Best of Both Worlds: The Daring Cliffhanger
By: T'Bonz on Jul 6

Trekonomics Book
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Shore Leave 37 Convention
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Two New ThinkGeek Trek-themed Items
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 20 2011, 02:43 PM   #706
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: THOR-starts shooting Jan2010: Updates, Rumors & Casting till relea

"Thor" will be a hit. I think it's a question of just how big a hit it will be? I see it carrying the box office at least two or three weeks straight. There doesn't appear to be anything significant threatening it on opening weekend, the second weekend it's up against "The Beaver" and Paul Bettany's "Priest". Then at the end of the month Pirates 4 is out. I can see it in the top two until Pirates comes out. It will probably slip a few spots after that.

I have nothing against Kat Dennings, I like her, I just don't like her part in this movie.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 02:59 PM   #707
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
"Thor" will be a hit. I think it's a question of just how big a hit it will be? I see it carrying the box office at least two or three weeks straight. There doesn't appear to be anything significant threatening it on opening weekend, the second weekend it's up against "The Beaver" and Paul Bettany's "Priest". Then at the end of the month Pirates 4 is out. I can see it in the top two until Pirates comes out. It will probably slip a few spots after that.
The Beaver opens in limited release on the same weekend as Thor and then expands on May 20th. Priest and Bridesmaids open the weekend after Thor, and it should retain the #1 spot that weekend. Then Pirates 4 opens on May 20th, so no chance for Thor holding #1 for a third weekend.

Universal's astute positioning of Fast Five on the 29th April will likely sap Thor of a bit of the extra boost that is usually derived from opening the summer movie season on the first weekend of May.
Old February 20 2011, 04:46 PM   #708
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Thanks to the influence of Australian soap operas, many young English people sound Australian now anyway - the raised inflection at the end of a sentence? That sounds like a question?
There presumably aren't Australian soaps in Asgard, though, and the accent Hemsworth is doing doesn't match those of Hopkins and Hiddleston particularly well. I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker, but from the evidence so far Hemsworth's ability with accents is more Worthington than Jackman.
Hopkins is and sounds Welsh, Hiddleston sounds middle-class English, Elba will probably have his usual cockney accent. None of them match.

Dennis wrote: View Post
Could those complaining about Hemsworth's accent enlighten me as to how someone from the fictional & fantastical world of Asgard is supposed to sound?
Not so distractingly silly that one doesn't pay attention to whatever he's saying.

I don't give a fuck whether he's supposed to be from Asgard or Jersey or what he's "supposed to" sound like. The accent sounds stupid and annoying.

Enlightened?
No. But I generally don't expect to be by your contributions and you rarely disappoint.
Old February 20 2011, 04:57 PM   #709
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Hopkins is and sounds Welsh, Hiddleston sounds middle-class English, Elba will probably have his usual cockney accent. None of them match.
I wondered if someone would bring up Hopkins being Welsh rather than English. Nevertheless, variations of British Isles accents seem to be what they're using for Asgard, and from what I've heard so far Hemsworth is attempting an accent that fits into that range, but Australian inflections are coming through, just as they often do with Sam Worthington when he attempts to alter his accent.

I don't mean to make a huge deal of this, but you did ask for clarification and I've attempted to give it. If others have a different view of his accent that's entirely fine.
Old February 20 2011, 05:06 PM   #710
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ No, that's fair enough, I take your point. But like I say, tm my ears there are variations among the accents anyway (though perhaps Elba will drop the Cockney accent in favour of a 'Received Pronunciation one). And I also think it's much like the to-do about the black Elba being cast as a Norse God - they're all made-up anyway, so what does it matter how they look or sound?!
Old February 20 2011, 05:17 PM   #711
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

And I also think it's much like the to-do about the black Elba being cast as a Norse God - they're all made-up anyway, so what does it matter how they look or sound?!
Elba playing a Norse god doesn't bother me at all, but just because they're fantasy characters doesn't mean that just any accent will do. I mean if one of the American actors playing a Hobbit was doing a Dick Van Dyke style Cockney accent it just wouldn't be cricket. Generally a certain accent range is set in films dealing with fantasy characters and/or ancient times and actors are required to change their accents to fit that range if necessary. Some do a better job of it than others.
Old February 20 2011, 05:21 PM   #712
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Yes, plus it's all a matter of degree and of personal taste. So far Hemsworth's accent in the trailers hasn't bothered me, even though I can hear Aussie undertones. But maybe it will annoy me when I see the whole movie; equally, you might see the whole movie and no longer be bothered by the Aussie inflections.
Old February 20 2011, 05:24 PM   #713
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Quite true.
Old February 20 2011, 07:31 PM   #714
flemm
Fleet Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
I don't give a fuck whether he's supposed to be from Asgard or Jersey or what he's "supposed to" sound like. The accent sounds stupid and annoying.

Enlightened?
You sound like all those posters you used to make fun of in the Trek '09 threads prior to that movie's release: the ones posting about how horrible everything was and all the problems with the movie. All they were really posting about was their own bias, as is obviously the case with your comments in this thread.

So, please continue, as it makes for amusing reading now, and will probably be even more entertaining in a few months' time

Last edited by flemm; February 21 2011 at 03:24 AM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 07:40 PM   #715
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ You should change the words 'in this thread' to 'in every thread.' Then your comment would be 100% accurate.
Old February 20 2011, 08:43 PM   #716
captcalhoun
Admiral

maybe Thor's from a different part of Asgard where they all have Aussie accents.

big question is, what's Rene Russo going to sound like as Frigga. if she sounds Aussie, then clearly Thor got his accent from Mom.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2011, 08:51 PM   #717
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Yeah, I forgot about her. So there's probably an American accent in Asgard too.
Old February 20 2011, 09:02 PM   #718
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Jaimie Alexander, who's playing Sif, is also American. My guess is that she and Russo will alter their accents, but time will tell.
Old February 22 2011, 03:26 PM   #719
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No. But I generally don't expect to be by your contributions and you rarely disappoint.
Not my shortcoming.

Thor make make a lot of money, but that's no reason to pretend that it looks any good just to flatter the taste of the fan base.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; February 22 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 04:55 PM   #720
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm not the fan base, nor do I give a shit about what they think, and I think it looks like a lot of fun.