Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4 2009, 06:11 AM   #2266
zenfakor
Lieutenant

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

A great movie, my friend and I saw it twice in IMAX. well worth the wait.
zenfakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 09:39 AM   #2267
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I still think about it. I would love to see it a fourth time before it's out of theaters.

And then the arduously long wait until Blu-ray...

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 10:33 AM   #2268
Australis
Writer

Trent, I don't mind if someone didn't like the film, I really don't. It's just that too often the negaive statements has a supercilious "oooo, you liked that? hmmm, not so bright" tone attached to them, and I get a bit thin skinned over that, though I probably shouldn't, I admit.

That said, as I said, you made salient points in your earlier comments, and like Voltaire, I defend your right to state them!
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 11:51 AM   #2269
Minuialeth
Lieutenant Commander

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
I obviously didn't know going in the extent to which the movie wouldn't feel like Star Trek.
That goes to show how different someone's perception can be. For me, the movie felt like Star Trek, mostly because the feeling of adventure and the characters' interaction.
I saw the flaws you describe in your previous post but they didn't spoil my enjoyement of the movie.
We just have to agree to disagree because yes, this is only a movie after all

Australis wrote: View Post
It's just that too often the negaive statements has a supercilious "oooo, you liked that? hmmm, not so bright" tone attached to them, and I get a bit thin skinned over that, though I probably shouldn't, I admit.
I'm getting thick skinned over that even if it's annoying. For instance:

Psycrow wrote: View Post
Lastly I don't want to insult the ppl who liked the movie and one positive that it is acomplishing is brinning new Fans in with its "lets appeal to everyone" mentality but that wasn't my "Trek" and I cant understand why my fellow Trekers are eating this poop like its candy?!?
Just an advice: if you don't want to insult the people who happen to like the movie, then don't say they like shit
Old June 4 2009, 01:29 PM   #2270
Psycrow
Cadet

Look I can't speak for Trent and others but I DON'T think you are Dumb for liking a DUMB movie. I enjoy a mindless action packed explosion romp as much as the next guy and I don't consider myself less sophisticated for it but I just don't feel Star Trek should have gone there and I really felt they went there to pander to the broader audience (money, money). I for one would rater have no Star Trek than this new processed, reconstituted for mass consumption Star Trek.

Psy
Psycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 01:33 PM   #2271
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I don't care about wider audiences. Hell I'm a Serenity fan. I liked it. A lot. A cursory glance at the poll suggests I'm not alone.
Old June 4 2009, 06:59 PM   #2272
indranee
Vice Admiral

I just don't think it's a "dumb" movie.

I mean, come on, people, "dumb" is Dumb and Dumber. give us a break!

indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 10:58 PM   #2273
FanFanatic
Ensign

I loved the movie! It flows by very quickly, and provides over two hours of some great escapism. I believe the goal of making an enjoyable, profitable movie, as well as "re-launching" a franchise, has succeeded. There are some emotional scenes, to be sure, but they way it is filmed, it ends with a "bright" future ahead, with plenty of adventure and excitement. The sky, (or galaxy) is the limit! In today's enviroment, it was great to see Gene Roddenberry's vision, from over 40 years ago, play out again, of the many races represented, on the bridge, getting along, and cooperating with one another. The movie left me feeling very optimistic, and GOOD! I can't wait for the next one!
FanFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 12:23 AM   #2274
suarezguy
Commodore

I think it's probably a sign of a film's weakness if you can tell too clearly that it's a first film or introduction, at least it can feel like that but should also be a good story on its own. How did Spock or Kirk develop in this one?
Old June 5 2009, 02:45 AM   #2275
Australis
Writer

^ From two guys who didn't know each other, to two guys that really disliked each other, to two guys that trusted waht the other brought to the table? Not bad in the timeframe of the film. We got to see most of the beats to the friendship being built. And through that friendshiop, each of them growing as individuals as well.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old June 5 2009, 08:47 PM   #2276
Caligula
Vice Admiral

I've approached other films with this kind of skepticism before and nonetheless been convinced by viewing the movie itself (such as "Batman Begins"--after the last movie to bear that name, I wasn't expecting much [and it was a prequel!]
If I may, I'd like to offer my own opinion in regards to the subject brought up by this particular statement: I've heard both "Batman Begins" and "Star Trek" referred to as prequels before, but it is my feeling that neither one is what would come to be defined as a "prequel." It's true that both films take us back to the beginnings of our heroes' journeys but, once they do, they tell these origin stories in a COMPLETELY different manner. To me, a prequel implies a preceeding chapter to an already established line of stories (such as Episodes I-III of "Star Wars"). What both "Batman Begins" and "Star Trek" give us is an entirely new line of content. Events that we've previously seen that would take place afterwards chronologically happened in the previous series of films and would, I submit, therefore have no bearing or be in any way dependent on the events of the new one.

This is especially true for the "Batman" franchise, however I admit that it is a bit trickier for the "Star Trek" franchise. "The Dark Knight" (for example) features a new and darker take on the confrontation between Batman and Joker, rather than just rehashing the one from the Tim Burton movie from twenty years ago (good lord, has it really been that long?). "Star Trek," on the other hand, admits within the film's dialogue that the timeline would have progressed just as we remember it had it not been for the intervention of Nero. Therefore, while all that came before the events of the new "Star Trek" movie also happened in the original timeline, anything that happens from here on out will progress much differently from what would otherwise be expected.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 11:02 PM   #2277
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Stricto sensu, you're probably correct--neither 'fits' with the material that came before it, although this so-called Star Trek is a more complex animal. Lato sensu, though, I think showing the origins of previously filmed material (or material that simply hadn't made it to film before, like Batman), can be considered 'thematically' prequels even where they don't lead, linearly, into the material it chronologically predates from an in-universe perspective. The idea of showing these events is, after all, illustrating how characters, settings, etc. become that which already has broadly defined, future existence in the popular consciousness.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old June 5 2009, 11:14 PM   #2278
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

...this so-called Star Trek...
This "so-called?" It is called. People may not like it, but for better or worse, it is Star Trek now. Your critiques are otherwise well argued and well written, but do you have to preface the film with that phrase every single time? It's starting to get annoying.
Old June 6 2009, 07:52 AM   #2279
Borgminister

indranee wrote: View Post
I just don't think it's a "dumb" movie.

I mean, come on, people, "dumb" is Dumb and Dumber. give us a break!

No, no--"classic" is Dumb and Dumber...

"Austria."

"Throw another shrimp on the barby..."
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 03:25 PM   #2280
Australis
Writer

Hmmmmmm <frowns deeply>