Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10 2009, 06:06 PM   #1291
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Daniels, Braxton, and others like them are nothing more than the latest and greatest version of the reset button, which is exactly why this movie as so great- someone finally had the balls not to push it.
God forbid we ever run into another reset button. There was talk in the Movies forum about decanonizing Nemesis, and while I hate that movie, doing so would still be another reset button. Gotta take the good with the bad.
Old May 10 2009, 06:15 PM   #1292
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Daniels, Braxton, and others like them are nothing more than the latest and greatest version of the reset button, which is exactly why this movie as so great- someone finally had the balls not to push it.
God forbid we ever run into another reset button. There was talk in the Movies forum about decanonizing Nemesis, and while I hate that movie, doing so would still be another reset button. Gotta take the good with the bad.
I'm not entirely sure I followed where you were going with that... people are going to "decanonize" what ever they want. If they dislike something enough, then they just won't count it as part of their universe. And, I fail to see how that is a reset button. A reset button is nothing more than a way to do something gutsey, to put the characters in real peril, but at the end of the day they could undo any damage they caused. That's why there is generally no real peril or risk in Star Trek, because we could almost always count on either nothing happening or something does happen and they undo it.

I would rather they do something risky and shocking and leave it alone.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:45 PM   #1293
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I thought it was a good film and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old May 10 2009, 06:45 PM   #1294
Overbound
Ensign

I saw the movie and it was fantastic the action never lets up and its very cool to see the origin story in that aspect the film works well. I would also say it had the right amount of comedy there were several times the whole theater broke out in laughter it was almost the kind of laughter you see when there is a funny moment in Star Wars. I guess that makes sense JJ said he was trying to make Star Trek more like Star Wars in certain aspects.

That's not to say it didn't have problems, Nero could have been a better villain I think the trouble was, was he looked so evil that even after he says why he is tormented you think to yourself what ever your a freak. I also don't buy that that was a mining vessel that thing was massive and clearly meant for war.

What was up with Uhura and Spock? If they really needed a love interest for Spock why didn't they bring back Nurse Chapel I think its a better fit and it would be kind of nice to see them together after all the drama.

As far as the continuity goes I'm not really happy with that. I love this movie and I'm sure I'll love the ones following it. Spock losing his mother I could handle it would allow many things to remain cannon. But the destruction of Vulcan just took things too far now basically most every episode of Star Trek doesn't make sense and seeing the origin story doesn't really work now that I know that it couldn't have possibly happened that way for the TOS characters. You spend 40 years creating something just to be told guess what it doesn't count anymore.

I know why they did it because it freed them up to write stories they wanted to. But I always thought that the large universe and cannon was one of the cool things about Star Trek and now its gone. I know its hard keep all that cannon accurate and create good stories but shit Star Wars does it and they have a massive cannon: tv, comics, movies, games.

If they wanted to clean the cannon so to speak why did they do it like Bryan Singer did with Superman Returns keep the good get rid of the bad (Don't Say Superman Returns was bad it was great and even if you think it wasn't it had nothing to do with cannon). They could have said TOS is cannon, Movies are Cannon (except for 5 it was never cannon), and possibly TNG I'd would have preferred that but either way. That would make the cannon much smaller but still allow for a lot of flexibility.

I guess my biggest problem with the cannon issue is it will never be the same watching TOS or any Star Trek knowing now its not cannon on the current irradiation of Star Trek. Sigh writing this has upset me..
Overbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:53 PM   #1295
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Everything still happened in the old universe.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:54 PM   #1296
Aike
Commander

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Excellent

2. How did Nero know that he killed Kirk's father? That guy made very little sense. He seemed to just fill the plot when needed (including doing nothing for 25 years...).
He didn´t know that he killed Kirk´s dad. He was never after Kirk in the first place.
Aike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:58 PM   #1297
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I'm not entirely sure I followed where you were going with that... people are going to "decanonize" what ever they want. If they dislike something enough, then they just won't count it as part of their universe. And, I fail to see how that is a reset button. A reset button is nothing more than a way to do something gutsey, to put the characters in real peril, but at the end of the day they could undo any damage they caused. That's why there is generally no real peril or risk in Star Trek, because we could almost always count on either nothing happening or something does happen and they undo it.

I suppose I should clarify: lately in the Movies forum there was a poll on whether or not people would prefer to forget Nemesis. To me, that's still the equivalent of someone waking up and saying, "Oh, it was just a bad dream." And that's how I feel about reset buttons as well. It shouldn't be merely adequate to maintain the status quo if there's something huge going on complete with ramifications.

So fear not, i'm in agreement with you. I just related it to something happening on this very board
Old May 10 2009, 07:18 PM   #1298
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I suppose I should clarify: lately in the Movies forum there was a poll on whether or not people would prefer to forget Nemesis. To me, that's still the equivalent of someone waking up and saying, "Oh, it was just a bad dream." And that's how I feel about reset buttons as well. It shouldn't be merely adequate to maintain the status quo if there's something huge going on complete with ramifications.

So fear not, i'm in agreement with you. I just related it to something happening on this very board
Ok, thanks for the clarrification.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 07:37 PM   #1299
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Off for my 4th viewing of the movie.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 07:41 PM   #1300
Borgminister

Brent wrote: View Post
Off for my 4th viewing of the movie.
Hard to believe, I went 4 times to Nemesis, for crying out loud.

Got mother's day stuff to do and translation work due tomorrow, so I'm going to go then.

Oh--take a friend!
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 08:29 PM   #1301
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Saw it again today.

Warning to everyone, don't think about the film after you see it, it will only make you question your initial impression of it. When I saw it on Friday, I didn't love it like most people but I did enjoy it as a mindless action film but when you have time to really take a step back and digest everything that went on in the film the issues become more pronounced and the chinks in the armor really start to show. I think they crammed too much material into these two hours. By trying to do so many things none of them really receive the kind of development they deserved.

I started to realize that I intellectually recognized that the writers did something pretty bold and destroyed Vulcan yet when I was considering the assortment of plusses and minuses of the film that destroying Vulcan wasn't high up there. It wasn't carry the kind of shock and impact it really should have viscerally. This is afterall a founding member of the Federation and a world that has been part of Trek since the beginning yet its destruction carried about as much resonance as a nameless planet of the week or destroying a planet in a video game. It wasn't a grim sequence a la ENT's "Twilight". It seemed the writers wanted to do something big and decided to destroy Vulcan but they didn't do enough to do the idea the justice it deserved. Heck, DS9 manged to generate more reaction from me with just hearing that Betazed was occupied by the Dominion on DS9. As I was trying to figure out why it donned on me that there was so much else going on around it got lost in the mix--it was just one of a thousand plot points occurring in the film.

Yes, they tried to capture the loss with Spock in his scenes with Uhura and with Sarek but they didn't succeed for me. Not enough had been done to give those scenes the kind of richness demanded of them. And for a long time fan such as myself feeling this way I can only imagine the lack of resonance by the uninitiated who are just introduced to this race and its world. Same with Amanda's death, you really have to earn those emotional and visceral payoffs and just destroying a planet or killing off Spock's mother, which was a little iffy in its execution, doesn't automatically guarantee those expected responses especially since Amanda had sum total of about a minute of screentime. We had no reason to invest in it.

Nero is still a plot device and the vague, thin and fast peak into the events in the late 24th century that propels some of the film's important moments is disappointing and unsatisfying as it comes across as a macguffin and not a series of illuminating scenes informing the audience of why Nero is so angry. I also found Nero wanting as the person who so fundamentally changes the Trek universe. Think of all the times someone has tried it by messing with history and the best they could come up with was Nero?!? He certainly didn't measure up to that kind of stature. Bash ENT all you want, at least B&B did a good job providing the Sphere Builders and the Xindi plausible motivations for why they would want to change history. Also if you are a new fan I would imagine without the necessary exposition they really wouldn't understand who the Vulcans or Romulans are or what there relationship is. At least older fans have the idea of the dynamics at play here. ENT tried to introduce familiar races where new and old fans alike understood who they were.

I've seen some posters who had issues with Delta Vega being too close to Vulcan or the ludicrous science of the nova/blackhole/red matter--none of that stuff concerns me in the slightest. I also have no objection to Trek being mindless action adventure entertainment. I demand no social allegory or deep meditation. No, I don't think any of those are the issue. It was perfectly fine that the movie was over the top in the effects and action. Loved those elements but what really hurt it was the lack of depth with its villian, its plot, or its emotional payoffs. I think a lot of that was due to trying to do too much. It makes the film look cluttered. I don't know what it is with tv shows and films these days that they love piling way too much and jumping around from one thing to the next instead of focusing on a few specifics and giving them depth and time. Before I've appreciated what just happened and while I'm inthe middle of taking it in they are already on to something else. At times it can be maddening to keep up. At least at home if I didn't catch some bit of dialogue or I'm still thinking about what just took place I can rewind or pause but here it's "moving on!" I certainly don't want a show to drag but I think they could slow down a bit.

I have been feeling that a lot of these highly praised films like The Dark Knight and Star Trek are a little overrated. I think the quality of writing isn't as good as it used to be or maybe I've just become too jaded or cynical as a viewer but I don't believe so.

Last edited by startrekwatcher; May 10 2009 at 08:49 PM.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 08:30 PM   #1302
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I'm assuming now in the case of both Romulus (prime timeline) and Vulcan, that they at least had colonies. I figured during the first viewing of the movie that Vulcan's 10,000 rescued from the planet were just those rescued from the planet, not Vulcans on other worlds (colonies or just off-world.)

Another Vulcan planet might explain why Vulcan had BLUE skies, not red. I hope if we see Vulcans next movie, their skies are red.

One thing, these Vulcans were snotty, not just the kiddies giving Spock crap, but the adults as well. Hopefully, having their planet destroyed and then needing Federation (human) assistance will give them a new appreciation for humans and the realization that even though Vulcans are stronger physically and usually smarter than humans, that doesn't make 'em better.

I assume it'll knock out some of the arrogance of the race.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 08:36 PM   #1303
Docbrown777
Rear Admiral

I'd like to make a longer post but I don't have time.

Saw it for the first time last night and thought it was totally awesome! The opening and music, the way the Enterprise looked and moved around(Ex: rising from Titan), the cast and their behavior was great and very well done and I felt the comedy elements were done just right.

To sum it up I really enjoyed sitting there and watching this movie.
Old May 10 2009, 09:44 PM   #1304
agordy85
Ensign

Star Trek is officially back!!!

Well, it's taken me a few days to get to the site to post my review, as little as it will be, but I'm here now and I have to say...WOW! Star Trek was the best Trek movie I've ever seen in theaters. The scale of this movie was phenominal and the acting was 110%. Everyone brought their A-game and made this movie that much better. I also have to say this: the music was it's own monster! I could not get over how epic the score to this movie was. Alexander Courage and Jerry Goldsmith would be proud of Michael Giacchino for all the hard work he put into making the movie score as grand as the biggest space operas we've all seen. I just want to hug J.J. Abrams for breathing new life into the Star Trek franchise. I'm ready to see what's next for the crew of the Enterprise. I also have to say that I'm very happy for how well the movie is doing at the box office. Almost $80 million in it's opening weekend, and that's not including worldwide sales, so I can't wait to see what it will do in 2 weeks. They've already gotten 2 admissions from me, and I'm sure I'll go see it 2 MORE times before it leaves theaters, and then it's on to Blu Ray!
agordy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 10:07 PM   #1305
mrmyxyzptlk
Cadet

I LOVED the movie.
But is no one else creeped out by the Spock-Uhura thing? I could have done without that.
mrmyxyzptlk is offline   Reply With Quote