USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 9 2009, 12:17 AM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: The "Let's Make Sense Of Heroes" Thread (Spoilers??)

Even a "mental" component has to have some physical link. If someone has telekinesis, they aren't literally thinking of how they're doing it, like to think about how to bake a cake by remembering a recipe.

The powers seem more akin to being able to see colors vs color blindness - it's something you have because your DNA built your brain and eyes that way. A color blind person can't learn to see color.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:27 AM   #32
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Even a "mental" component has to have some physical link. If someone has telekinesis, they aren't literally thinking of how they're doing it, like to think about how to bake a cake by remembering a recipe.
How else would they do it? Is there some extra organ or something doing the TK? As to the bake a cake thing, I don't know how to tell my heart to beat but my brain is doing that.

Though with things like Claire's blood that wouldn't work but have we seen that Sylar's blood will do the same thing or does he just have the ability?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 01:20 AM   #33
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

That's what get's me too, so he looks at their brain and figures out how their ability works, why should that suddenly mean he can copy the power? having the ability to understand how things work doesn't mean BAM you now have that ability.

In order to shapeshift it means his body must have special muscles etc which would be a genetic development and not something you can suddenly just get by studying someones brain.

Oh look, that's how that ability works, BAM his body suddenly gains these super muscles?

CRAZY!
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 04:15 AM   #34
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Tachyon Shield wrote: View Post
That's what get's me too, so he looks at their brain and figures out how their ability works, why should that suddenly mean he can copy the power? having the ability to understand how things work doesn't mean BAM you now have that ability.

In order to shapeshift it means his body must have special muscles etc which would be a genetic development and not something you can suddenly just get by studying someones brain.

Oh look, that's how that ability works, BAM his body suddenly gains these super muscles?

CRAZY!
Maybe he's always been a shapeshifter, he just didn't know it. But maybe he originally could only shapeshift the neurons and synapses of his brain, like the 1's and 0's that are actually physically written to the media of your computer in order to store information and be read back later?

In your computer's binary code - yknow the 111000111 thing - a 1 is actually the presence of an electrical charge, and a 0 is the absense, or maybe it's the other way around, but that's basically how it works - some physical change stores information in your computer that later can be retrieved.

So if Sylar changes a synapse in his brain from a 1 to a 0, that might store a little bit of information that later is used with a whole lot of other bits of information to compile a power like TK. I don't see how he can store and retrieve this ability otherwise.

Sylar's real power is the ability to rewrite his brain like it's a computer disc with any information whatsoever, and to do so intuitively, simply by willing it. Which is a frakkin' amazing ability when you think about it.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; May 14 2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old May 14 2009, 06:10 PM   #35
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Maybe he's always been a shapeshifter,
Too convenient and doesn't explain the countless other abilities he's gained like magic. At least with peters old mimic ability one can argue his bodys DNA was made to alter itself and had been that way since birth only to be switched on by an eclipse. Sylars ability isn't a mimic ability and never has been.
Old May 14 2009, 06:51 PM   #36
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

What abilities could Sylar not have been able to retain via shapeshifting his brain?

Remember they changed the rules so that he just needs to stand near someone and "absorb" their powers via I dunno telepathy? Maybe powers emit some form of radiation that he can sense? But once he's absorbed them, he could use shapeshifting of his brain to lock in those powers and re-create them later. So the issue here isn't even how he obtains the powers but how he re-creates them - that's where the shapeshifting comes in.

And sure it's convenient, but if that's an objection, then pretty much everything about Heroes is objectionable. I don't even care so much about shapeshifting being the rationale behind Sylar's ability, just trying to work thru how his powers actually work because it's interesting.
Old May 14 2009, 06:58 PM   #37
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I just wish Sylar couldn't also shapeshift his clothes. That's so dumb. At least on my show the shapeshifters have the common decency to strip the people they're imitating and steal their clothes from them.

If Sylar can shapeshift fabric and clothing, logic follows that he should be able to transform any sort of matter into something else, not just biological material.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 07:59 PM   #38
Hermiod
Admiral

It's easy. Sylar is a Changeling. The infiltration has begun.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 11:35 AM   #39
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

I like to think peoples abilities are a bit more unique than "they have a special genetic marker". I mean how can someone throw lightning from their hands? some chemical bodily reaction must take place to get electrons to flow and that requires special DNA in order to program the body to do that. How does someone fly? again special DNA which probably has the body make some kind of chemical reaction to produce anti-gravitic effect. With Peter I believe his DNA allowed his own body to scan others around him (like some kind of tricorder) and pick up on their ability and then Peters DNA re-programmed itself.
Sylar though? his ability should never have allowed him to copy or mimic, his ability is purely to understand the workings of things, now they try to make out he has the ability to alter his DNA like Peter had, so what they're saying is no only does he have the ability Peter had (to an extent) he's got an added bonus of knowing how things work?
It's ridiculous.