Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 3 2009, 02:31 AM   #31
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Shuttlebay 02 - USS Enterprise 1701 D - TNG

Very good modeling here. I've always wanted to do a similar project but of the Original Series Hanger Deck.

Point of interest, your French expression "Mounting White" I think is equivalent to the English expression "Dry Fit".

Keep up the good work!

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 09:19 AM   #32
Capt Dazio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Impressive progress!
That honeycomb pattern has always been tricky to recreate because it´s not flat but each cell actually bulges out to each side and has a rounded profile:
This window with relief in honeycomb stitch raises me problems. I did not manage to find an equivalent material. Then, I am obliged to use a visual stratagem. I made a test and the result is acceptable.
Capt Dazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 09:25 AM   #33
Capt Dazio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Albertese wrote: View Post
Very good modeling here. I've always wanted to do a similar project but of the Original Series Hanger Deck.

Point of interest, your French expression "Mounting White" I think is equivalent to the English expression "Dry Fit".

Keep up the good work!

--Alex
Hello Alex,
These projects frighten always a little. Nevertheless, they are accessible, but they take time.

Thank you for the expression " Dry Fit ", I did not know it. It is nice
Old May 3 2009, 12:35 PM   #34
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Great Work there
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 01:20 PM   #35
Galen82
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Galen82

Woah this is really amazing work dude. Cant wait to see it complete.
Galen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 01:40 PM   #36
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

I am amazed not only by your attention to detail but also by your speed. All I would have managed to do in 24 hours is glue my fingers together and impale myself upon my X-Acto knife
Old May 3 2009, 03:19 PM   #37
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral

This is amazing work! I thought for sure that the scale was much larger until the shot of your hand. Your shuttlebay is going to look excellent when finished, I'm sure.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 03:52 PM   #38
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Capt Dazio wrote: View Post
To be able to move, I owe finalize the gantry of Shuttlebay. On one hand the realization of a window with cell - hexagons (for that, I have maybe an unexpected solution).

On the other hand, and it is this part which blocks me, the realization of a system of lifting of the aforementioned gantry.
Indeed, not being able to resolve me to opt for an opened or closed gate, nor to leave totally this model in a static state (I have already begun the illumination of certain parts), I wish to make mobile doors. But impossible to reach it once quite fixed.

Here is the plan of the mechanism that I suggest making.

A solution: trammel, Pulleys, Gearings, belts
This sort of material is not difficult to find. You may have to look someplace you weren't planning to, however.

I recommend looking at desktop lamps... the ones which use fluorescent tubes. They often have molded-plastic diffusers which are almost exactly what you're looking for.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 03:41 PM   #39
Capt Dazio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

For reminder, here is my gate.

The simplicity must be rigorous. I wished, at first, to motorize the set, but at the bottom what counts, it is that the curtain is functional.
The objective is to arm itself with pieces to elaborate the set, is :
- A trammel,
- A gearing doubles,
- a worm on axis,

I cannibalized an old-fashioned electronic device (finally, even some), to find a worm and a gearing there.
No available trammel, thus the obligation was made make it myself. Near 8cm of length, 3mm of wide, and 3 hours and a half of work later....

The worm is évidement not as I wish it. It is thus advisable to adapt it to my needs. I just hold the black axis, the rest must be accommodated.

Old May 5 2009, 03:55 PM   #40
Capt Dazio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The second stage: take up a plastic section of wall and link it with the structure which supports the gate...

The trammel is realized with the classic plastic (Evergreen). It is a little bit soft and I hope that teeth are not too much going to wear out.

Difficult to make tries before a fixed assembly. By making the tests, just with the trammel and the gearing clocked with a nail, the result was convincing. But with the gate in more....

.... The gate leaves fault and blocks ... I opted voluntarily for a single system of training. Because it was simpler and because I possessed only a single set, of equipment. I began to doubt seriously my system and imagined an alternative.

I decide to maintain my choice, betting that with guides on both sides of my frame, I shall oblige the gate to slide straight ahead, since pieces would be fixed. Besides I thought, that so smooth as possible, the friction could have played me on tricks. So I decide to buy a spray of dry teflon. It is necessary to me, at all costs, to go at the end of my idea.

The system will not be electric, but it is necessary, all the same, think of its training a simple crank should agree. I make, plastic, a square piece which I once file dry and which I introduces into the tube connected with the worm.

I create holds but I am allowed the possibility unsettle if the need arises. It would be only for the future maintenance.

My system is ended.
Old May 5 2009, 04:03 PM   #41
Capt Dazio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is my system going to work? Answer in photos!!!

Oh YES (As said Dean martin) !!! The satisfaction me invaded !!!!!
The gate rises and comes down without any effort or tear. There is a luck only for the villains!
You will notice saw them unsightly, to the right.
Temporary, they will soon disappear.
Just for the pleasure, the sight on the space, for a trial flight on the enterprise...

Here is the first ended stage. According to my progress, I would post the other photos of Shuttlebay 02. I hope in any case that it will please you as much as I feel some pleasure to build this model.
Old May 6 2009, 08:03 PM   #42
Capt Dazio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

As I quoted it previously, a hoist is an inescapable accessory in in a shuttlebay.
In the same way as lamps, the hoist is never shown in the series, worse it is not even hinted.
For all that, it was necessary appear there.
Three points mattering for it:
- its localization,
- its dimension,
- its shape.

The localization: never visible, it was evident that the only possible place had to be in this dead angle, never exploited in the series. Having said that, in spite of my efforts, I go out of the frame of the "discretion" (such as he appears on my model, it would have been visible during the shooting !)

The dimension: this hoist is in the size of a shuttle of type 15 (the smallest of the series). As I had to indicate it somewhere in another post, the shuttle of type 6 is too important for having its port of registry in this shed. I thus have create a hoist for the only maintenance of shuttlepod typ 15.

The shape: what to say furthermore that what shows the image. This shape is not incompatible in the standart " Starfleet ". Furthermore, it is rather elegant.

I cut a simple rectangular shape, and make a plastic frame ....

Platform adapted to the typical shuttlepod type 15 ...

Here its localization. As I say it higher, the hoist extends beyond a few the frame that the imperative pictures of the series imposed it.

Last edited by Capt Dazio; May 6 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 6 2009, 08:18 PM   #43
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Jesus freaking Christ, this is amazing. Are you even sleeping?
Old May 6 2009, 08:34 PM   #44
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I was wondering that myself. Capt Dazio's work continues to impress.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:52 PM   #45
lennier1
Rear Admiral

It´s hard to come up with new comments since he already knows that it´s some really great work he´s doing.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote