Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 7 2009, 10:30 AM   #91
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: THOR-starts shooting Jan2010: Updates, Rumors & Casting till relea

Thrall wrote: View Post
Thor's penis is too powerful to be contained by a single woman.
That is so sig-worthy!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2009, 11:57 AM   #92
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Last year when the Transformers Animated toys came out the Triceratops whose name had always been SLAG was changed. Apparently its also slang frequently used in the UK/EU for someting unsavorly(which I forget right now). I thought that was stupid but my European bretheren on the TF board I'm on thought the name change appropriate. But really do 8-12yr olds really know the bad slang for SLAG?
Slag is a slang term for a slut in the UK and Europe. It's such a widely known term that a lot of 8-12 year olds would know what it means.
Old July 8 2009, 01:43 AM   #93
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Maybe they think people from the UK will think "Sif" is "Sith," as in the Sith.

This is not some "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" crossover!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 02:28 AM   #94
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of. I mean it's kind of obvious that the reason the made Doom a Corrupt CEO was partially to avoid the Vader comparisons.

Nevermind both Doom and Sif predate Wars by over a decade.

Reminds me of a guy who asked if Martian Manhunter in the Justice League cartoon was supposed to be inspired by Spock when MM has been around since the 50s.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2009, 02:56 AM   #95
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

^ Technically, Sif predates Star Wars by several centuries.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 8 2009, 07:21 AM   #96
The_Emperor
Lieutenant Commander

Anwar wrote: View Post
Reminds me of a guy who asked if Martian Manhunter in the Justice League cartoon was supposed to be inspired by Spock when MM has been around since the 50s.
Man, I hate it when people say stupid crap like that. For instance, just the other day, a poster on the Marvel.com message boards was bitching and moaning about how DC was ripping off Captain America by introducing a new character called "The Shield". Thankfully, though, other posters quickly informed the moron that The Shield predates Captain America by at least a year, and if anyone's a ripoff, it's Captain America (who carried a triangular shield which was nearly identical to the emblem on The Shield's chest).

Same goes for those who think that DC's Captain Marvel is a ripoff of Marvel's Captain Marvel. That one I find especially galling, as DC's Captain Marvel (which originally belonged to Fawcett Comics), predates Marvel version by nearly three decades. And as a matter of fact, the only reason that character continues to see any publication, despite being a mediocre seller, is solely for the purpose of keeping the rights to the name Captain Marvel. To that end they've even published one-shots with the most mediocre character to have ever born that name (Monica Rambeau), for no other reason than to hang onto that name, because they know that the minute they let go of the rights, DC will swoop in and reclaim them.

And on and on and on...

"That is not my name, father. I am Night Haunter, and I know full well what you intend for me."
The_Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 06:33 AM   #97
Kirk1701
Ensign

blockaderunner wrote: View Post
Let me start out by saying that I HATED the Ultimates take on Thor. I don't want some "realistic" delusional crazy person, environmentalist with weather controlling tech. I want this movie to be Marvel's equivalent to Lord Of The Rings. I want Asgard, Valhalla, Frost Giants, the Midgard Serpent, Loki, Baldar, Odin, the whole nine yards. I want this to be big and epic and stand on its own as great movie. I want this movie to set mainly in Asgard, culminating in the battle which Thor shows his arrogance, resulting in his punishment of becoming Dr. Don Blake. The final scene of the movie should show Dr. Blake giving Tony Stark an exam (he with the bad heart) which will suege into the Avengers movie. At least that's how I think they should do it.
Let me say that I'm new to this website. I'm not sure if this has been discuss here or not. I can not stand the Ultimate Universe at all and I do agree with your statements. If Marvel Entertainment continues to merge the 616 universe and the Ultimate universe together, I for one thing will refuse to spend any of my money on their DVDs or movies, that has Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. Even if the role is a minor one or even a cameo appearance. I did see the Iron Man movie and thought it was a fantastic movie until the last ten seconds of the movie. We have Sam Jackson playing Nick Fury. Even though Nick Fury may be a minor character in the Marvel Universe, he has been around for the past forty-six years. I'm old school when it comes to changing character developments in movies, especially the Nick Fury character, or any other character that has been around for the past fifty or hundred years. Hollywood has become a bunch of liberals and pussies. They will bow to politically pressure from the left and affirmative action. I refuse to watch any Marvel movie that has Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, including a Thor movie. I don't care how much money Sam Jackson's movies have made and he needs to retire from acting or just leave comic book movies alone. What's next? Will we see Mr. Jackson as Tarzan, James Bond, or a Captain Kirk.
Kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 06:39 AM   #98
Kirk1701
Ensign

The_Emperor wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
Man, I hate it when people say stupid crap like that. For instance, just the other day, a poster on the Marvel.com message boards was bitching and moaning about how DC was ripping off Captain America by introducing a new character called "The Shield". Thankfully, though, other posters quickly informed the moron that The Shield predates Captain America by at least a year, and if anyone's a ripoff, it's Captain America (who carried a triangular shield which was nearly identical to the emblem on The Shield's chest).

Same goes for those who think that DC's Captain Marvel is a ripoff of Marvel's Captain Marvel. That one I find especially galling, as DC's Captain Marvel (which originally belonged to Fawcett Comics), predates Marvel version by nearly three decades. And as a matter of fact, the only reason that character continues to see any publication, despite being a mediocre seller, is solely for the purpose of keeping the rights to the name Captain Marvel. To that end they've even published one-shots with the most mediocre character to have ever born that name (Monica Rambeau), for no other reason than to hang onto that name, because they know that the minute they let go of the rights, DC will swoop in and reclaim them.

And on and on and on...

The Shield is the name of several fictional patriotic superheroes created by MLJ (now known as Archie Comics). The Shield has the distinction of being one of the first superheroes with a costume based upon the American Flag, appearing fourteen months before Captain America, who has a similar origin
Kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 07:26 AM   #99
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Kirk1701 wrote: View Post
Let me say that I'm new to this website. (...)
And a racist rant always makes for a fine introduction.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old July 9 2009, 03:47 PM   #100
ClayinCA
Commodore

The_Emperor wrote: View Post
And as an old-school fan of the Original Captain Marvel, I cannot tell you how much this has always annoyed me. (Almost as much as the hatchet-job recently perpetrated on the character by the Powers That Be at DC Comics, but that's a whole 'nother rant....)
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2009, 06:07 PM   #101
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Last year when the Transformers Animated toys came out the Triceratops whose name had always been SLAG was changed. Apparently its also slang frequently used in the UK/EU for someting unsavorly(which I forget right now). I thought that was stupid but my European bretheren on the TF board I'm on thought the name change appropriate. But really do 8-12yr olds really know the bad slang for SLAG?
Slag is a slang term for a slut in the UK and Europe. It's such a widely known term that a lot of 8-12 year olds would know what it means.
I thought thats what it was. I stil say its not that big a deal. *shrug*
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 06:59 PM   #102
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Marvel Studios has announced that Natalie Portman has been cast as Jane Foster in Thor.
Old July 13 2009, 10:40 PM   #103
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
See below.

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I think he's saying that he thinks Biel is a better actress than Portman.
Yes.

Plus I think she's better looking.
Okay. Your opinion is your own and I can already tell it'd be a waste of keystrokes to go back and forth with you.

I'll only say this. Let me know when she has won or been considered for awards honoring her for her acting. Portman has, a few times. Meaning that by and large Portman=good actress 1st, Biel=Eye Candy 1st and I'd contend that a large majority see it that way...
The playing field in Hollywood isn't level. A handful of actors get "first refusal" when it comes to the best roles (I think Cate Blanchett is an example of this). Portman probably gets better offers than almost any other actress her age. Consequently, she accumulates more awards.

No question, Natalie Portman is a fine actress. But Jessica Biel has had to fight the impression that she has nothing going on but her looks. I'd say that Biel began overcoming these unfair preconceptions after appearing in The Illusionist.

So the latest news is that Portman will star as Jane Foster. Congratulations to Marvel for continuing to attract top talent to their movies.
Old July 14 2009, 04:27 PM   #104
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Biel was good in Illusionist.

Here is a link to the Jane Foster news.

Natalie Portman to play Jane Foster in the Thor movie.
Natalie Portman has been cast as the female lead in "Thor" for Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures says the trades.
Portman will play Jane Foster, who in early comic book lore was a nurse who became Thor's first love. The character will be updated to a more doctor-scientist occupation.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2009, 05:02 PM   #105
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

If Chris Hemsworth is playing Thor, does another (less buff) actor play Dr. Don Blake?