Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2009, 07:39 PM   #271
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
FlyingLemons wrote: View Post
The whole alternate timeline thing is the explanation preferred by modern scientists for time travel (well, to discuss it in full would go wildly off topic) but basically it's thought the universe avoids paradoxes by splitting off timelines. The idea is if you go and say, assassinate your grandfather in the past, it becomes its own separate reality where things can happen differently so no blowback affects the timeline you started from.

Hence Nero's shenanigans during the film make it an alternate reality, and thus the canon of the previous universe is preserved, no destruction occuring.
Exactly. And although I don't think this is going to happen for a very long time if at all, they could still set future movies and TV series in the original Roddenberry/Berman timeline.
Given Trek's long history of time travel and dimension jumping even if you have a show set in the Abramsverse the crew can still have an adventure or two in the original timeline. Who knows saybe the MU will be replaced with the OT (Original Timeline) as the new hot spot for Starfleet crews to blunder into and have zany adventures with (slightly) different versions of themselves. Then after a few episodes we can then bitch about how lame the OT is and they should stop visiting it.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 07:40 PM   #272
Sky
Captain

EJA wrote: View Post
Doesn't The Deadly Years specifically state James Kirk to have been born in Iowa? What are we supposed to do now, mentally dub that line over with "USS Kelvin, sector wherever-the-heck-it's-supposed-to-be"?
Perhaps Narada's attack made Winona Kirk go into early labor and Jim was born before he would've been born in the original timeline.

And how the heck can there be two planets called Delta Vega?!
The same way there can be Paris, France and Paris, Texas?
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 07:43 PM   #273
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Doesn't The Deadly Years specifically state James Kirk to have been born in Iowa? What are we supposed to do now, mentally dub that line over with "USS Kelvin, sector wherever-the-heck-it's-supposed-to-be"?

How many "Springfields" are in the U.S? For that matter, how many "New Yorks" are in the U.K?

Whatever was said in "The Deadly Years" isn't a problem for me, because I just don't care. I can watch the episode and listen to them say that Kirk was born in Iowa (if they do, I don't remember) and then watch this movie and enjoy both and just not give a fuck that they contradict one another.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 07:46 PM   #274
Wesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dennis wrote: View Post

How many "Springfields" are in the U.S? For that matter, how many "New Yorks" are in the U.K?

Whatever was said in "The Deadly Years" isn't a problem for me, because I just don't care. I can watch the episode and listen to them say that Kirk was born in Iowa (if they do, I don't remember) and then watch this movie and enjoy both and just not give a fuck that they contradict one another.
I think I just heard 32 fanboys gasp for air and crash to the floor. How dare you JUST ENJOY Star Trek!
Old May 7 2009, 07:56 PM   #275
Ethros
Vice Admiral

But why use the name Delta Vega? Just use another one. That sort of thing just strikes me as inherent laziness and ineptitude on the writers behalf (not that that sort of error is alone to this movie in the Trek universe at all, but the point stands)

And was it even meant to be in the Vulcan system? How the hell did Spock see it in the sky looking bigger than our own moon does if not?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 07:57 PM   #276
Sky
Captain

Ethros wrote: View Post
But why use the name Delta Vega? Just use another one. That sort of thing just strikes me as inherent laziness and ineptitude on the writers behalf (not that that sort of error is alone to this movie in the Trek universe at all, but the point stands)

And was it even meant to be in the Vulcan system? How the hell did Spock see it in the sky looking bigger than our own moon does if not?
Have to agree. Now, why didn't they maroon him on T'Kuht...
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 08:01 PM   #277
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

(not that that sort of error is alone to this movie in the Trek universe at all, but the point stands)
This is a very silly weasel clause - because yes, most of the fannish critiques of the film so far come down to the kinds of details that they choose to forgive when they like a Trek episode and condemn when they don't.

And that's fine, as long as everyone understands that this means the "naive aesthetic response" of liking or disliking the film comes first and the reasons are invented after the fact.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 08:05 PM   #278
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/30/inte...alex-kurtzman/

For the Trek fans, this film includes many little references. For example you have Kirk dropped off on the planet Delta Vega, which was seen in second Star Trek pilot. It is a cool reference, but didn’t you also fudge canon by ignoring that Delta Vega was way out next to the galactic barrier.

Orci: True. Yeah we did. We moved the planet to suit our purposes. The familiarity of the name seemed more important as an Easter egg, than a new name with no importance.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 08:06 PM   #279
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Or Rigels in Star Trek?
Old May 7 2009, 08:09 PM   #280
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Orci: True. Yeah we did. We moved the planet to suit our purposes. The familiarity of the name seemed more important as an Easter egg, than a new name with no importance.
That just supports my own personal "not canon" view. Might as well slap in a Kazon at Starfleet Academy, or a planet called Bolarus full of Bajorans. That'd be a wink to the fans I suppose, and it would make as much sense.
Kinda like "Admiral" Archer still being alive at the time. Just an illogical reference, that yes you can say "oh well there's just more than one Delta Vega, Archer's just the oldest man ever, there's more than one planet called Bolarus, Kazon just look the same as another Alpha Quadrant species..." but you shoudln't have to. It's just a crummy lazy reference

I do have a lot of wiggles and niggles about the timeline and aspects of the film, etc
But what it came down to for me on a personal level was I just found it boring and not particular enjoyable to watch.

That's my two cents, think I'll leave it at that. Cheers
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 08:09 PM   #281
waynehead
Ensign

I (foolishly) posted a new thread after seeing the movie which was just closed b/c it was clutter.

Sorry again to the mods, I don't post here much but I am a bbs vet and should've known better.

I'll repost what I said here:

"Star Trek Died Today

It was beaten to a bloody pulp, rendered senseless and unimportant, reformed and shaped into a more pleasing shape, and fed to the horde of groundlings who'll gladly eat it up.

I just got back from seeing it.

It was bloody awful. Technically proficient, but conceptually something more like an abortion. A half idea. A "what if?" gone way too far. And a perversion of the brand's original intent. JJ Abrams would've been better off giving the finger to the creative talent, writers/producers, and fans of the series. That would've been much quicker and would've saved a lot of money which was instead invested in a pile of garbage.

Don't let me stop you, I know you have to see it. I know you think I'm crazy, or a geek gone wild, or something like that. Even after seeing it most of you will still hold that opinion of my perspective.

But IMO Star Trek, as we knew it, is dead."
I stand by that.

I know some of you think I'm just being negative or a closet SW fan or something.

But JJ Abrams has sucked everything unique and special about Gene Roddenberry's vision out of this new Star Trek movie. All that we're left with is Die Hard in space. If that's what you want to see, you'll love this movie.
waynehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 08:10 PM   #282
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

I haven't read all the posts (skipped a few pages that resembled the Dominion war...) but... I saw this movie this morning. I had twenty minutes to gather my thoughts before reviewing it on the radio and all I could think was 'wow!'.

The opening scene, as some have mentioned, was brilliant. The sacrifice George Kirk made to save Jimmy T worked well and I loved the rest of the film stemming from it from Kirks chat with Spock about Kirk Primes father, to Nero's whole vengeance angle to Kirk putting all the pieces together.

Everything I was hesitant about was put to rest in my mind. Engineering looked fantastic, far more industrial and believable than before. The bridge looked far better on screen than it did in pictures and I didn't even care that it dropped a few decks. The comedy was spot on, even the whole swollen hands thing amused me where I thought I would cringe.

I was blown away by the movie. It completely lived up to the hype for me.

The story of Kirk and Spock coming together, the chemistry between the two, the whole cast... everything felt spot on. It felt different, but it still felt Trek. And Simon Pegg does Scottish slang better than I do, and I'm a native!

More thoughts can be found here - though I will warn you, I was still in shock and awe when I wrote it.

I've read a few people complain (well not really complain, comment) on Kirks promotion - it didn't seem out of place to me at all. Pike knew Kirk was something special, he proved it, they made a point of saying it was more a Peace Corps than a military structure, Pike himself was out of comission and a few good captains were lost at Vulcan.

Besides - whats the point in a creation story without having Captain Kirk at the end of the journey?

Edit - I should also mention that I smirked a bit at the Nokia tone and even though it never seemed right to have modern music in Trek, Sabotage seemed to work for me.

The other thing I didn't mention on my blog were the end credits. Nostalgiatastic. I got hold of the music the night before and sent it to my dad and even he loved the music and is looking forward to seeing the film on Saturday as a birthday treat.

I'm going back to see the movie on Saturday and looking forward to a second viewing.
Old May 7 2009, 08:12 PM   #283
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

That sort of thing just strikes me as inherent laziness and ineptitude on the writers behalf
See Threshold and a dozen other episodes where the writers just didn't put any effort in. This captured the spirit of Star Trek more than the recent films did. To quote Janeway and Kim in Flashback:

Janeway and Kim wrote:
"It was a very different time, Mister Kim. Captain Sulu, Captain Kirk, Doctor McCoy. They all belonged to a different breed of Starfleet officers. Imagine the era they lived in: the Alpha quadrant still largely unexplored... Humanity on verge of war with Klingons, Romulans hiding behind every nebula. Even the technology we take for granted was still in its early stages: no plasma weapons, no multi-phasic shields... Their ships were half as fast."

"No replicators. No holodecks. You know, ever since I took Starfleet history at the Academy, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in those days."

"Space must have seemed a whole lot bigger back then. It's not surprising they had to bend the rules a little. They were a little slower to invoke the Prime Directive, and a little quicker to pull their phasers. Of course, the whole bunch of them would be booted out of Starfleet today. But I have to admit: I would have loved to ride shotgun at least once with a group of officers like that."
That pretty much encapsulates the difference between Kirk's era and the time from which Spock came back from. I like the fact that the movie invokes the former, really.
Old May 7 2009, 08:12 PM   #284
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

indranee wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Then why did Kirk tell Gillian he was from Iowa?

this really gives you away, April. oh man.

Jesus, what a dumb thing to nitpick.

I was born in D.C. I lived there for the first six months of my life. I've lived mainly in various parts of am East Coast state for all the decades since.

When people ask me where I'm from I say I'm from the state where I've lived my entire life save six months. Why in the fuck would I say "I'm from D.C.?"
Which still eliminates Tarsus IV as a viable answer for the question "Where did Jim Kirk grow up?"

QED.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 08:15 PM   #285
Tom Servo
Commodore

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post

this really gives you away, April. oh man.

Jesus, what a dumb thing to nitpick.

I was born in D.C. I lived there for the first six months of my life. I've lived mainly in various parts of am East Coast state for all the decades since.

When people ask me where I'm from I say I'm from the state where I've lived my entire life save six months. Why in the fuck would I say "I'm from D.C.?"
Which still eliminates Tarsus IV as a viable answer for the question "Where did Jim Kirk grow up?"

QED.
It's not the same timeline. Jim Kirk could have grown up in Zimbabwe for crying out loud. It doesn't matter.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote