not openly portrayed? I know some novels feature religious characters, and there's no shortage of religious references in TOS (though often as "mythology").

This seems a quite depressing approach taken by the writer, to suggest that we are dependant on "God" (whether that is supposing a single God or each individual's religious beliefs) to progress any further, and that morals cannot develop without religion.

Is Star Trek necessarily in conflict with religion, as the writer seems to think?
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Da'an
Commander

Re: Star Trek as anti-religion

This is why I like Babylon 5, and to a lesser extent, Farscape.

Is Star Trek necessarily in conflict with religion, as the writer seems to think?
I think it depends on which religion, but surely anything science fiction show with aliens is at odds with religion by the vary nature of explicitly stating Earth isn't the only place in the Universe with life.
Da'an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 02:01 AM   #3
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Da'an wrote: View Post
This is why I like Babylon 5, and to a lesser extent, Farscape.

I think it depends on which religion, but surely anything science fiction show with aliens is at odds with religion by the vary nature of explicitly stating Earth isn't the only place in the Universe with life.
However, there are many religions which do not state such specifically. For example, Christianity, which only speaks of life on earth. There are many Christians who believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe. I'm one of them.

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 02:10 AM   #4
M
Vice Admiral

donners22 wrote: View Post
This seems a quite depressing approach taken by the writer, to suggest that we are dependant on "God" (whether that is supposing a single God or each individual's religious beliefs) to progress any further, and that morals cannot develop without religion.
That definitely is a rather questionable viewpoint to have. Also, the last part (only people who practice a religion can have morality) pretty much sums up the problems I have with organized religion.

It's also interesting that this writer confers a doctorate on Spock and re-baptizes his own president with a new name.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 02:16 AM   #5
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
donners22 wrote: View Post
That definitely is a rather questionable viewpoint to have. Also, the last part (only people who practice a religion can have morality) pretty much sums up the problems I have with organized religion.

It's also interesting that this writer confers a doctorate on Spock and re-baptizes his own president with a new name.
As a Christian and one who interacts with people of various faiths, philosophies and beliefs, I can vouch for that. Morality does not a religion make, and neither does religion make morality. One does not have to be of a faith to be moral and ethical. True ethics and morals start inside and work their way outward. Anything else must be learned.

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 02:19 AM   #6
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to RyanKCR

If you ask me ST:TMP is a very Christian allagory. It is about someone seeking his God but looking for something specific and then shocked to find out who God really was and then accepting Him.
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 02:22 AM   #7
M
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
As a Christian and one who interacts with people of various faiths, philosophies and beliefs, I can vouch for that. Morality does not a religion make, and neither does religion make morality. One does not have to be of a faith to be moral and ethical. True ethics and morals start inside and work their way outward. Anything else must be learned.
Yes, I know that. And I'm glad you look at it the same way. But I have met many people who were shocked to learn that I don't believe in something (God, that is).
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 02:37 AM   #8
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

I think religion is still around in Star Trek, but I think it's much more of a personal thing, and not something that's shoved down everyone's throats and you're considered an amoral thing if you don't believe in it like it is in many places today. Parts of America, not the least of which.
Old June 4 2009, 02:39 AM   #9
Da'an
Commander

J. Allen wrote: View Post
It's been my personal experience that Spirituality encourages morality while religion hinders it.

This has even been shown in Star Trek on many occasions where the dogmatic aliens are the bad guys and the spiritual aliens are the enlightened ones.
Old June 4 2009, 03:16 AM   #10
Middle Earther
Commodore

View Middle Earther's Twitter Profile

It depends on which show/episode you watch as to whether ST is "anti-religious" or not. There was the TOS episode "Bread and Circuses" which had a reference to Christ. (Hope I named the right episode..) Although Jean-Luc was more anti-relgion - he talks about it as backwards thinking or immature for a society to 'still' be religous. Interestingly enough Jean-Luc does seem to reflect a more contemporary French point of view (Interesting book: Man Made God by Luc Ferry) However, the Bajorans and Klingons especially demonstrate that relgion is still there. Even though the Klingons brag about killing their Gods - it does seem quite relgious. Perhaps what makes Star Trek appealing lies in how it allows for the variety of human experience - a future with "infinite possibilities." Now that I've sprained my brain - I think I'll lie down...
Old June 4 2009, 03:39 AM   #11
SFRabid
Commodore

I think the bottom line is Star Trek avoids religion to broaden the possible market.

It's been my personal experience that Spirituality encourages morality while religion hinders it.

This has even been shown in Star Trek on many occasions where the dogmatic aliens are the bad guys and the spiritual aliens are the enlightened ones.
That is a perception only available to one who believes spirituality and religion are separate and incompatible. I'm not sure what the basis of that belief could be. More often they go hand in hand.
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 03:44 AM   #12
Lightinspire
Lieutenant Commander

Religion is legalism..do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that..the keeping of rules and rituals..Christianity isn't religion, it is about having a personal relationship with Christ..anyway, remember what Kirk said in Star Trek V, talking about God may not be out there but in here "pointing to the heart"..I believe that is what Trek is trying to portray, that God is in every human heart...Of course StarFleet acts like humans are God..they achieved all they did without the need of God.
Lightinspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 03:50 AM   #13
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I think that, yeah, to a certain extent, Star Trek IS anti-religious. How many episodes were there on both TOS and TNG that had the Enterprise crew meeting "God", only to have that God proven false? I don't remember the exact number, but it was a common theme.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 04:54 AM   #14
Da'an
Commander

You mean Enterprise crew meeting "God", only to have that God not be what the crew had in mind?

Like the Q for example, what makes the Q not-Gods, apart from "not our definition of God"?
Old June 4 2009, 04:55 AM   #15
Da'an
Commander

SFRabid wrote: View Post
I think the bottom line is Star Trek avoids religion to broaden the possible market.

That is a perception only available to one who believes spirituality and religion are separate and incompatible. I'm not sure what the basis of that belief could be. More often they go hand in hand.
Actually I regard them as like two sides of the same coin, equal yet opposite.