Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2009, 11:44 PM   #751
M
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

If I'm not mistaken, the guy sitting next to Admirals Komack (whose name is very likely a reference to an admiral with the same name from TOS) and Barnett in Kirk's hearing after he cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test was named Chandra. That could be a reference to Captain Chandra from TOS' Court Martial.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:44 PM   #752
shipfisher
Commander

The first viewing will have some of a "getting adjusted" factor for a lot of us old guard fans. Go back, relax and take it in again.

I enjoyed it the first time, but even more the second. Any aesthetic issues I had faded, even if I felt a tad more "at home" in the opening Kelvin sequence.
shipfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:00 AM   #753
Eddie Roth
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
One other thing: was anyone else put off by all the really contrived Kill/remove guy to insert character bits? It was even worse than "Caretaker" in this regard.

I mean come on, yup the most incompetent communications officer in Starfleet gets assigned to the Flagship only to be quickly removed for a cadet.
With McCoy becoming chief medical officer, I thought so. With Uhura, no. There was a clear narrative motivation for her taking over. Also, Pike didn't promote her on the spot, he said "relieve Lieutenat so-and-so" because in this situation she was of more value on the bridge. And she stayed on duty during the crisis because she was needed. When Kirk takes command, he promotes her, that's the way I saw it.
Old May 9 2009, 12:15 AM   #754
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

I have avoided this forum like the plague until I could see the film. I just got back. I have one thing to say right now:

Fucking fantastic!

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:24 AM   #755
Alex1939
Captain

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly.

First impressions (2 hours post viewing movie):

The Good-

The special effects. Easily the best space scenes in Star Trek's history. The battle's looked great. The planet attacks look great. Excellent job with a few minor exceptions. I actually loved after the movie was over, the modern take on the original music, with excellent planet/space/sci-fi scenes. Really cool.

Chris Pine, I really enjoyed watching him as Kirk. I was most skeptical about this performance regarding the movie, but overall I was pleased.

The Bad-

The Snow Alien scenes were lame. They did not look convincing and they looked dated.

The time-travel plot was good, in the sense it allowed Nimoy to pass the torch to JJ. But if you think about it, and the "it's an alternate reality" scenes, bleh. It's better to enjoy this movie on pace, and not think deeply about one of the main plotlines, and the fact it erases everything in Star Trek post-Enterprise, and my dvd's have now vanished from my home.

Nero. He was ok. There should've been more screen time devoted to him. His ear/scar should've been explained in the movie. His ending wasn't epic enough, in my eyes.

Scotty's pet friend, I was very worried it was going to turn into a horrible Jar-Jar situation. At least it didn't get ugly like that. But it was pretty dumb, imo. I was disappointed in his character which surprised me.

The Ugly-

McCoy, I liked Urban ok. But when I think of ToS, I think Kirk, Spock, AND McCoy. In this re-imagining it's Kirk and Spock. McCoy is more on the level of the rest of the main crew. The scene with Nimoy and Quinto, near the end of the movie, didn't really work for me. I kept thinking, if McCoy were also in the scene, Old-Spock and McCoy could have a cool exchange. Did they even have a scene together?

Product placement, the Nokia add was horendous. That shit doesn't belong in Trek.

Overall-

I enjoyed the 2 hours I was watching the movie. Do I think it will stand up as well as some of the classics? No. It might rank 4th or 5th best star trek movie for my personal tastes.

I liked new Kirk, Spock, Sulu, Chekhov, and Uhura. Checkhov I thought was great, but I had very low expectations. As stated before, McCoy and Scotty I was somewhat disappointed with.

But I want to see it again, and already have plans to see it again with a relative... so on that basis, it's a success. I think this movie will help keep Star Trek around, and that's a plus.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:26 AM   #756
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
^Old Spock was staying in the new time line, he told young Spock that he can be in two places at once, because he is going to the new Vulcan colony.
Founding Father of New Vulcan I guess.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:27 AM   #757
Hermiod
Admiral

^Sums it up nicely. An Excellent from me.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:37 AM   #758
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

seeing a lot of old familar faces around here..

galleywest wrote: View Post
thesadpanda wrote: View Post
galleywest wrote: View Post
... now I'm left with a Star Trek universe in which my beloved spin-off either won't happen or will be so different that I may wish it hadn't.
This perspective always mystifies me. I've heard it a lot recently since I'm a Spider-Man fan too and there was just a big continuity change in that universe too.

Star Trek episodes are just stories -- they were always fictional, they never really happened at all. Now, Nero's time travel erased some of the events of TNG in the FICTIONAL universe, but it's not as if the reruns and DVDs are going to disappear into thin air. You can still watch them an enjoy them just like you did before.
FICTION?! WHAT?! Of course we all know this. I don't particularly like this aspect of the fictional storyline which erases another part of the fictional storyline that I enjoyed. How is that mystifying?

I'm not trying to belittle your feelings. I can see you feel bad about this. I just don't understand why it seem so hard to like the new Star Trek universe and keep loving the old one too. Why does it have to be an either-or choice?
Why do I have to like both? Or enjoy both? I never said it had to be either/or. All I've said, and I'll say it again, is that the alternate universe saddens me because in it, my favorite spin-off of Trek will be seriously altered or gone. And AGAIN--yes, I know it's still the same in the original ST universe. But it doesn't change that feeling of disappointment.

And for the record, I did enjoy the movie. And (again, again) I see why they did it this way, agree with what they did in the sense of reviving the franchise as a whole, and look forward to the next installment. But I'm still sad about the above points.

i guess this is one of the great agree to disagree.
to me nothing is wiped out.
both realities will co exist.
they are not dropping all the books for instance based on classic trek for instance.

after thinking some stuff over one quibble is i might would have liked for the monster kirk stuff to either be shorter or go away and have a little more in there like..
more abot kirks recent back ground..
more of the background stuff from countdown.
Old May 9 2009, 12:50 AM   #759
CorporalClegg
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Though money says Vulcan will be resurrected with in this "franchise's" run.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the major driving-force of the next film.
I hope not. That's not to say I wouldn't see it, or pre-judge it, but Star Trek had the balls to do something big and change up the whole thing for once, and I wouldn't like to see a u-turn.
I should clarify. What I really meant is Vulcan's resurrection will be the focus--whether or not they succeed will ultimately be up to the suits.

In fact that'd actually be my wet dream: for this group to do some good old fashioned high concept Star Trek revolved around them trying to restore Vulcan and failing.

And I'd debate anyone who says high concept can't be successful in this day and age. Because, at least compared to today's standards, TDK was fairly high concept--certainly as much as any Trek episode.

I'm not asking for anything along TMP's lines. As much as I'd like it, I know it's just not a possibility, but I do think Orci and Kurtzman have a good intelligent script in them, one that can still maintain the charm and fun of this movie.
Old May 9 2009, 12:54 AM   #760
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

shipfisher wrote: View Post
The first viewing will have some of a "getting adjusted" factor for a lot of us old guard fans. Go back, relax and take it in again.

I enjoyed it the first time, but even more the second. Any aesthetic issues I had faded, even if I felt a tad more "at home" in the opening Kelvin sequence.

Well I'm not saying I won't watch it 8 or 9 more times in my life, I'm just saying I didn't like it so much.
Old May 9 2009, 12:59 AM   #761
john titor
Captain

Any critical reactions?

Before we get started I would appreciate it if we keep this civil and intelligent, ie no tantrums over opinions just because you disagree with them.

I don't think this film is that great. Its good popcorn fun, but its a bit dumbed down. The science bit in Spocks backstory made no sense for a multitude of reasons, (eg red matter wtf?!)

Kirk was basically Dennis the Menace in space, he was really difficult to sympathize with, he was a brawling agressive cheating asshole who essentially takes the p1ss out of Spock at a very sensitive moment, almost all of his species being wiped out. (And yes, I know Spock tells him to do this but I think his ascension to captaincy could have scripted better). And the promotions system...is starfleet on crack?! Kirk, a cadet, randomly gets assigned as first officer, then becomes captain. Wtf!!!! Seriously, the only thing I can say in defense of this is that the film seems to realize the ridiculousness of the situation it puts forward, as shown by Spocks confusion when Kirk is appointed first officer.

The pacing of the film feels like someone yelling at you really fast for 2 hours. Hmmm. Its all crash bang wallop. There's no time for reflection and the end message, that acting on feelings rather than rational decisions is so dumb because at the end of the day I will trust anyone who makes a rationally thought out choice rather than someone who does what they feel is right. In fact I think the message would have been better if they had mixed it up a little bit, to act rationally and with feeling, that would be a message I would agree with, but the one put forward is almost irresponsible because you can justify any action based on feeling.

Good things about the film are the fx, spocks characterization and the fact that overall its entertaining. It was fun, explosive and ambitious in scale, it was also a respectful tribute to the Star Trek legacy and for what its meant to be, a revamping of Star Trek, a kind of Star Trek version of Star Wars (1977), its perfect. The exposition and dialogue can wait for the second film, but I do expect it.

I think this film warrants a second viewing because I want to determine how it holds up beyond the explosions and action sequences.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 01:09 AM   #762
Rii
Rear Admiral

In the parlance of the poll I'd have to go with Above Average, although I'd prefer another grade between that and Excellent. A-

The plot was needlessly convoluted whilst simultaneously prosaic to the point of being bland. Nero was a complete cipher, easily the most disappointing facet of film.

My concerns regarding characterisation and dialogue were entirely unfounded. Everyone is spot on here, with Quinto's performance as Spock and Urban's as McCoy being especially noteworthy. Chekov is still an annoying waste of space, but perhaps one can consider that to be one of the many homages paid to the original series. The deftness with which the humour was handled was both surprising and welcome, as was Spock/Uhura.

The film works on both the broadest and most minute levels, but it doesn't hold together as a coherent whole. Frankly, there's too much fanwank, too much time was spent catering to the existing fanbase at the expense of the film. Elder Spock's expository monologue is the product of the burdens placed upon the film by the studio's desire to placate the fanbase. Ditch the time travel bullshit.

This was definitely Star Trek, and it was one hell of a ride. There's more to the franchise than was presented here, and I hope that future films can operate on a more intellectual level whilst preserving the praiseworthy qualities in this one, but there's no doubt about it: Trek is back.

I'll be seeing it again later today.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 01:46 AM   #763
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I don't really feel like writing a full-fledged review at the moment, but I'll say Above Average, as I thought it fell a little short of excellent.

It was lots of fun. Characterization was spot-on, the acting was solid, the action sequences and special effects were fantastic, the humour and references were appropriate and never too over the top, and there was enough of an emotional core to sustain the drama.

Sure, I have some nits: some things seemed a bit rushed (I might have liked to see some more of Kirk and Spock's younger days, to get a better feel of who they were compared to who they become by the end of the film; another moment or two between Spock and Amanda could have given her death a little more resonance; elder Spock's interaction with his younger self was a tad blase (man, I wish I knew how to put accents on letters here ), likewise his interaction with Kirk was too exposition-heavy (I think it could have been stretched out a bit, with Spock more astonished and delighted, in his reserved Vulcan way, to see his old friend -- basically, making it more of a "big moment", albeit a quiet one). Some of the characters got short-changed (notably Sulu and Chekov), getting very little screen-time and development compared to others (although I fully understand and agree with the reasons for focussing on Kirk and Spock). The climax was suitably exciting, but I would have preferred to see a full-on, hand-to-hand confrontation to the death (or, at the least, to the crippling defeat) between Kirk and Nero.

But I definitely liked it. I haven't been this jazzed about a Star Trek movie since First Contact, and I heartily recommend this film to my fellow Trek fans. It's a rollicking good time at the cinema.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 01:47 AM   #764
Tim
Vice Admiral

Dark Journey wrote: View Post
Considering how deeply we have gotten into some very long, divisive, and often convoluted arguments about alternate timelines, parallel universes, canon, and continuity can't that in itself be proof that Orci, Kurtzman, and Abrams failed to create a really coherent motion picture that succeeded in presenting its story and its internal logic well?
No, it can be taken as proof that Trekkies will debate endlessly over stupid shit, and will in the end always come away thinking everyone else is wrong and they are right.
For me, the near-complete absence of Trek's core values (social commentary and a generally hopeful view of the future) is what disappointed me. It was essentially a Terminator-clone sci-fi action movie, but with characters and ships with which we are familiar.
Old May 9 2009, 01:58 AM   #765
teacock
Admiral

Tim M wrote: View Post

For me, the near-complete absence of Trek's core values (social commentary and a generally hopeful view of the future) is what disappointed me. It was essentially a Terminator-clone sci-fi action movie, but with characters and ships with which we are familiar.
Well I enjoyed that absence. I think for Trek fans the values speak for themselves. The core connection of friendship spanning 139 years or whatever between Kirk and Spock. The brave sacrifice of George Kirk at what should have been a moment of joy and personal fulfillment. Pike's recognition of greatness in the young Kirk and his willingness to take a bet on it, to give this tearaway a chance. I was very glad not to hear any sermonizing, gazelle speeches or commentary about how humanity has evolved past the need for war.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote