Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6 2009, 04:50 PM   #76
thumbtack
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
I had chills at the end of the movie, when Old Spock did his monologue!
I thought it was great that Old Spock is going to stay in the new universe and help the Vulcan survivors. It makes him seem even more heroic and self-sacrificing.
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:01 PM   #77
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Not that he has a way back, does he?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:03 PM   #78
The Super Brando
Lieutenant Commander

I gave the movie an excellent rating, because it's freaking excellent. Here's my review I posted in another thread:

<SPOILERS>
They did a great job at making the Enterprise feel big. On the inside the sets are big, and engineering was huge. The Enterprise also didn't maneuver like an xwing or fighter ship. It moved like a huge cruiser.

The outerspace scenes were also really great. I thought Star Wars Ep 3's opening scene over Coruscant was the pinnacle of space scenes in movies, but it's now been supplanted. There wasn't any battle between fleets like that, but as far as spaceships in outerspace, Star Trek now owns that territory. I mean, it was beautiful to see.

It also was futuristic. It basically looked nothing like TOS. But they did incorporate all of the old sound effects for the ship, and it actually didn't sound out of place.

The bridge of the Kelvin and Enterprise really seemed like the command center of a large advanced vessel, with various stations communicating and being busy with ship operations. It felt as if you actually needed a full crew to run the ship.

I think they also did a great job at making the Romulans, and space in general, feel creepy and mysterious. When they came across a strange gravity anomaly it felt like a weird deep space mysterious thing. When the Kelvin was facing this huge alien octopus ship it just nailed that feeling of creepy alienness.

Simon Pegg sounded exactly like Scotty, it was eery.

The lens flare actually was pretty ridiculous. I read how JJ wanted to give a feeling like the future was literally bright and shiny and clean and optomistic, and that's cool, but it was just a little too much. Having said that, it was (I think) the only flaw of the movie, and it was minor. The pure awesomeness of that movie simply could not be diminished by something like that at all.

Btw, this most definitely was not an empty-headed summer popcorn flick. It wasn't just Michael Bay 'splosions. The destruction of Vulcan was handled very well. It had a huge emotional impact. The main characters were well developed, and the movie really is about them. Kirk and Spock are the center of this movie, and they're character arcs are done very well.

Most importantly, at it's core this was a Star Trek movie. It wasn't something else pretending to be Star Trek (like Smallville is a teeny angst show pretending to be a superhero show, or BSG was a gritty drama pretending to be scifi). The characters really were the characters we all know and love, the ships were exploration ships, Starfleet officers were intelligent respectable somebodies, and the future was advanced and optimistic.

Honestly, for anyone who doesn't like this movie, I just simply can't understand the way your brain works. I think there's two kinds of people who aren't going to like this movie: those who are close-minded and won't accept any scifi at all, and those who are close-minded and anal about their Trek.

This was just a great movie. Star Trek is back. I hope they make 10 sequels, and spin-off TV shows, and I hope this new Trek lasts 50 more years.
Old May 6 2009, 05:48 PM   #79
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
What I'd like to see is some veteran Trek writers taking advantage of all this hype and putting together a pitch for a new series that stays within the established continuity, maybe even a Captain April series (hey, I'm biased; sue me). After all, there's a five year period that's begging to be told, and if it's still going strong, and Ray Liotta is up for it, sign him up as Pike and keep rolling for a while (I don't know if it'd be workable to do a retelling of "The Cage" or just skip around it, from the fight on Rigel VII to their finally getting to the Vega colony, and maybe just deal with the fallout from Talos and Starfleet's enacting of General Order VII).
That's just not going to happen. It's full speed ahead with this new and signifigantly improved timeline. Seems you're the only one "begging" for that particular story to be told.
Old May 6 2009, 06:38 PM   #80
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
That's just not going to happen. It's full speed ahead with this new and signifigantly improved timeline.
Yep.

There's already fan fic, and fan films, and that's where this kind of stuff will and should stay.
Old May 6 2009, 06:38 PM   #81
thumbtack
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
Not that he has a way back, does he?
Well, it's Star Trek. They even come back from death in Star Trek. But he does make it clear he's not going to spend the rest of his life looking for a way back.
thumbtack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 06:51 PM   #82
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

At this point I'd expect him to spend the rest of his life looking for a Barcalounger and comfortable loafers.
Old May 6 2009, 08:57 PM   #83
EyalM
Captain

Spoilers!
Just got back from seeing it. The movie theater was awful (it was the only one showing the movie today) but the movie was fantastic. I was genuinely surprised by the fate of some characters that I expected to perish and by those I didn't. The look of the movie is fantastic, although I can spot some green screen work on the Delta Vega (which is apparently in orbit around Vulcan....).
I did wish we could see more of the Kobayashi Maru test and some more from Nero.

Planing on seeing it tommorow in the most state of the art theater in town
Old May 6 2009, 09:07 PM   #84
Bounty
Commander

Delta Vega (which is apparently in orbit around Vulcan....).
I'm thinking that was more symbolic... or you know... <quantum>. If it was that close you'd expect Scotty to be the least bit bothered. Also, it'd mean that the Enterprise was cruising at high warp but was still going slower-than-light somehow.

Actually... was that maybe a hologram? Nero sure loves them...
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 09:32 PM   #85
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Furiously shuttling between the Prime and Alternate Universes...
Send a message via Yahoo to Kruge

I cannot wait....9:55 pm tommorow night

It seems like Those Who Bash Prematurely have only one wish in this world: to see stories they already know the ending to fleshed out on the big (or even little screen)

Yeah that's a great idea...let's re-do "The Cage", shot for shot, line by line...that way, we dare not take any risks in violating sacred Canon...

Why spend so much money and time writing a script and filming a movie that we already know the ending to? Where is the creativity in that? That is not art, that is facsimlie...Honestly, you nitpickers are the most uncreative, boring people I have run across in a long while...you love Star Trek and respect it's supposed continuity (I say supposed because to try to tie together the glaring inconsitancies of "The Cage" and the first season of TOS would take a greater amount of suspension of disbelief than Abram's version...is it the United Space Vehicle Enterprise? Was it launched by UESPA? Should Spock smile as he does in the Cage? Has the "time barrier" been broken? Will we be using lasers? Is it really in the 23rd century, or even earlier (as suggested by Kirk a number of times in the series)

I think of this as a pocket-universe, like with Marvel Comics...right now, it's an offshoot, a sort of self-contained Ultimates version of Star Trek, a stand-alone story that, as the years go on, will eventually become the main continuity...Why cant it be enjoyed as such?

Sorry for getting of track...again, can't wait!!
Old May 6 2009, 09:43 PM   #86
indranee
Vice Admiral

Bounty wrote: View Post
I'm thinking that was more symbolic... or you know... <quantum>. If it was that close you'd expect Scotty to be the least bit bothered. Also, it'd mean that the Enterprise was cruising at high warp but was still going slower-than-light somehow.

actually, I'd have liked it better if there'd been a bit of the Immunity Syndrome stuff in here. Spock Prime feels Vulcan's death.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 09:45 PM   #87
Bounty
Commander

indranee wrote: View Post
Bounty wrote: View Post

actually, I'd have liked it better if there'd been a bit of the Immunity Syndrome stuff in here. Spock Prime feels Vulcan's death.
Hence the "symbolic" suggestion. The scene itself is vague enough to allow for it. It is, after all, a flashback from Spock's POV.
Old May 6 2009, 09:48 PM   #88
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I was under the impression that Delta Vega was in the same system as Vulcan...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 09:50 PM   #89
Bounty
Commander

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
I was under the impression that Delta Vega was in the same system as Vulcan...
It just can't be. The Enterprise left the Vulcan system at warp, there's the scene of the crew discussing what they'll do next, and someone needs to drag Kirk to an escape pod. At the speeds the new Trek ships travel at, the Enterprise would have been lightyears from Vulcan. Not to mention that Delta Vega's orbit would be ruined if it were really that close. Or that, again, Scotty might have wanted to ask what had happened.
Old May 6 2009, 09:52 PM   #90
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Nope, the Enterprise did not leave Vulcan at warp! Impulse only.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote