Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16 2009, 06:13 AM   #2356
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Anticitizen wrote: View Post
As Nero would know, Vulcans are telepathic and Spock would "see" the distruction of Vulcan even if he wasn't within visual range.
Oh, come now; this is Spock, not Yoda.
So?

Spock in the original series (Immunity Syndrome) felt the deaths of the USS Intrepid crew.
'Feeling' the deaths of fellow Vulcans and seeing the image of the planet imploding in his mind are quite different. He didn't 'see' the Intrepid get eaten by the giant space amoeba.
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 06:18 AM   #2357
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ That's why it has to be metaphorical. Visualized so we could understand.

J.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 09:59 AM   #2358
3D Master
Rear Admiral

pookha wrote: View Post
oric said nero left spock with something that enabled him to see the destruction and what was seen later was a memory of that.
heck in the later trek series we saw were events depending on the level of technology of a given species was projected in mid air.
Of course! That's why Spock stood outside looking UP, straight at Vulcan! Because Nero put a giant LCD screen in high orbit of Delta Vega!

Simply put; Orci realized the ridiculous plothole of the Enterprise still being in Vulcan's orbit as it launched Kirk away, it thus limping along at extremely low, virtually non-existent, impulse speeds, not even full impulse, let alone warp as it should have; and now is trying to cover it up.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 03:23 PM   #2359
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Oh, come now; this is Spock, not Yoda.
So?

Spock in the original series (Immunity Syndrome) felt the deaths of the USS Intrepid crew.
'Feeling' the deaths of fellow Vulcans and seeing the image of the planet imploding in his mind are quite different. He didn't 'see' the Intrepid get eaten by the giant space amoeba.
He wasn't sharing the experience after the fact with Kirk in a mind meld. If he had done so, perhaps what Kirk would have experienced would have seemed like "watching" the Intrepid enter the amoeba. Mind melds have not often been presented with a visual representation of the experience--there is much room for impressionistic visualizations that differ from the literal experience.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 01:36 PM   #2360
Australis
Writer

3D! You're back! Where's the link to your paradigm-shifting review?!

On topic: a link to the ABC (aust) TV show review of TrekXI:
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2547372.htm

They aren't out and out SF fans, but they does likes them a good movie.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 09:36 AM   #2361
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

3D Master wrote: View Post
pookha wrote: View Post
oric said nero left spock with something that enabled him to see the destruction and what was seen later was a memory of that.
heck in the later trek series we saw were events depending on the level of technology of a given species was projected in mid air.
Of course! That's why Spock stood outside looking UP, straight at Vulcan! Because Nero put a giant LCD screen in high orbit of Delta Vega!

Simply put; Orci realized the ridiculous plothole of the Enterprise still being in Vulcan's orbit as it launched Kirk away, it thus limping along at extremely low, virtually non-existent, impulse speeds, not even full impulse, let alone warp as it should have; and now is trying to cover it up.
I sure do hope you wrote J.J. Abrams telling him what a terrible job those two did in making this movie. I'm certain he'll listen.

J.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 12:26 PM   #2362
Australis
Writer

I'm off to read the 3Dmashup review!!

I can't wait!!
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old June 22 2009, 02:24 AM   #2363
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Saw the movie again yesterday. Couple more impressions:

This was funny! It was so nice to just sit there and laugh and happily drift through the Trek universe again. There were only a dozen or so people in the theater, and it was nice to listen to the reactions around me. One guy in front of me was obviously a fan, or at least knew enough of the original series to get the less-obvious jokes. I had almost as much fun listening to the audience as I did watching the film myself.

Did anyone else notice that Scotty has a PET TRIBBLE on the snow planet (Delta Vega Something)? When the scene opened, I thought to myself, "Is that a tribble trill I hear?" And sure enough, there on Scotty's desk is a furry ball in a cage. You have to look close to see it, and I wouldn't have even noiced it if I hadn't picked up the trilling in the background. Absolutely delightful.

I was able to pay more attention to the music this time through. It's really quite glorious - a fitting contribution to the Trek film score collection. I've been trying to figure out what piece "Enterprising Young Men" reminds me of.

I want to try to catch it one more time in the theater before it's out. It's hard to find a 2.5-hour stretch of time to devote to it, but I really want to pull it off. And I can't wait for the DVD release. Anyone know a projected date for that?
Old June 22 2009, 02:26 AM   #2364
indranee
Vice Admiral

^from what I've heard: October 27th.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 08:01 AM   #2365
Fish1941
Lieutenant Commander

I just saw the movie again for the second time. Wow! I had no idea that it was so badly written. Seriously. I managed to spot plot holes that I didn't noticed the first time I saw the film. And since I have a large list of what was wrong with the movie, I guess I'll post it later.

But I can't believe that this film is considered the most highly acclaimed of the summer. I've honestly seen better.
Fish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 09:03 AM   #2366
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
Saw the movie again yesterday. Couple more impressions:

This was funny! It was so nice to just sit there and laugh and happily drift through the Trek universe again. There were only a dozen or so people in the theater, and it was nice to listen to the reactions around me. One guy in front of me was obviously a fan, or at least knew enough of the original series to get the less-obvious jokes. I had almost as much fun listening to the audience as I did watching the film myself.

Did anyone else notice that Scotty has a PET TRIBBLE on the snow planet (Delta Vega Something)? When the scene opened, I thought to myself, "Is that a tribble trill I hear?" And sure enough, there on Scotty's desk is a furry ball in a cage. You have to look close to see it, and I wouldn't have even noiced it if I hadn't picked up the trilling in the background. Absolutely delightful.

I was able to pay more attention to the music this time through. It's really quite glorious - a fitting contribution to the Trek film score collection. I've been trying to figure out what piece "Enterprising Young Men" reminds me of.

I want to try to catch it one more time in the theater before it's out. It's hard to find a 2.5-hour stretch of time to devote to it, but I really want to pull it off. And I can't wait for the DVD release. Anyone know a projected date for that?
I almost went to see it for the 4th time the other day... Ended up seeing Drag Me To Hell for a second time instead. Should have seen Star Trek though, don't think I'll get the chance again before it leaves cinemas.
Old June 22 2009, 09:24 AM   #2367
Australis
Writer

Fish1941 wrote: View Post
I just saw the movie again for the second time. Wow! I had no idea that it was so badly written. Seriously. I managed to spot plot holes that I didn't noticed the first time I saw the film. And since I have a large list of what was wrong with the movie, I guess I'll post it later.

But I can't believe that this film is considered the most highly acclaimed of the summer. I've honestly seen better.
Just read 3DMasher's review, it'll cover your points, and we've probably already seen them all.
Old June 22 2009, 04:22 PM   #2368
Fish1941
Lieutenant Commander

Australis wrote: View Post

Just read 3DMasher's review, it'll cover your points, and we've probably already seen them all.

I've read 3D Masher's review. And it didn't cover all of my points. So, I'll be posting my observations.
Fish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 05:38 PM   #2369
ambessalion
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Earth, North American Continent, Southeast United States
Send a message via AIM to ambessalion Send a message via Yahoo to ambessalion

it was great.....it had issues....but it was good enough that it over came them
ambessalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 05:40 PM   #2370
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I had no idea that it was so badly written.
The ability of fans to identify what they consider "serious plot holes" has nothing to do with how well-written a movie is. This one is pretty good.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote