RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 436
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 4 2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Fox officially renews Fringe, NBC picks up Day One and renews Heroes

It's been known for a while that Fox would be renewing Fringe. Today they've made it official via a press release announcing a renewal for a full second season.

NBC announced today that they've renewed Heroes for a fourth season (as expected) and picked up Day One for next season. Here's the description of Day One from NBC's website:

In the aftermath of a global event that devastates the world's infrastructures, a small band of survivors strives to rebuild society and unravel the mysteries of why the event took place and what the future has in store. Told from the point of view of an eclectic group of neighbors in a Van Nuys, California apartment building, this journey of survival will show us that hope is found in the smallest of victories and heroes are born every day.
The cast includes David Lyons, Julie Gonzalo, Adam Campbell, Carly Pope, Thekla Reuten, Derek Mio, Addison J. Timlin, Catherine Dent, April Grace, and Xander Berkeley. There's been speculation that it may run as a limited event series rather than as an ongoing series.

NBC is holding fans of Chuck and Medium in suspense. It looks like official word of their fate may only come on May 19th when NBC unveils its full line-up. It's rumored that both shows will come back, but time will tell.
Old May 4 2009, 08:23 PM   #2
FreezeC77
Commodore

Re: Fox officially renews Fringe, NBC picks up Day One and renews Hero

NBC picked up 2 comedies (presumably for Thursday Nights) and 4 new dramas. Next year NBC will be having 5 less hours of nightly time with Leno taking over the 10pm weeknight slot.

BTW, the Hollywood reporter said Medium has been picked up for next year at a slightly lower episode count (13-18) the number probably depending on how succesful these new shows are and how soon they'd need to rush Medium in as a mid-season replacement.

Day One apparently is set for a 'limited run' so I'm thinking it will be a lower episode count and probably run from start to finish with no mid-season hiatus break. Which would make sense. I think lower episode counts and running shows without the mid-season rerun hiatus break would be a lot better for Network TV. Lower episode counts mean lower costs and not having the show disappear for 2 months means keeping viewers rom start to finish off a season more likely.

So I think next year NBC is looking like 4 new dramas, 2 new comedies with 3 comedies(The Office, 30 Rock, Parks & Recreation), 4 Dramas(Southland, Law & Order: SVU, Friday Night Lights, Medium) apparently all confirmed. 3 new reality series planned for next year with 2 confirmed returning (Celebrity Apprentice & Biggest Loser)

That amounts to 13 hour long shows planned for next year with 5 comedies(well 6 since an SNL thursday thing is planned as well).

I think the chances of Chuck returning are becoming slimmer, but it could squeak in with a lower episode count. Especially if NBC views it as a better partner for Heroes then anything else on it's schedule. I think Day One is planned to be 9pm instead of heroes right? So it's not a lead-in to it.

Also one thing I didn't mention is NBC has yet to announce the fate of Law & Order so that could wind up back and taking up a potential slot.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
It's been known for a while that Fox would be renewing Fringe. Today they've made it official via a press release announcing a renewal for a full second season.
Wahoo! My wife recently shot an episode of Fringe, that they told her was going to be a part of season two...

...not that there was much doubt that it would happen, but, still, I want to see my wife on TV.
Old May 4 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Angry Angel
Vice Admiral

Excellent, it's one of my favorite shows at the moment together with The Unit.
Beyond a critical point in a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive. -Pardot Kynes
Angry Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:46 PM   #5
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

has anyone heard anything about Heroes getting a reduced number of episodes for season 4?
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 09:18 PM   #6
Thrall
Commodore

I'd wish they'd just make a decision and not have us wait til the 19th. They said they wanted a quality line up this year. My ass they do. They renewed Heroes after all. Chuck is their most critically acclaimed show, and they're hosing it around like this. I think they were going to cancel it to make room for Leno but the uproar from fans, critics, and advertisers have caused them to reconsider.
Old May 4 2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Limited series? FFS.
Old May 4 2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Candlelight
Admiral

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
has anyone heard anything about Heroes getting a reduced number of episodes for season 4?
From what I've heard, Redemption will run 18-20 episodes. Unless that's changed.
Old May 4 2009, 09:59 PM   #9
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Great, now they just need to do the same for Dollhouse and Fox will have gone a whole season without doing anything to piss me off.

I'm not holding my breath.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Akiraprise

NBC should have just picked up Jericho. That description pretty much describes Jericho and I'd rather see that continue then invest in something new right now.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 10:41 PM   #11
Candlelight
Admiral

Jericho was pants. It shouldn't have even got it's shortened second season.
Old May 4 2009, 10:46 PM   #12
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Jericho was pants. It shouldn't have even got it's shortened second season.
Heretic! Prepare to be burned at the stake!

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 01:32 AM   #13
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think Medium, L&O, and Chuck will all be picked up for a random amount of episodes around 13-18.
Old May 5 2009, 01:50 AM   #14
Thrall
Commodore

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I think Medium, L&O, and Chuck will all be picked up for a random amount of episodes around 13-18.
As long as I get an end episode for Chuck that's all I care about. Getting invested in a show without an end is the most frustrating thing.
Old May 5 2009, 03:00 AM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Thrall wrote: View Post
I'd wish they'd just make a decision and not have us wait til the 19th. They said they wanted a quality line up this year. My ass they do. They renewed Heroes after all.
Heroes is The Sopranos compared with NBC's utterly generic new lineup: Videos of NBC's new cancellation fodder.

Say what you want about the writing, but at least Heroes isn't exactly like every other frakkin' show on the air.
NBC should have just picked up Jericho. That description pretty much describes Jericho and I'd rather see that continue then invest in something new right now.
At least Jericho was set in Kansas. Anything is more original than Yet Another Show Based in LA.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote