TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 4 2009, 04:57 AM   #16
Xerxes1979
Captain

Re: That's not MY ship...!

I am still partial to the Constitution refit.

Xerxes1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 05:55 AM   #17
curson
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to curson Send a message via AIM to curson Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to curson Send a message via Yahoo to curson

I'm not a big fan of the original 1701, but I've always liked the refit a lot.

This said, I have to admit the new JJ inprint on the re-designed Enterprise it's nice to my eyes, and definitely ticks some boxes here. In other words, I think I like it, a lot more than I like the whole idea of this upcoming movie. I've tried my best to stay positive, but all this "reboot/prequel" thing simply doesn't work for me.
It didn't work with ENT, it didn't work with the Star Wars prequels, and I fear it's not going to work with JJ's Star Trek... but at least, I won't blame the ship :P

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die."

Last edited by curson; May 4 2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: /* typo */
curson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:09 AM   #18
Karnbeln
Lieutenant Commander

This is a topic I would love to see visited by those who were around in the early days of post-TOS Trek. It seems like, nowadays, the refit is the one ship that everyone considers to be beautiful. But I know that couldn't have always been the case. There had to be people who couldn't stand the many changes to the TOS model. I imagine we don't hear from them too much anymore because they fell out of fandom as the franchise rapidly changed, or they are just quiet after so many years of arguing the point.

If the latter is the case, I assure anyone that I, at least, will be most interested in what you have to say. As a 21 year old, I have never known a time before the Enterprise-D was on screen or the TOS movies were completed. The original 1701 was delightfully cheesy until I was old enough to appreciate its simple design on my own. A differing take on the refit would be most interesting.

As for myself, I've never had a problem with an Enterprise design, even the NX-01. It probably helps that I was unaware of the Akira when Enterprise premiered, but even now I can stomach the similarities to the Akira easily- it's only in their top-down profiles that they are the same, afterall. And knowing that the producers wanted to stick in the Akira wholesale makes me appreciate just how much love and effort went into Doug Drexler and the rest of the art department's efforts to de-evolve the ship into a passible pre-tos design that would make it past the suits. I could see why the D was sacrificed for the E- the E just has a better profile for movies. We see the D has a beautiful piece of design, but we're Trekkies. We understand the ships like the average movie-goer doesn't. From that perspective, the aerodynamic (yes, in a vacuum) shape of the E is much more appealling to the eye than the top-heavy D. It looks like it can go fast, and the fact that it is more reminiscent to the refit when filmed from certain angles probably makes the images shout "Star Trek".
Karnbeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 08:48 AM   #19
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I'm still pleasantly amazed at the number of refit elements that made it into the Abramsprise. Someone's been doing their homework when, really, they had every right not to. I appreciate those details. It might also imply that if the timeline is indeed changed, Abrams Trek is at a technological and engineering level that's above TOS but approaching the movies, therefore technology is slightly more advanced.

Anyway... I want to like the Ambassador. I really do. A midway design between the Excelsior and the Galaxy makes sense, but ultimately the ship feels like it really was designed as if the Galaxy came first and then trimmed down with a few Excelsior elements here and there. It doesn't feel like a true vessel in her own right, but rather just a slightly polished kitbash, in my opinion. Almost there, but not quite fit to carry the mantle of the Enterprise.
Old May 4 2009, 10:16 PM   #20
caisson2delta
Captain

Karnbeln wrote: View Post
This is a topic I would love to see visited by those who were around in the early days of post-TOS Trek. It seems like, nowadays, the refit is the one ship that everyone considers to be beautiful. But I know that couldn't have always been the case. There had to be people who couldn't stand the many changes to the TOS model. I imagine we don't hear from them too much anymore because they fell out of fandom as the franchise rapidly changed, or they are just quiet after so many years of arguing the point.

If the latter is the case, I assure anyone that I, at least, will be most interested in what you have to say. As a 21 year old, I have never known a time before the Enterprise-D was on screen or the TOS movies were completed. The original 1701 was delightfully cheesy until I was old enough to appreciate its simple design on my own. A differing take on the refit would be most interesting.

As for myself, I've never had a problem with an Enterprise design, even the NX-01. It probably helps that I was unaware of the Akira when Enterprise premiered, but even now I can stomach the similarities to the Akira easily- it's only in their top-down profiles that they are the same, afterall. And knowing that the producers wanted to stick in the Akira wholesale makes me appreciate just how much love and effort went into Doug Drexler and the rest of the art department's efforts to de-evolve the ship into a passible pre-tos design that would make it past the suits. I could see why the D was sacrificed for the E- the E just has a better profile for movies. We see the D has a beautiful piece of design, but we're Trekkies. We understand the ships like the average movie-goer doesn't. From that perspective, the aerodynamic (yes, in a vacuum) shape of the E is much more appealling to the eye than the top-heavy D. It looks like it can go fast, and the fact that it is more reminiscent to the refit when filmed from certain angles probably makes the images shout "Star Trek".
I, for one, never had an issue with the refit. I found it far more pleasing visually as well as liking the improvements. It never bothered me that the TOS ship was changed so much. I grew so accustomed to this design, that I could not accept the E-D for many years.

This new ship, I'm not so sure about. Perhaps, in time, it will grow on me as well. I can't help but think that perhaps, in a sequel, we may see something a bit more familiar in regards to an upgrade or something.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 11:22 PM   #21
Plum
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
I didn't like the Enterprise D when I first saw it, but got to like it quite a bit.

I thought the Enterprise E was hideous at first, and still do.
Mm, yes. The clam shell design and the stealth enterprise, respectively.

The only concern I've ever had was whether the design was to my taste. Like Dennis, I needed to warm-up to the E-D. I never cared much for the E-E. The thing looked like it was gonna stab me then shoot a smart missile down my chimney.

As for the 'timeline affected' enterprise in the new film I am thrilled that it looks like the enterprise. The details are a matter of taste, it's still the same shape. I love that about the design, 'cause, hey, coulda been a clam shell.
Old May 4 2009, 11:36 PM   #22
ltcmmanderdata
Lieutenant Commander

i didn't like the refit enterprise in tmp. it made me want the ship from the tv series back.
ltcmmanderdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 12:44 AM   #23
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Oh, please elaborate, ltcmmanderdata. I'm very interested in people with this perspective.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 02:13 AM   #24
miraclefan
Commodore

^I second! don't just say you don't like it, tell us why?

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 05:12 AM   #25
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I like all the designs for various reasons they seem to have pros and cons. Some are love at first sight others grow on me like the NX-01 and the Trek XI Enterprise. At least the designs for Voyager and the Defiant aren't Enterprises so they don't have as much to live up to.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 05:20 AM   #26
roguephoenix
Captain

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
My only concern about the new ship was how it would contradict a continuity with what has gone on before. I find I really have to push the bounds of plausibility to say that this is the same ship that we saw all those years on TOS.

As for how it looks, I think it's a neat looking vessel, otherwise.
i think that's the point. when you come into tech that enables you to do better wouldn't you?
roguephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 04:56 PM   #27
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

^^^It isn't the more advanced FX technology that I've difficulty with. It's the purely aesthetic changes. But again, this is under the subject of continuity.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 05:06 PM   #28
El Chupacabra
Commodore

Being a TOS loyalist in the 80s I was vehemently opposed to the Enterprise-D and I have to say that I am still not fond of it. It doesn't evoke a space vessel when I see it, rather something designed to look pretty. That didn't cut it for me and I much prefer the Enterprise-E. I must say though, I prefer all of the Enterprises over the Defiant and Voyager, the latter two just don't cut it, irrespective of the quality (or lack thereof) of the shows they are from.
El Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 06:45 PM   #29
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Have to say I loved the refit. Almost brought tears to my eyes in at the theater as it was first flown by and then shown in all its glory. Was less happy when the added the "A" to it. I cant remember to many people who disliked the design back then but ther wasnt any place to really discuss it.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 10:05 PM   #30
ltcmmanderdata
Lieutenant Commander

responding to praetor and miraclefan. i just preferred the way the ship looked on the original show is all. changing the ship in tmp seemed almost like recasting one of the major characters with a different actor. that's all it is.
ltcmmanderdata is offline   Reply With Quote