RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,683
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 850
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 14 2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Thurisaz
Lieutenant Commander

Would a Windows expert please help?

An old friend of mine gave me the Star Trek Encyclopedia on CD-Rom. I have a Mac running Windows XP in Parallels. It won't open. After further examination, the CD's say Macintosh OS7 and up : Windows 95-98. Well, Apple no longer supports classic environment, and XP won't open them either. Is there anything I can download in XP that will allow me to open 95-98 files? Thanks.
Thurisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 07:17 AM   #2
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: Would a Windows expert please help?

Thurisaz wrote: View Post
An old friend of mine gave me the Star Trek Encyclopedia on CD-Rom. I have a Mac running Windows XP in Parallels. It won't open. After further examination, the CD's say Macintosh OS7 and up : Windows 95-98. Well, Apple no longer supports classic environment, and XP won't open them either. Is there anything I can download in XP that will allow me to open 95-98 files? Thanks.
Odds are, you're boned.

that said... right-click on the program file, choose the compatibility tab, and select Windows 98. feel free to play around with the options, see if any of them help, nothing you select there will harm the PC.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Thurisaz
Lieutenant Commander

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Thurisaz wrote: View Post
Odds are, you're boned.

that said... right-click on the program file, choose the compatibility tab, and select Windows 98. feel free to play around with the options, see if any of them help, nothing you select there will harm the PC.
Didn't work. This sucks. If I can hunt down a 98 disk I can install another desktop. Shit, I was all happy.
Thurisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Garrovick

There is a lot of data on those CDs. You can get to most of it by just browsing the disc. Mostly text files and .mov files. If you are just curious to see what's on them.
Old May 14 2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

Now is as good a time as every to learn about dual-booting
Old May 14 2009, 04:10 PM   #6
jadasi
Cadet

A program like virtual windows should do this ... you would need to have a copy of Windows to install though... I often use it for testing small code i write across the different Win OS... you can pop open any OS you have installed in a window
jadasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Hermiod
Admiral

If you just want a Star Trek Encyclopedia, as good as the Okuda's one was, then I'd just go to Memory Alpha. It's a lot more comprehensive and much more up to date.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Garrovick

Hermiod wrote: View Post
If you just want a Star Trek Encyclopedia, as good as the Okuda's one was, then I'd just go to Memory Alpha. It's a lot more comprehensive and much more up to date.
Another advert for Memory Alpha?

And it runs on any OS connected to the Internet.
Old May 16 2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Apophis
Fleet Captain

Sheepshaver http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/ allows you to run the classic Mac OS inside OS X (Intel included). The copy I got included the classic Mac OS, so you don't need to buy anything.

I use it to play my old copy of Oregon Trail 2. Should work for what you want to do.
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote