Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10 2009, 03:06 AM   #1081
flobo
Ensign

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I really liked this movie. The only complain i have is that we will have to wait 2 years for the next one.
The federation is weakened by the loss of vulcan and all of the federation enemies are back in a position of power. I'd prefer a series to deal with them, because with a movie every two years, it'll take centuries.
flobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:14 AM   #1082
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Many of us still demand that Star Trek at least try and maintain a certain level of intelligence in the storytelling.
By what right do you demand anything from the people who run the Star Trek franchise? It can't be based on your financial right. Without even knowing you I can guarantee that the total amount of money you've spent on Star Trek in your entire life essentially adds up to nothing in terms of Trek revenue. It can't be based on your creative right since you're not a contributing writer or artist. Nor do you have an owner's right since Trek is clearly owned by somebody else. So what is it then? Who exactly are you to demand anything?
As a self-respecting viewer and fan of this franchise, I demand to not have my intelligence insulted on a regular basis! That good enough for ya, Sparky!?!
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:16 AM   #1083
Zeppster
Commodore

BTW if Roddenberry had the choice Trek dies in 1969. Fans are why it stuck around.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:16 AM   #1084
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

J. Allen wrote: View Post
You show fear and bitter angst. You show uncertainty, hatred of what you don't understand, rage against a Star Trek you don't know, and more importantly, don't want to know.
WRONG!

I know and understand this attempted Star Trek perfectly.

No, you do not. You fear it, but you don't know it.

It's Paramount's final slaughtering of the golden goose, dumbed down to lowest common denominator to get the biggest bang and finally suck in that elusive mass audience that doesn't want to actually think about what they just saw, just go for a roller coaster ride and enjoy the buzz from the adrenaline rush, which was precisely what Roddenberry most feared would happen once he was gone.

So how in the hell people can claim that he would approve of his worst nightmare is beyond me.
As I said, you don't know it. You fear it and all it represents. Change.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:18 AM   #1085
Jolly Old Saint James
Rear Admiral

Many of us still demand that Star Trek at least try and maintain a certain level of intelligence in the storytelling.
By what right do you demand anything from the people who run the Star Trek franchise? It can't be based on your financial right. Without even knowing you I can guarantee that the total amount of money you've spent on Star Trek in your entire life essentially adds up to nothing in terms of Trek revenue. It can't be based on your creative right since you're not a contributing writer or artist. Nor do you have an owner's right since Trek is clearly owned by somebody else. So what is it then? Who exactly are you to demand anything?
As a self-respecting viewer and fan of this franchise, I demand to not have my intelligence insulted on a regular basis! That good enough for ya, Sparky!?!
You're not a real Star Trek fan.
Jolly Old Saint James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:18 AM   #1086
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Edited.
Old May 10 2009, 03:19 AM   #1087
Borgminister

Get off my lawn!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:19 AM   #1088
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
As I said, you don't know it. You fear it and all it represents. Change.

J.
"The greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear of the unknown. There is no such thing as the unknown - only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:21 AM   #1089
Tom Servo
Commodore

^ And this isn't baiting...how?
Cause it's the truth.

You seem to operate from the assumption that you are somehow intellectually superior to everyone on this board, and that because of that, you, and you alone, are the only person who knows how and why these shows were made.

You're wrong. You act like you were there. You weren't. People are citing sources showing how you are wrong, but you blow them off because dammit don't let facts get in the way of your vendetta.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:21 AM   #1090
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

James Bond wrote: View Post

Define "real Star Trek fan", bub.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:23 AM   #1091
Jolly Old Saint James
Rear Admiral

Not you?
Jolly Old Saint James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:23 AM   #1092
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Why should he have to? You define it everywhere you go with how you treat people who think differently than you. "Sauce for the goose, Mr. Saavik."

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:26 AM   #1093
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I went and saw it again tonight -I still must see this in IMAX- and I've got to say I just really enjoy and love this movie, I think the whole cast does well with their parts and in watching again the Engineering "sets" sat better with me. I could "reason" that the vats Krik and Scotty run past are the antimatter tanks in the deep bowels, or something. I wish they hadn't used a friggin' brewery for these "sets" but I'm alright with it.

I'm also, as I said in my review, OK with contnuity taking it in the ass and these very young characters being on the ship in the positions they're "not supposed to have" for a few more years. I'll take this as a whole new universe. I'm... "fine" with that.

What matters to me is that this movie is fun, entertaining, and well made (except for all of the god-damn LENS FLARES!!!) I enjoyed the reuse of the original theme over the first bit of the ending credits but I kind of wish they had Pine do the "Space the final frontier..." narration.

Really this is a good, fun, Star Trek movie the way it was meant to me and as I also said above, feels a lot more like the TOS cast and crew than the real one's OWN first movie did.

I'm sitting here watching "The Naked Time" right now.

And I know he's taken some heat, but I really did love Chekov in this. There's just something about the over-the-topness of his accent. I just wish they had him incorrectly attribute something to Russia.

I also kind of wish the Amok Time theme had been used in one of the fights in the movie. (One of the fight scenes had music that sounded vaugely similar to it, but I would've liked something a lot more obvious, I guess.)

Really this movie is a fun, excellent ride.

I maintain my "A" grade I gave it above (though I voted Excellent in this forum's poll) the only thing keeping it from an A+ is the destruction of Vulcan, the rape of canon, and the Enterprise's design look and other technichal aspects. Basically fan nonsense knocked this down a partial letter grade.

But all of these actors really did a great, great job with the characters. I mean, fantastic. My favorites are probably Chekov, McCoy and Scotty.

Though Spock, Sulu and Kirk were really, really well done too. (I don't think Pine quite "had" Shatner. But who really does?)

The only one I didn't completely "buy" was Uhura who a lot more exotic, womanly, mysteriousness to her than potrayed here.

But, man, this movie is just really fantastic. I've GOT to see this in IMAX! I would've tonight but they were all sold out! (Except the 10p show which is too late for me. But at 2:00 the 7 show was sold out!)

Great, great, movie. I can't say that enough.

Trekker, will still bitch about the "fan stuff" and other quibbles in the other threads, though.
Old May 10 2009, 03:26 AM   #1094
Dark Gilligan
Writer

No, it's not good enough. Not at all. Fans who make demands of people in the creative arts are pathetic. You act as if being entertained is a right, and that Star Trek is not living up to your demands. How dare you. If you're not happy with Star Trek in its current incarnation then simply walk away. Star Trek owes you nothing.

This thread is 55 pages long and you're throughout the bulk of it, bad-mouthing a film you haven't seen. Opinions have to be earned if they're to carry authority, and by your own admission you've earned zero. Your impotent rants have become quite tiresome.

Last edited by Dark Gilligan; May 10 2009 at 03:36 AM.
Dark Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:27 AM   #1095
JoeD80
Captain

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
Gene Roddenberry was a part-time journeyman TV writer, selling to the occasional show.
This part is not really accurate. He was not a "part-time journeyman TV writer". Although a freelance writer for a long time, he wrote pretty much constantly for TV from 1954 up to Star Trek. I wish I could write as many scripts as he did in only 10 years.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote