RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,195
Posts: 5,436,641
Members: 24,950
Currently online: 436
Newest member: TedCarchidi

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 7 2009, 09:18 PM   #2296
number6
Vice Admiral
 
Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
for me, Turnabout Intruder is a totally guilty pleasure

it's horrible, I know, for all kinds of reasons. but I love watching it.
Nothing guilty about it. It was brilliant. Shatner is at his Shatneriest!!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 09:26 PM   #2297
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I do cringe when I watch it though. for a variety of reasons. but it is brilliant. gosh, what I wouldn't give for a TOS fourth season. and, no, I don't mean TAS.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 09:44 PM   #2298
number6
Vice Admiral
 
Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
I do cringe when I watch it though. for a variety of reasons. but it is brilliant. gosh, what I wouldn't give for a TOS fourth season. and, no, I don't mean TAS.
Same here.. Though TAS had some great moments.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 09:46 PM   #2299
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

yep, but I wish it had more than the voiceovers, ya know?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 09:51 PM   #2300
number6
Vice Admiral
 
Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
yep, but I wish it had more than the voiceovers, ya know?

It is Filmation!

Bring on TAS-Remastered!!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 09:54 PM   #2301
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

that'd be fantastic
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 01:15 AM   #2302
VulKhan
Lieutenant
 
VulKhan's Avatar
 
Location: Austria
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I really can't wait for my birthday next Sunday and hope I will get the TOS seasons then. It's so weird, the new movie actually made me realise I don't have them on DVD yet. I probably never cared too much about it cause I've seen it on TV so much, whenever it was on, since the age of 5. But I definitely need them now, it's already been like a few years since I last saw an ep. They don't seem to air anymore these days. Maybe someday they will again. When I was a little kid, they had this special on one of our TV channels, called "The originals" where they would show old, original series, for like, 4 months or so each, every single evening an episode, until they were through all the seasons of the series. That's how I first saw the entire TOS and I loved it!


Minuialeth, don't you have a chance to watch it in english in France? We have special english/international theatres here where you can see every movie in their original versions. I'm sure there's an opportunity like that for you somewhere, too. Maybe check a website with local theatres? Can't believe you shouldn't be able to watch it in OV anywhere!
__________________
Ah Kirk, my old friend. Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold in space. ~ Khan. ~ You're missed, Ricardo Montalban.
VulKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 01:27 AM   #2303
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

and I guess you guys can't access CBS.com? they've also put them on youtube.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 02:25 AM   #2304
Larraby
Lieutenant
 
Larraby's Avatar
 
Chekov the most irritating character

Of all the characters, I think Chekov was the least well written.

He seemed to be a very irritating kid with an accent to match. Also, since when was he ever great with transporter technology?

It's always been about the big three, of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Everyone else should be used sparingly.
Larraby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 02:29 AM   #2305
miniglik
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Chekov the most irritating character

Larraby wrote: View Post
Of all the characters, I think Chekov was the least well written.

He seemed to be a very irritating kid with an accent to match. Also, since when was he ever great with transporter technology?

It's always been about the big three, of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Everyone else should be used sparingly.

I thought he was used sparingly. It certainly wasn't a meaty role. But I enjoyed him and his no good very bad accent.
miniglik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 03:18 AM   #2306
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

he was Spock's protege even in TOS and often filled in for him at the Science station. Chekov was never a dumb kid.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 03:28 AM   #2307
pookha
Admiral
 
pookha's Avatar
 
Location: pookha
View pookha's Twitter Profile
Re: Chekov the most irritating character

miniglik wrote: View Post
Larraby wrote: View Post
Of all the characters, I think Chekov was the least well written.

He seemed to be a very irritating kid with an accent to match. Also, since when was he ever great with transporter technology?

It's always been about the big three, of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Everyone else should be used sparingly.

I thought he was used sparingly. It certainly wasn't a meaty role. But I enjoyed him and his no good very bad accent.
really the early seasons of tos had a much more ensemble feel about them.
__________________
avatar by
?
pookha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 09:03 AM   #2308
Minuialeth
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuialeth's Avatar
 
Location: Normandy, France
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
so are you watching the eps in order?
I certainly hope so, I have the remastered DVDs

VulKhan wrote: View Post
I really can't wait for my birthday next Sunday and hope I will get the TOS seasons then. It's so weird, the new movie actually made me realise I don't have them on DVD yet.
I was exactly like you. I came back from my first viewing of the movie and all I wanted to do was watch some TOS. I had TNG and DS9 whole series but not TOS! I ordered the first DVDs' box as soon as I was back home

VulKhan wrote: View Post
Minuialeth, don't you have a chance to watch it in english in France? We have special english/international theatres here where you can see every movie in their original versions.
Believe me, I've checked and the nearest theaters showing the movie in subtitled OV are in...Paris. 5 hours of train to get there and back, not to mention the trip cost. I really love that movie, but not that much
__________________
Bones: "Do you know why you're not afraid to die, Spock? You're more afraid of living. Each day you stay alive is one more day you might slip and let your human half peek out."
Bread and Circuses
Minuialeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 11:39 AM   #2309
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Intersting poinbt about the ensemble feel. TOS very much started that way but became the Kirk/Spock/McCoy Show. TNG became the Picard/Data Show. DS9 was more ensemble, and I felt VOY was too. Seven bent that out of shape a bit, though they were getting back to it in the last season.

The difference here though is that I can't see Saldana, Cho and Yelchin being built up in a way that it becomes more of an ensemble, not the way they were written or acted, and I can't see it happening. I think it'll remain the Kirk/Spock/McCoy Show.
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 01:43 PM   #2310
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Australis wrote: View Post
Intersting poinbt about the ensemble feel. TOS very much started that way but became the Kirk/Spock/McCoy Show. TNG became the Picard/Data Show. DS9 was more ensemble, and I felt VOY was too. Seven bent that out of shape a bit, though they were getting back to it in the last season.

The difference here though is that I can't see Saldana, Cho and Yelchin being built up in a way that it becomes more of an ensemble, not the way they were written or acted, and I can't see it happening. I think it'll remain the Kirk/Spock/McCoy Show.
That's fine. Ensemble approaches are not inherently better, simply different. I enjoyed The West Wing, an ensemble approach, and Doctor Who, a non-ensemble approach without caring either way about the approach. I'd rather focus on a few key characters and get it right than get bogged down on making sure everyone gets equal time if it is going to be cumbersome.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, parallel star trek, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.