Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2009, 09:14 PM   #1441
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Gertch wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
I liked the lens flares. They were exciting!
Damn. I'm going to have to watch for these next time because I don't remember seeing one.
Indeed. The only reason I noticed them was honestly because I was thinking of this place. They never really bothered me though. It was a unique look.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 09:45 PM   #1442
agordy85
Ensign

I agree. I actually liked that flare effect because it made me feel like I was on the bridge and seeing the anomaly on screen, or I was in a well lit bar. It's almost trademark worthy for J.J.
agordy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 09:50 PM   #1443
Skywalker
Admiral

I just got home after finally getting to see the movie, and I absolutely loved it. It was fun, it was exciting, it was fast-paced; Star Trek hasn't been this entertaining in years. The story nor the writing were perfect, and I think the movie could have really benefited from some on-set fine-tuning that they weren't able to do because of the Writers' Strike. But it was more than good enough. The actors were all fantastic, and totally nailed their characters. The standouts, for me, were Pine, Quinto, and Urban, which is probably a good thing since they're playing the Big Three. I really wish I hadn't watched that clip of Bones' introduction a few weeks ago, because seeing that for the first time on the big screen would have been magnificent.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 10:00 PM   #1444
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Nimthim wrote: View Post
My girls took me to see the movie for Mother's Day and I have tried to catch up with this thread to see other's opinions and takes before posting - don't want to be too repetitive. In a nutshell, we all loved it!!
We have different points of view - my 16 YO has never watched scifi and, god bless her, she is the quintessential blonde cheerleader stereotype, although she is an honor student - my 32 YO is a science/math geek who has marginally enjoyed Trek, especially Kirk & Co., since she was a kid - and I am a somewhat geeky fan who got hooked on TOS in 1966 when I was 12. But, in the end, we really agreed on what we enjoyed about the movie.
Maybe it's a chick's point of view, but we really connected to the character development, the humor, the coming-of-age journey of both Kirk and Spock, the idea of finding your true friends in life, and low-key portrayal of Nero. The special effects, space battles, etc. were exciting, but not overdone, and by no means the central function of the movie, although the younger said some bits made her feel like she was in science class (not her favorite subject).
The elder daughter and I felt that the new cast gave us the essential elements of our favorite characters, and then spun some great new twists on them - we like these newer versions mucho grande. The younger had no frame of reference, but likes the characters very much - she really liked Chekov and was impressed that he is only 17. Since my family name is Pike, and my brother named his son after Capt. Pike, we have a fondness for the great portrayal of Pike by Greenwood. I liked the ordinariness of Nero with his random fits of maniacal madness. I don't like many of the over-the-top villians that are so common and overdone in movies so often.
I like the differences in this universe, especially those for Spock. There is tremendous potential to give these characters amazing new adventures. We agreed on keeping Vulcan destroyed, and although you might consider it a stretch that all these young officers ended up on the Enterprise, there is no more suspension of disbelief asked of the viewer than in almost any Trek movie or episode, or many other stories for that matter. Really didn't impact my enjoyment in any way.
We noticed the Spock/Uhura undercurrents from their first scene together. I thought the scene in the turbolift (when she tried to comfort him and got his Vulcan 'stiff upper lip' in response) showed a deep connection, caring, and understanding between these two - an extreme rarity in Trek to date, and a very welcome addition. We totally loved Kirk and Scotty responding to the kiss on the transporter pad.
So many things about Kirk's developing character that we found interesting - I'll just mention that one of the most telling for me was his diving off the platform after Sulu ('I don't believe in no-win scenarios'). And I loved that Vulcans and Romulans could totally whip his ass - one thing I hated about ENT was that Archer could always beat up any stronger alien.
In the end, when you pay your money to see the movie of your choice, you hope that the (fictional) story entertains you to your money's worth. We felt completely entertained BEYOND our money's worth, and that is what matters.
Old May 11 2009, 10:18 PM   #1445
Trek Bob
Ensign

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
lawman wrote: View Post
It would have been easy enough to explain away Vulcan's and/or Earth's paucity of defenses.
Vulcan was clueless. They thought it was only natural phenomena. Earth didn't have defenses because Nero had the defense net codes after torturing Pike and they had already sent their ships to be destroyed earlier. Those points were mentioned in the movie. If you didn't like that story, that's up to you, but saying it was "lazy writing" is an odd argument because these points were actually explained.

Im sorry, I agree with the "lazy writing" analysis. See, I think that the writers tried to jam too much back story into a short 2 hour film. Personally, I think that certain things did need a more elaborate set up and a much more in-depth development. For instance, if it is true that they had already sent their ships to destroy Earth's defenses, a quick 1 minute shot of those ships attacking Earth's defenses would have cleared that right up. That said, since when does a mining ship have enough fire power to take out EARTH's defense net?? One little mining ship would never have been enough for that.
Remember, we're not bashing on the movie just to bash... we're doing it because we care and want the writers to fix it the next time around (and believe me, I DO hope there is another one). Through all its faults, this movie did excite me about the franchise again and I'd be more than happy to see the next one. All I ask is not to have my intelligence insulted by one of my favorite series, thats all.
Trek Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 10:30 PM   #1446
Nimthim
Lieutenant

Trek Bob wrote: View Post
lawman wrote: View Post
It would have been easy enough to explain away Vulcan's and/or Earth's paucity of defenses.
Vulcan was clueless. They thought it was only natural phenomena. Earth didn't have defenses because Nero had the defense net codes after torturing Pike and they had already sent their ships to be destroyed earlier. Those points were mentioned in the movie. If you didn't like that story, that's up to you, but saying it was "lazy writing" is an odd argument because these points were actually explained.

Im sorry, I agree with the "lazy writing" analysis. See, I think that the writers tried to jam too much back story into a short 2 hour film. Personally, I think that certain things did need a more elaborate set up and a much more in-depth development. For instance, if it is true that they had already sent their ships to destroy Earth's defenses, a quick 1 minute shot of those ships attacking Earth's defenses would have cleared that right up. That said, since when does a mining ship have enough fire power to take out EARTH's defense net?? One little mining ship would never have been enough for that.
Remember, we're not bashing on the movie just to bash... we're doing it because we care and want the writers to fix it the next time around (and believe me, I DO hope there is another one). Through all its faults, this movie did excite me about the franchise again and I'd be more than happy to see the next one. All I ask is not to have my intelligence insulted by one of my favorite series, thats all.
One little mining ship?????? Did you not see the expositional shot of the Kelvin beside the Narada - worse than a rowboat taking on an aircraft carrier.
Nimthim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 10:35 PM   #1447
Trek Bob
Ensign

One little mining ship?????? Did you not see the expositional shot of the Kelvin beside the Narada - worse than a rowboat taking on an aircraft carrier.
Not enough for its ships to take out the planet's defenses I would think.
Old May 11 2009, 10:38 PM   #1448
The Great Meech
Vice Admiral

Well, that was fantastic.

The general air of swashbuckling adventure that gave TOS its charm pervades the new movie, and in some ways the new movie exceeds its source material--I'm especially thinking of how characters other than the Big 3 all got something to do.

Yes, there were problems--Urban's McCoy is a little too similar to DeForest Kelley's, Nero couldn't be more one dimensional if he were a straight line, and the technobabble was a little too dumb for its own good. But the raw, unfettered fun overwhelms those quibbles and makes Star Trek an excellent, excellent movie.
Old May 11 2009, 10:39 PM   #1449
Trek Bob
Ensign

Besides, Its still a mining ship not a battleship.
Old May 11 2009, 10:42 PM   #1450
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Besides, Its still a mining ship not a battleship.
And Starfleet vessels are science and exploration vessels, not battleships.
Old May 11 2009, 10:48 PM   #1451
Nimthim
Lieutenant

Since they got the codes from Pike, why couldn't they?
Nimthim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 10:54 PM   #1452
dkehler
Fleet Captain

I'll just say that all the people voting excellent and saying this is the best Star Trek film ever, I hope I don't see any of you looking down your noses at Independence Day and Armageddon, as has been quite common around these parts.
Old May 11 2009, 10:58 PM   #1453
Mr. Chubbykins
Captain

astrodeb wrote: View Post
Someone please tell the writers that the chain of command on a military vessel is not the same as choosing players for dodge ball or pickup football.
*snort* It could be worse. They could have rock-paper-scissors'd for it

Ooooh... what happens if Spock plays Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock ?
Old May 11 2009, 11:01 PM   #1454
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I'm late getting in this thread, don't have my own computer and It's now summer so I'm not at The university.

I've already seen the movie a few times and love it. It exceeded my expectations and is a near perfect Trek film

Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 11:04 PM   #1455
adamisme
Lieutenant Commander

Robert_T_April wrote: View Post
adamisme wrote: View Post
as a BIG Trek fan who had become jaded with Enterprise and Nemesis, i'm not sure how I felt about a reboot of Star Trek, but when I saw the 1st proper trailer I was delighted with the trailer it actually got me excited for the film. Then I saw the film itself and I wasn't disappointed, I thought it was the best Trek Film i'd seen since First Contact, had action,adventure,conflict,humour, everything needed for a Star Trek Film. Not sure how it will affect the future of the old series, but then it could be that despite this hiccup in the timeline, the original series now happens with slight differences such as it would be Vulcan 2.0 that they go to, to restore Spock after he dies etc
The fact that all of future Spock's memories were still intact says that the original timeline did happen. If those events didn't happen, the older Spock may not have existed, or may not have had any recollection of the timeline we all know happened...

It's confusing, but interesting nonetheless.
Time Travel gives me a headache The way I see it everything pre this film happened, its just the effect of Nero coming back in time to the point where Kirk was born changed everything after that. Future Spock wasn't affected because he was caught in the phenomenan that sent him back in time, so was outside time when the obvious changes that happened to his past happened, so he remains unaffected with memory of the original timeline that happened without Nero interfering and destroying Vulcan.

Okay anyone got an asprin
adamisme is offline   Reply With Quote