New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2009, 11:21 AM   #556
Zeppster
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

The only thing I didn't like about the science of the movie is that the universe was so small. You can basically teleport from anywhere to anywhere, which is okay considering that teleportation may not be possible anyway. Going from Vulcan to Earth takes hours instead of days like was basically said before, things were made strictly just to make a good action film. There was always a bit of a science and limit to things in Star Trek's universe in the past. Yes sometimes that limit was crossed a little, but not as much. This movie was made in more of a Star Wars type fasion
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:24 AM   #557
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
I'm still not seeing a paradox. Picard and crew go back from Timeline A, into the past of Timeline A. They fix what the Borg screwed up, then go back home. (One could argue that the changes made by Picard would result in the E-E returning to a slightly different universe than the one they left, since the Borg had already done some damage and the past was changed...but that only complicates things for the sake of my point.)

Then, Nero goes back from Timeline A and encounters the Kelvin. The moment the Kelvin is destroyed, Timeline A branches off into Timeline B, which is the timeline we see throughout the entire movie. This doesn't change the events that happened in FC at all.
No, actually.

If we disregard all other time-travels up to the point of FC (it's easier this way) then we would be in timeline/universe A.
The moment the Borg and Picard go back in time we are in timeline/universe B. This is the timeline/universe we follow in INS, Nemesis, Voyager (ignoring all of their various, different timelines), DS9 and Enterprise.
Now, this movie starts in timeline/universe B. But the arrival of the Narada and the destruction of the Kelvin by her create timeline/universe C. Which we now follow.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:30 AM   #558
ST-One
Vice Admiral

BTW: Is it just me, or do Sarek's clothes have a (TOS) Romulan pattern on them when we see him for the first time?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:48 AM   #559
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I thought one of the best scenes was between Kirk and Spock on Delta Vega. "I have been and always shall be your friend".

The movie does leave open the possibility that everything we know happens in the prime time line, still happens but in a whole new way. Will the crew once again, find the SS Botany Bay????

-Chris
Old May 8 2009, 11:57 AM   #560
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler
Re: A review from a Kiwi perspective (spoilers aplenty so watch your s

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Some things are frustrating (what Uhura does to Spock on the transporter pad made everyone's jaw drop in the cinema) and some stuff has too much humour (the hands scene - you'll know it when you see it - is funny at the time but leaves a funny taste in your mouth afterwards).
When I read about the hands scene I was ready to cringe, but in execution it was a lot funnier than I thought it would be. Mainly due to...

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
Also, the FUNNIEST thing in the film to me was the continuous "ka-CHUNK" of McCoy's hypo. It was always so gentle and quiet in TOS, so this clumsy one was too damned funny.
...and Kirks reaction.

With Uhura and Spock... that was a surprise (though the Sun spoiled it a little, and a friend decided to text me that spoiler) but the moment in the Turbolift was a wonderful and with that relationship, as well as Vulcan gone, it might set up a more balanced Spock sooner than we've seen before.

The transporter pad scene was worth it just for Spocks closing line.

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
And as with Nemesis, I find it impossible that in the original Trek timeline, the Romulan empire with its famous Tal Shiar security service, would've allowed some renegade nutter to build a huge ship and get access to black hole creating chemicals so he could destroy planets.
I think thats advanced on in the comic, but it has no place in the film. It's not essential knowledge for the plot. But then if you see Romulus destroyed it's easy to assume that the government was destroyed and the colonies would enter a power struggle.

Inside the film and it's plot Spocks promise of saving Romulus - Spock failed, he's gone batshit crazy and wants him to suffer. It all fits.

Llama wrote: View Post
tee hee - I too was at the Melbourne IMAX early. Probably saw each other... Its a small internet/world isn't it
Heh, I actually felt really odd in Glasgow watching people around me wondering which of them posted here

xan82 wrote: View Post
Since when was older spock so emotional? Especially in the last scene when he held up his hand in the Vulcan salute and said "good luck" with a grin on his face.
Why on earth did younger Spock put Jim into a pod and just eject him from the ship to a possible death just for having an opinion?!
Spock being more emotional makes perfect sense. In TMP he realised he needed to accept both halves, by TUC he stated logic was only the beginning of wisdom. All those years later he would only grow more comfortable and accepting of his emotional Human side.

With the latter part of that - it's all in the film. Spocks battling between his need to be a pure Vulcan and his emotions, especially after the death of his planet and his mother. Essentially... he went a bit batshit crazy. Which was also followed up by Kirk later.

In the context of the film it works nicely to have a conflicted young Spock, and a matured and happy older man. To see the begining and end of his emotional struggle.

Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
- Chris Pine is the single best casting choice in the film. Blue eyes or not, he oozed Shatner in so many moments big and small, a tremendous source of joy for me in the film. Perfect lead.
On that - was I the only one that saw the Shatner shit eating grin at the end? Tiny moment and I may be seeing too much there - but I saw a nod to the old stuff.

rramarr wrote: View Post
On an opening night in a busy metro area my theatre was not close to full and there was no waiting around for buying the tickets...
I'll get a better feel for the buzz on Saturday night - I went to a preview on Thursday morning. 10am and there was a good few people waiting outside for the doors to open and the theatre wasn't full, but close, which I didn't expect to see a day before the official release on a Thursday morning.

There was a group next to me who were loving the film (I assume so, I don't speak Chinese but they sounded happy) though there was one older guy who walked out half way through. Everyone else was glued to their seats.

Really looking forward to a second viewing - it took most of yesterday to absorb the film.
Old May 8 2009, 12:14 PM   #561
Eddie Roth
Commodore

Re: Disappointed (Spoilers)

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Whats with all these posts that start out "I'm no canon nazi, but..." then go on to post a wall of text that makes it seem very much like they are?

ETA:
nokiafuturephon wrote: View Post
But the storyline contradicts so much previously established canon that for any real Trekkie it is only watchable a few times.
You know what? If I never hear the word "canon" again, I'll die a happy man. In fact, if it shows up in one more post, I swear I'll put my fist through something.
Reading that exact post you quote, I was thinking the exact same thing, Gep. Thank you for saying it. I wonder if all these people would rather have another ho-hum film like the previous few that sticks to established continuity instead of taking a great, entertaining one that starts things fresh. It almost seems that way. And if that's so, we have the ultimate proof that a certain group of fans can just never be pleased and should therefore be ignored.
Old May 8 2009, 12:18 PM   #562
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Should have put the voters name in the poll. That way we can see how many people voted poor, that said they werent going to see the movie.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:21 PM   #563
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I went to a 7pm showing last night on Long Island, and the theatre was atleast half empty. They had also scheduled a 7:30, 8pm, 10pm, and midnight showing. I know I wouldn't have known about the earlier release unless I was reading the web. I wonder how the midnight showings went?

-Chris
Old May 8 2009, 12:24 PM   #564
Australis
Writer

After reading every single bloody post in this thread (and refraining from commenting on the naysayers and their picky, picky ways), a thought:

From reading the comments, and points raised, as someone else said waaaayyy upthread, which I echoed, the film may have been better at150-160 minutes instead of 122. Would have allowed it to be slowed down a smidgin, and more backstory (Nero, Spock, a few others) to get it to hang together better, imo.

Any thoughts on that?
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:27 PM   #565
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Australis wrote: View Post
After readinhg every single bloody post in this thread (and refraining from commenting on the naysayers and their picky, picky ways), a thought:

As someone else said waaaayyy upthread, which I echoed, the film may have been better at150-160 minutes instead of 122. Would have allowed it to be slowed down a smidgin, and more backstory (Nero, Spock, a few others) to get it to hang together better, imo.

Any thoughts on that?
Yes. To quote my review

I really think the movie would have greatly improved if it was at least 30 minutes longer. If the Spock Prime/Kirk mind melding scene had been cut and some of the plot of Countdown had been incorporated into the movie, along with a few scenes from Nero's Rura Penthe imprisonment.
That would have also improved Nero's presence in the movie. Right now he has too few scenes and even though Bana does a good job he is not allowed to reach or even surpass Khan levels.
Now I know this is not really a movie about the villain, that he is more of a device for our characters to meet, grow and come together but still...It could have been handled better.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:28 PM   #566
Destructor
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Your decision to go to work tomorrow or not could effect your entire future. It's not hard to imagine that 800+ lives being altered wouldn't have an enormous impact on the universe.
That depends on whether you believe in the 'butterfly' theory (that small changes can lead to large changes) or the 'great man' theory (that small changes will be outpaced and eventually inconsequential in the grand scheme of things). This second theory was essentially validated in the DS9 episode where the geniuses predicted the future with greater accuracy the further their predictions went into the future.

So... me going to work tomorrow might actually mean fuck all. I certainly think so.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:29 PM   #567
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Re: Disappointed (Spoilers)

Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Whats with all these posts that start out "I'm no canon nazi, but..." then go on to post a wall of text that makes it seem very much like they are?

ETA:
nokiafuturephon wrote: View Post
But the storyline contradicts so much previously established canon that for any real Trekkie it is only watchable a few times.
You know what? If I never hear the word "canon" again, I'll die a happy man. In fact, if it shows up in one more post, I swear I'll put my fist through something.
Reading that exact post you quote, I was thinking the exact same thing, Gep. Thank you for saying it. I wonder if all these people would rather have another ho-hum film like the previous few that sticks to established continuity instead of taking a great, entertaining one that starts things fresh. It almost seems that way. And if that's so, we have the ultimate proof that a certain group of fans can just never be pleased and should therefore be ignored.

I have to agree. The film has made Star Trek fun again. If they can't see that, well their loss. There were moments in the film it felt so true to the heart of the original series, and the characters, and then certain events took place, and I was like wow, the gloves are off, anything can happen.

-Chris
Old May 8 2009, 12:29 PM   #568
Australis
Writer

Salvor Hardin: Ah, it may very well have been yours I saw.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:31 PM   #569
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Australis wrote: View Post
After reading every single bloody post in this thread (and refraining from commenting on the naysayers and their picky, picky ways), a thought:

From reading the comments, and points raised, as someone else said waaaayyy upthread, which I echoed, the film may have been better at150-160 minutes instead of 122. Would have allowed it to be slowed down a smidgin, and more backstory (Nero, Spock, a few others) to get it to hang together better, imo.

Any thoughts on that?
I was amazed at the blazing speed of the movie. It never let up. It would have been interesting to see the Klingon attack, or even some more context around Spock and Nero.

-Chris
Old May 8 2009, 12:32 PM   #570
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

This movie was awesome!

Welcome back Star Trek!

saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote