A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2 2009, 01:19 AM   #2236
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I read a lot of things on lesbians but it still doesn't make me one...
What a long ass post! For nuthin'!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 03:35 AM   #2237
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

TopperHarley
i also would appreciate a link to the pine interview.
i would like to see it in context because it is very different from what has said elsewhere,
Old June 2 2009, 03:37 AM   #2238
indranee
Vice Admiral

I seriously doubt she/he's going to come back with the link after the drubbing she/he's received here
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 04:37 AM   #2239
L_E_E
Cadet

I voted excellent! I've never had this much fun watching a a star trek movie. Me and my family enjoyed it. Even my brother who is just vaguely aware of star trek.

Last edited by L_E_E; June 2 2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: edit: I can't wait for the DVD! I'm expecting a lot of fun extras.
L_E_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 05:55 AM   #2240
cyberengland
Ensign

Praetor wrote: View Post
That exceedingly long post was rendered completely irrelevant by the fact that the poster has not actually seen the movie.
Agreed.
cyberengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 03:32 PM   #2241
hmbnimbus
Lieutenant Commander

Hi, long-time reader with only a couple of posts to my name but I felt having watched the movie with my brother last week, I should air some of my own opinions now that I've had time to think about what I saw.

I'll start with the cons first:

REALLY, REALLY ANNOYING CONS THAT MADE ME WANT TO THROW STUFF AT THE SCREEN:

- Product placement of Nokia phone..... groan

- Engineering section - Did they just run out of budget?!?!!?!? Seriously, it looked awful, especially with a concrete-looking floor, massive pipework that seemed to be far more aesthetic than purposeful... and just.... it looked wrong, all wrong.

LESS ANNOYING CONS BUT CONS NONETHELESS:

- When Vulcan and Earth were being attacked by Nero.... er..... no planetary defences? At all? Particularly considering what the Xindi Superweapon did? No ships or defence platforms?!

- Little ship-to-ship combat - I thought the opening scene was really good but after that, there was only the brief encounter between Nero's ship and the Enterprise.

- Too much going on in terms of Nero's ship - this isn't a Star Trek-only fault, all modern action movies seemed obsessed with super-fast, overly-detailed scenes where often it's difficult to tell what's going on.

- Scotty's Sidekick - No..... just..... no.... please.... this isn't Star Wars.

- Parachutes?! Unless I missed something, surely jetpacks / anti-grav packs would have become used by then.....no?

- My brother points out one thing - new fans will be confused as to the original story and old fans are potentially alienated to the new story... I think Abrams attempted to please everybody... but as my Grandma says: "try to please everyone, you end up pleasing nobody."

ENCOURAGABLE PROS

- Resetting the timeline isn't a bad idea in my eyes, certainly allows scope to re-tell some stories from another perspective and may just allow Star Trek to live again. Might even bring in a new fanbase. Which isn't a bad thing, is it?

- The ship (bar Engineering) looks superb, especially externally.

- Uniforms, technology and 23rd Century Earth look great - certainly feels Star Trek-like and captured the spirit of this era.

- Winona Ryder is killed off early.... ;-)

- I loved the scenes on Vulcan.... shame about the extermination of Vulcan itself - but as a surprise it completely caught me unaware. Again, the potential for new stories here is good (what will happen with V'Ger in the future etc.)

PROS THAT LEFT A BIG GRIN ON MY FACE:

- Casting - I adored the casting - Chris Pine had me convinced he was a young Kirk and Zachary Quinto played Spock to a tee. Infact, everyone casted in their roles performed brilliantly, though it was the Kirk and Spock who blew me away. Brilliant.

- The scene with the U.S.S. Kelvin was fantastic, I honestly thought that the Kelvin itself could have passed for the Enterprise itself (in terms of the bridge and internal decor)

- The effect for going to warp - sharp, quick and lacking colour - perfect in my eyes

- Enjoyed the end scene with Nero's ship being pulled into the gravitational distortion with the Enterprise trying to break free - also enjoyed the Kirk / Sulu fight above Vulcan and also Kirk fleeing from the monsters on the planet (whose name escapes me). Very much captured the old essence of TOS.

- The interactions between Kirk and Spock were masterful, in terms of character development these two really grew on me. You felt for both of them (in terms of their loss) and it seemed natural that they should be close companions.

EVALUATION

Some things really, really annoyed me and I feel that this film had elements more akin to Star Wars than Star Trek. But we forget that Trek is older than most other sci-fi around today, it was Trek itself that had oversized weird monsters and faux intensity in the 60s - in terms of returning to TOS roots, it certainly achieved that. Equally though, I wish film-makers would understand that not everyone likes 100mph action constantly... we like a story to be told, more than anything.

I thought the story in terms of Nero's involvement could have been better developed and I pray in any sequel that's made we come across a more recognisable ST enemy, with a more detailed storyline. With initial character (re)development out of the way, hopefully this will be the case in the follow-up.

I have high hopes for a sequel that will improve on some very obvious flaws as well as continuing to strengthen what good there is in this film. I voted it "above-average" as there was too much that was NOT "Star Trek " in this film...a few too many alterations that annoyed me. Surprisingly enough, most of the changes I disliked weren't really related to canon, more a case of poor production and set-design.

Finally, I want to see the Enterprise get the ship-to-ship battle it deserves, we always seem to be denied this in the films and the series... they have the ability to do it fx-wise, so please, please do it in the next one. I'm not asking for 2hrs of space combat, just some more clear cut fighting scenes involving 23rd century ships that fans old and new can recognise - not odd futuristic ships that no-one can relate to.

Anyway, thanks for reading (if you have done, that is).

I understand I've jumped about from point-to-point and probably displayed a complete lack of coherency...just like the film itself.... but one thing I've always been is an eternal optimist. It's why I will always love the idea of Star Trek and why I always see room for improvement as I am optimistic that with refinement, this great franchise can be born again to fans both new and old and enjoyed as such.

Bazza
hmbnimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 03:40 PM   #2242
indranee
Vice Admiral

the movie was incoherent to you?
Old June 2 2009, 03:52 PM   #2243
hmbnimbus
Lieutenant Commander

indranee wrote: View Post
the movie was incoherent to you?
I was joking, ya know?
Old June 2 2009, 03:57 PM   #2244
indranee
Vice Admiral

oh okay. too early in the day for me I suppose! I'm a bit incoherent in the morning myself
Old June 2 2009, 04:04 PM   #2245
hmbnimbus
Lieutenant Commander

indranee wrote: View Post
oh okay. too early in the day for me I suppose! I'm a bit incoherent in the morning myself
It's ok, going back and reading my own review, you'd think I was the one who'd just woken up...

Emotional involvement, it appears, affects my ability to illustrate my opinions properly.
Old June 2 2009, 04:05 PM   #2246
indranee
Vice Admiral

no, it was fine. thanks for the review. glad you enjoyed the movie!
Old June 2 2009, 06:06 PM   #2247
Minuialeth
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for your review, hmbnimbus

hmbnimbus wrote: View Post
- Resetting the timeline isn't a bad idea in my eyes, certainly allows scope to re-tell some stories from another perspective
I hope, I really hope that they are not going to do that. As much as I love TOS, I don't want to re-watch old TOS stories or ST movies with different actors portraying the characters and cooler SFX. I don't want to watch "The Wrath of Khan" rebooted, I don't. I want new adventures.
Frankly, as much as I like the new actors, if they rehash an old story for STXII, I won't spend my money to watch it in a theater. I'll wait for a cheap release of the DVD.
Old June 2 2009, 07:28 PM   #2248
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Minuialeth wrote: View Post
Thanks for your review, hmbnimbus

hmbnimbus wrote: View Post
- Resetting the timeline isn't a bad idea in my eyes, certainly allows scope to re-tell some stories from another perspective
I hope, I really hope that they are not going to do that. As much as I love TOS, I don't want to re-watch old TOS stories or ST movies with different actors portraying the characters and cooler SFX. I don't want to watch "The Wrath of Khan" rebooted, I don't. I want new adventures.
Frankly, as much as I like the new actors, if they rehash an old story for STXII, I won't spend my money to watch it in a theater. I'll wait for a cheap release of the DVD.
QFT.

To me, the reason for rebooting (especially the way they did it, establishing that this is an alternate, not revisionist reboot) is to revisit the characters and setting, not simply rehash TOS plot for plot.

This is why I cringe every time someone suggests Khan (or Kahn ) for the next film.

The ONLY way I will support the reiteration of any TOS story is IF, and only IF, the writers can support the idea that a given TOS story could be dramatically updated so as to be differently relevant, or was in some ways a missed opportunity in the first place.

For example, the mystery of the parallel Earths and the Preservers was something that could be more deeply explored, but I wouldn't necessarily want a direct adaptation of any one episode that dealth with it. There are, I think, a few stories that could be remade with broader scope, but again wouldn't want a direct rehash of the original episode. I would want new and different. "The Doomsday Machine" comes to mind. The basic concept for that episode is one that could be rethought and made into a good movie, without having to adhere to the script of the original episode. (However, I think XI was enough of a disaster movie that the next movie should be something different.)

A simple remake as an update in casting or effects is not enough. We've already had TOS-R, thanks.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 11:28 PM   #2249
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

drasche wrote: View Post
I went back at the theater to see the movie once again and I enjoyed it as much as the first time, even though the first time, people were yelling and applauding as each well known character would appear on screen (also when Spock did his Vulcan pinch).

And I'm pretty sure this time, the cut was different. Somehow there was two or three neat cuts in the sound when changing scenes. I can't put my finger on it the those cuts were badly done. I wonder if distributors or theaters can or will do something to a movie they're showing.
It's three weeks (and many showings later). Often film will break and theatres will re-splice it back together themselves - that's another reason people who have a real interest ibn a given film try to see it close to opening night.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 12:49 AM   #2250
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

It is also why DLP (digital projection) is becoming increasingly popular--this kind of damage does not happen (other glitches can occur, but they are far less frequent).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote