USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27 2009, 11:59 PM   #2146
donners22
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Saw it for the third time and probably enjoyed it the least of them. Once I can sit back and actually think about what's going on, rather than just going with the flow, the ridiculous nature of the film becomes quite evident.

At least this time I got to stay through the whole end credits (since there were only three others in the cinema). Had to laugh when I saw the songs were performed by someone supposedly named Cyrano Jones!
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 01:23 AM   #2147
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

donners22 wrote: View Post
Had to laugh when I saw the songs were performed by someone supposedly named Cyrano Jones!
I recall someone else mentioning that here, possibly in one of the soundtrack discussions.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 02:25 AM   #2148
AnnLouise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

indranee wrote: View Post
the K/S friendship was there... just, in its infancy. after all, we're seeing how it all started, right?
Oh of course...but I'm used to seeing the TOS level of friendship, and it's just weird to see it's beginnings in an alternate timeline.

I was also wondering stuff like "what about Capt. April?" and "How are they going to do Amok Time with no Vulcan?", so you can see I was concentrating on the really important stuff.

Today, I was remembering the Spock/McCoy chess scene from "Court-Martial" and how that kind of encapsulated what I love about the relationships from TOS. It's a compliement to JJ and everyone involved that a longtime Trek viewer like me could see enough of that to get me into the film, while still bringing in new viewers.
Old May 28 2009, 04:27 AM   #2149
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
Leaving the birth scenes aside, I still have to smaller complaints or a complaint and a bit of a question, if you will. For one, I thought the ongoing battle was that bit too much of a frenzy or an assault in blinking, colorful and bright lights. For much of the actual battle, I didn't really know what was going on. I know it was probably intended to be a frenzy, with chaos aboard ship and all, but I prefer if I have more of a sense of what's going on.

Then I kind of have to question Captain Robau's decision to basically turn himself in. I don't really see what he hopes to gain. Plus I'm not quite sure when the ship loses its Warp drive. I seem to remember wondering at one point - before they lose it - why they don't just get the hell out of there. Maybe somebody can clear the sequence up a bit for me. I know I came out of it wondering if the loss of the ship and part of its crew couldn't have been avoided.
I asked myself the same thing. Nevermind beaming over, why didn't they just get out of there in the first place? Maybe they need to project strength and aren't trained to cut and run? I don't know.
they lost warp drive (you see robau talking to the chief engineer) transporters and most of their shields in that first attack.

if one listens to robau talking to kirk it is pretty obvious he is going over just to buy them time to evacuate if they have too.

he even tells kirk to put the ship on autopilot (which is knocked out in the attack when robau is killed) and get away.

a lot of how communication works depends on how close a ship is to a subspace booster relay.

even in tos they sometimes had instead communications but other times had to wait for communications to go through.

other things like weird anomalies ect could have played a part.
Old May 28 2009, 06:08 AM   #2150
suarezguy
Commodore

George Kirk reminded me too much of Trip Tucker, so there was some dislike-by-association from the beginning.
Old May 28 2009, 08:29 AM   #2151
Australis
Writer

^ I didn't gett hat vibe at all. We must have seen different movies.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 01:24 PM   #2152
indranee
Vice Admiral

^ yeah, I didn't either. Tucker's not my favorite character in Trek or ENT, so that'd have been bad

I love Pine as Kirk!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 03:37 PM   #2153
Borgminister

Pine was the most difficult to get used to, but he did a splendid job. Just hope they don't make him channel Shatner too much next movie...
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 03:56 PM   #2154
KimMH
Rear Admiral

It would be better for Pine to find his own way as Kirk.
Old May 28 2009, 03:57 PM   #2155
indranee
Vice Admiral

I think he is on his way. he did a fantastic job.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 09:33 PM   #2156
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
Leaving the birth scenes aside, I still have to smaller complaints or a complaint and a bit of a question, if you will. For one, I thought the ongoing battle was that bit too much of a frenzy or an assault in blinking, colorful and bright lights. For much of the actual battle, I didn't really know what was going on. I know it was probably intended to be a frenzy, with chaos aboard ship and all, but I prefer if I have more of a sense of what's going on.

Then I kind of have to question Captain Robau's decision to basically turn himself in. I don't really see what he hopes to gain. Plus I'm not quite sure when the ship loses its Warp drive. I seem to remember wondering at one point - before they lose it - why they don't just get the hell out of there. Maybe somebody can clear the sequence up a bit for me. I know I came out of it wondering if the loss of the ship and part of its crew couldn't have been avoided.
I asked myself the same thing. Nevermind beaming over, why didn't they just get out of there in the first place? Maybe they need to project strength and aren't trained to cut and run? I don't know.
Exactly what part of the "Warp drive knocked out" line in the movie did you miss? It's there, listen to the status updates coming from the crew in the Kelvin bridge scenes.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2009, 12:37 AM   #2157
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

^
We heard the line. The question is one of timing. Speaking only for myself, I've only seen the movie once (and don't plan on going to the cinema again to see it) so I can't quite remember. But the feeling I got from watching once was that they did have the time to get out of there BEFORE the warpdrive was taken out.
Old May 29 2009, 12:41 AM   #2158
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'm going to resee it tonight or tomorrow, but the report of warp being down came pretty quick... I think the only shot they would have had at getting out would have been if they turned tail and ran as soon as they saw Narada coming out.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2009, 12:47 AM   #2159
Hyperspace05
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
I'm going to resee it tonight or tomorrow, but the report of warp being down came pretty quick... I think the only shot they would have had at getting out would have been if they turned tail and ran as soon as they saw Narada coming out.
Yep - and even then it might have been too late. The Narada fired on them virtually instantly after it emerged for the anomaly. That first volley took out the warp drive.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2009, 07:30 AM   #2160
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Just got back from it and Hyperspace05 is correct... warp was reported down immediately after the first shot.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote