Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2009, 04:40 AM   #436
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

OK.. I've sat and thought about it for a bit...

It really is THE BEST TREK MOVIE MADE SO FAR...

The opening was very, Very emotional...

I have to agree with Capt April's (I think) assessment about it's obvious that somehow the time line got changed BEFORE we first see the Kelvin...

I know it's artistic license, but that ship IS way too advanced (on the inside) for the time period We are supposed to believe it's from...
(my guess would be that the Black hole/Wormhole somehow changes things just by it's existence in both timelines... don't ya jest luv Ret-connin')

I love the Window/View screen in both ships... and it's obvious that the new Enterprises' Bridge is much lower in the primary hull...
(they do a long pan directly from the E's bridge out one of those lower bright light spaces and then up over the upside-down primary hull...)

I brought the Prequel comic with me to read before the movie...

There is No Doubt in my mind that It Is Canon... Old Spock (and man he Really Looks OLD) quotes passages from it almost word for word to Kirk, (and in the mind-meld) when describing how events have led Old Spock, to Delta Vega...

I found it especially disconcerting that he could actually see Vulcan imploding from that vantage point...
(though I'm gonna pay more attention next viewing, cause I'm not sure if he is actually seeing it or just visualizing it for Kirk...)

The characters themselves I have to admit, are pretty much spot-on...
Pine does an incredible job... there are a couple of times when if I had had my eyes closed, I would have thought that Shatner was saying the line...

My only problem with Zach's Spock is that he seems Too Cute on several occasions...
Other than that, I liked his portrayal of the character...

The Spock/Uhura relationship is interesting, but if the Spock character stays true to form, then She's got nothing but heart-ache ahead and I can't see it panning out to be any more interesting than the episode with Leila Kalomi.

The space-actions scenes were really good, I just wish they had not been so jumpy. (guess I'm gettin' to old for these new-fangled-fast-as-you-can SP-FX's.)

There is a very large Feel of Star Wars in this movie, again, it's one of the things that I'm not sure I like or not...
(I like all the SW movies, I'm just not sure if I like having that Feel in Star Trek...)

I have to agree that Urban has brought De Kellys', Dr. McCoy back to life.
He is amazing in the role no doubt about it.

I don't think that I can honestly say whether Zoe IS Uhura or not...
There is just not enough for her to do in this movie for me to judge satisfactorily.

Cho does a very good job as Sulu, I like that he's not an Expert at Everything he thinks he is...

The first 5 minutes of Yelchin's accent, were very grating... but after a while he does tone it down quite a bit and I like his portrayal by the end of the movie.

Pegg as Scotty is classic... He too manages with ease, to bring Jimmy Doohans' Scotty back to life...
I even felt sorry for his RockEwok (another one of those SW references that probably could have been a lot less obvious), when he left him behind with old Spock on Delta-Vega.

I Don't like that Vulcan is Destroyed and Amanda is dead... nuff said...

I guess I tried to hard too see a bit of Mark Leonard in Ben Cross cause I don't think he got it...
Same with Winona, though I think She was closer to the original character. (I may change my mind on this with future viewings, only time will tell...)

The New Enterprise... Welll.... I'm a Purist-at-Heart, I guess...

It's really cool, there's no denying that...

... but it's not the Lovely 'ol Gray Lady that I truly Love...

I don't expect a really deep plot when I go to see a Trek Movie, it's just not my thing... so the story for me was interesting and entertaining...

I guess most of my reservations, now that I've seen the movie and have thought about for a while, are that JJ & Company have used Too Much Artistic License for my tastes...

But, like He's said on several occaisions... He didn't make this movie for the likes of me...

...and though I feel as though an Era that I have lived though, has come to an end...

...I can also see that a new one is beginging...

And since I can't do anything about it...

...I can live with that...

PS:
I know I'll have a lot more to add to this after another viewing, but I just wanted to get my initial feelings down so I can compare it all later...

(please forgive my spelling of names and such, I've been up since 5 this morning and I also think my spell-check is screwed up.)
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:43 AM   #437
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Man. I REALLY wish you made this poll public.

Excellent movie. I teared up at points.
Old May 8 2009, 04:44 AM   #438
ConRefit79
Captain

This is not your father's Star Trek.

It's true, this is not your father's Star Trek. The film has humor, drama, action and powerful character moments. It has all the elements that make up Star Trek, but they are just a little different.

The only sad part is, I have to say goodbye to what I've become used to seeing from Star Trek. It's like saying goodbye to an old friend.

The only complaint I have, is some of the action is just too fast paced. They throw so
much at you at once, it's difficult to take it all in.

So, congratualtions, to everyone involved. They've made a great film Star Trek film which will appeal to Trekkers and non Trekkers.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:44 AM   #439
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Captain Captain wrote: View Post
Saw this on another board as a possible explanation for why Spock doesn't just time travel to fix things:
Well, he can't go back into the future at that point to fix things as he's already in the alternate timeline. And if he goes back in time to when Nero first shows up, how exactly is he going to stop him? Nothing in that time era is capable of destroying Nero's ship, and he has no access to the red matter in his own ship as Nero has it in his possession.
Makes sense to me - if the Narada can lay waste to anything from that time period, why would Spock try to go back in time to stop it when he has nothing that would help?
Its the Doc Emmet Brown explanation from Back to the Future 2!!
But it's right here as well.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:45 AM   #440
rramarr
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to rramarr

I may go see it again because I can't wait for the DVD. I enjoyed watching it but I didn't walk out with that glow i.e., after sex buzz like I had with some other Star Trek films, Star Wars films, and other great sci-fi movies. On an opening night in a busy metro area my theatre was not close to full and there was no waiting around for buying the tickets, although there was a showing every 30 to 45 minutes. So I guess since there was no buzz at the theatre it took away from my eager anticipation. Afterwards I went to Burger King and bought the collector glasses.

I didn't like the Uhura and Spock intimacy... it didn't seem real for the characters. The promotions happen way too quick. Blowing up Vulcan - that's a no no. I loved young Kirk, McCoy, and Spock. The others were ok. It's not the best of the series but its in the top 3. Maybe the next one will sink in better.
Old May 8 2009, 04:45 AM   #441
ialfan
Fleet Captain

daveyNY wrote: View Post
But, like He's said on several occaisions... He didn't make this movie for the likes of me...

...and though I feel as though an Era that I have lived though, has come to an end...

...I can also see that a new one is beginging...
I know what you mean. At age 19, I feel like this new Star Trek is just not really for me and my Star Trek is gone forever.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:46 AM   #442
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
- Chris Pine is the single best casting choice in the film. Blue eyes or not, he oozed Shatner in so many moments big and small, a tremendous source of joy for me in the film. Perfect lead.

So true. I can't believe that initially when I first heard about this casting choice that I was worried he wouldn't be able to pull it off and I that I doubted him. He was one of the best things about the film.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:46 AM   #443
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The very first shots of the Kelvin bridge just - they had a very "we're not in Kansas any more" effect on me. Daymn!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:46 AM   #444
mynameisgorn
Ensign

My criticisms:

They didn't have respect for the size of the universe. They made it look small.

I agree with Ebert's criticisms. They were transporting from Saturn to Earth? Or from Delta Vega onto the ship?

And how is it that Spock could see Vulcan from Delta Vega? I also agree that it was convenient how Spock and Scotty both ended up there.

Also, what they were doing for 25 years was hard to fathom. Likewise with the rapid promotions.

And what was the point of firing at the Narada once it was in the grip of the black hole? Why not just turn around and Warp Away right then? How did ejecting the warp core help them escape?

And last, but not least, the first time the Narada encounters a black hole it travels through time. The second time, it falls apart? Huh?
mynameisgorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:48 AM   #445
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Like I said, the only thing I didn't like was the rapid-fire editing. The action sequences were edited too quickly for me to enjoy it. Just like in Batman Begins and Quatum of Suckatude. Stop editing the scenes so bloody quick. It is NOT good filmmaking.

Nero needed more time to be fleshed out. Here's hoping a future extended edition of this film will do that. I did read he had an entire subplot deleted from the film.

I did like Nero's scene with Pike a lot though. Centuri Eels? Pike should have been like...

"It's Ceti Eels, God damn it! JJ Abrams might not respect Trek canon but I do!"
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:50 AM   #446
Kaijima
Captain

My impressions:

First, this was the most fun I've ever had with a Star Trek film. Hands down. The crack someone made about this being the first /real/ movie of "that 60's show" is spot on. This honestly feels like the first real movie of Star Trek to me, because, perhaps, the creators of it were not /too close/ to the property to not miss the forest for the trees. This is the movie made, not for "the casuals" as some hardcore Trekkies like to believe, but rather, for people who enjoyed Star Trek as entertainment - not quite as much for people who fixated on Star Trek as an alternate fictional reality like the hardcore fan tends to.

The key thing about the film for me was this: there was chemistry among the cast and most of the time it crackled with energy. The whole movie is alive with energy and it's infectious. For an ensemble piece like Star Trek, having a cast that is "alive" as a group is the most important thing.

Next, the screen writing was very cunning I felt in that the writers seemed to be clearly aware when they were dealing with stereotypical Star Trek scenarios. Time and again, they'd have the characters edge towards the 4th wall, turning a classic Trek dialog exchange on its head, sometimes for dramatic effect, other times for comedic. Kirk's romp in the Kobyashi Maru scene was priceless, and the scene at the end where Kirk and Spock face down Nero on the viewscreen - every line is knowingly a play on what Star Trek at its most stereotypical and lifeless would trot out. I realize some object to Kirk's eagerness to blow Nero away, but I felt it was perfect in context of all the hell that everyone had just gone through. This was after all, young, unseasoned Kirk, at his most brash and headstrong.

After all that, I really appreciated the visuals of the film. There was at times perhaps a bit much shakey in some moments but it wasn't as bad as the shakey-cam allergic made it out to be. What I appreciated was a strong sense of trying to make things real, with a sense of being there, crazy lens flair and all. I also appreciated how punchy everything was, from the practically gunshot warp drive initiation effects to the intense sizzle and crackle from energy weapons fire in close quarters.

The one thing that did let me down a bit was the downside of who wrote the movie and how they wrote it (everything has a downside, no matter how good). The Trek Science bits involved with explaining the backstory, as given by Old Spock, were pretty terrible, with offhand mentions of a single super nova that "threatened the galaxy" and no explanation whatsoever that Spock would have known how to use a black hole to achieve time travel - making it seem as if the /regular result/ of just randomly diving through a black hole is time travel. The thing is, certain details like this are recognizable enough to even laymen and casual viewers to seem hokey and silly. While it's granted that Star Trek has things like warp drive and transporters, those things are science fiction Black Boxes: additional rules to the laws of physics that some unknown technology is capable of manipulating. People will accept that and it won't grate.

Despite the terrible science (fiction) writing at a few key points, overall I felt what we got was damned fine and the best general space adventure film, well, since I'm not sure what. It's been a while.
Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:53 AM   #447
Destructor
Commodore

Re: This is not your father's Star Trek.

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
The only sad part is, I have to say goodbye to what I've become used to seeing from Star Trek. It's like saying goodbye to an old friend.
I know how you feel, but do remember that the old friend is still there, the episodes you know and love are still there. I tihnk the film, as much as it hurts, needed to move into a new continuity, in order to give it some level of threat. I don't think it means the continuity we know and love has been wiped out, any more than Enterprise's many time travels wiped out our future shows.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:55 AM   #448
RAMA
Vice Admiral

It's true, this is not your father's Star Trek. The film has humor, drama, action and powerful character moments. It has all the elements that make up Star Trek, but they are just a little different.

The only complaint I have, is some of the action is just too fast paced. They throw so
much at you at once, it's difficult to take it all in.

So, congratualtions, to everyone involved. They've made a great film Star Trek film which will appeal to Trekkers and non Trekkers.

A perfect criticism, because it means we can all watch over and over again and still see more. I have a feeling it will be the most watched DVD I own when it comes out.

RAMA
Old May 8 2009, 04:56 AM   #449
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

One thing did annoy me.. the fat Vulcanoid ears. Why? I miss the elegant tapered ears.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:57 AM   #450
Tikkun
Lieutenant

Destructor wrote: View Post
I know how you feel, but do remember that the old friend is still there, the episodes you know and love are still there. I tihnk the film, as much as it hurts, needed to move into a new continuity, in order to give it some level of threat. I don't think it means the continuity we know and love has been wiped out, any more than Enterprise's many time travels wiped out our future shows.

We're either growing or we are dying. Trek needs to grow - and bring in new generations, new fans, new ideas - but all the old ones won't disappear. Even the worst forms of Trek have brought something new to it.

I am going Sunday morning - my daughter is taking me out for mother's day. Hard to wait - but she's worth waiting for. But every positive review brings me joy!!

Wohooooo!!

Tikkun is offline   Reply With Quote