RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,466
Members: 25,790
Currently online: 496
Newest member: magnoliamanor

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old December 12 2010, 08:46 PM   #601
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Re: THOR-starts shooting Jan2010: Updates, Rumors & Casting till relea

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
From the first pictures i disliked the visual style of Asgard.. too polished and corporate HQ looking with all these shiny surfaces and high tech looking designs. I just hope the rest of the movie knocks it out of the park for me to overlook these choices.
My original preference would have been as Asgard very close to the one from the original myths, in terms of the aesthetic, technology, ethnicity, etc. The producers obviously decided to go in another direction, and I'm glad that, from the looks of it, they've committed fully to the idea that Marvel's Asgard is merely the inspiration for Norse mythology, in terms of world-building and visuals, rather than trying to have it both ways. This is a very distinct take that should leave no doubt in the viewer's mind that they are not to be conflated with what they might know of the source mythology. I'll be curious to see how things like Frost Giants actually pose a threat to such an advanced civilization, but generally I think this will work.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old December 12 2010, 09:39 PM   #602
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Well said.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2010, 10:04 PM   #603
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
My original preference would have been as Asgard very close to the one from the original myths, in terms of the aesthetic, technology, ethnicity, etc. The producers obviously decided to go in another direction, and I'm glad that, from the looks of it, they've committed fully to the idea that Marvel's Asgard is merely the inspiration for Norse mythology, in terms of world-building and visuals, rather than trying to have it both ways.
Marvel has, over the years, gone with different styles for Asgard, though. Jack Kirby's Asgard was gleaming and futuristic, like something you'd expect from the Legion of Super-Heroes. Other artists, like Walt Simonson, went with something more Nordic.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2010, 01:54 AM   #604
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Where's Orko?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2010, 02:00 AM   #605
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

An Asgard with everyone in furs and living in mud huts would've been absurd.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2010, 10:01 PM   #606
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Superherohype has a few cool pics from the inevitable tie-in game and a link to an interview with Hemsworth here:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...f-thunder-game

And here are some minimate toys:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...image-released
Old December 30 2010, 03:24 AM   #607
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

It looks like Hawkeye will be appearing in Thor.
Old December 30 2010, 06:56 PM   #608
flemm
Fleet Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Marvel has, over the years, gone with different styles for Asgard, though. Jack Kirby's Asgard was gleaming and futuristic, like something you'd expect from the Legion of Super-Heroes. Other artists, like Walt Simonson, went with something more Nordic.
The look and feel of Asgard seems very Kirby-inspired and, like those original stories, I expect there will be mythological elements mixed in with the more futuristic aspects of the film.

We've already seen that in the trailer, really, with the Frost Giants, who appear to be creatures of myth or heroic fantasy. Inevitably, concepts like Hel, Valhalla, Ragnorok, etc. will find their way into the film or future films with a bit of sci-fi tweaking.

"Your ancestors called it magic, you call it science. Where I come from, they are one and the same." This line from the trailer also speaks to a Kirby-esque blend of sci-fi and mythology.

From what I have read in various interviews, the main inspirations from the comics are Kirby and Simonson's classic work, as well as JMS' more recent run. With JMS, presumably it is the film's anchor in everyday affairs on earth that was most heavily influenced, Kirby for the blend of sci-fi and myth, Simonson for the epic feel and link to heroic fantasy (as well as just all-around awesomeness ).

Last edited by flemm; December 30 2010 at 07:06 PM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 01:13 AM   #609
Red Ranger
Admiral

Here is an interesting story from The Guardian about the so-called "controversy" over casting Idris Elba as Heimdall. It points out that so-called "ethnic casting" is more advanced in the theater than in movies, citing a number of black actors playing Shakespearean roles, and notes the all-black cast in a recent production of Tennessee Williams' Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

BTW, I like what I've seen in the trailer, including the Jack Kirby-esque version of Asgard.

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 01:29 AM   #610
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I've ignored that whole thread dedicated to this cooked up "controversy".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 04:29 AM   #611
Red Ranger
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I've ignored that whole thread dedicated to this cooked up "controversy".
It's actually pretty sad. On the one hand, if you're objecting to the casting choice as inaccurate re: the comics and the myths, as there's never been a black Heimdall, that's one thing. But it's another when it becomes a racial issue for neo-Nazis to foam at the mouth over. You should see the number of people on YouTube using the n-word to describe the actor. Pathetic.

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 07:57 PM   #612
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

If you just cant wait another 5 months, love spoilers and need to know the entire movie as it is on paper then this link is for you.

CBM has a plot run down of the whole rough cut test screening that was recently shown. Follow the above link to CBM.

There is one big spoiler that is NOT in spoiler code so know that before clicking. I was a bit surprised at who the character is, would've thought he was tied down elsewhere. The breakdown is in code where you have to click and highlight to see the bullet point breakdown. Which I didn't do.

It's assumed that someone else who saw this rough cut is where the Hawkeye rumor came from.
Old January 3 2011, 10:31 PM   #613
captcalhoun
Admiral

i love the way you go on about spoilers and the news of this character cameo not being in spoiler code AND THEN GO AND TELL US WHO IT IS!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 10:57 PM   #614
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I'm confused? I didn't mention the character in my post that is at that link? Are you really upset?

I'm not talking about Hawkeye, that's an older rumor given some new life. I'm talking about a much bigger character.
Old January 3 2011, 11:08 PM   #615
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
There is one big spoiler that is NOT in spoiler code so know that before clicking. I was a bit surprised at who the character is, would've thought he was tied down elsewhere.
I can't spot anything : /
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote