RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,571
Posts: 5,514,446
Members: 25,150
Currently online: 533
Newest member: kingkane

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 25 2009, 10:06 PM   #2101
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral
 
archeryguy1701's Avatar
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Ovation wrote: View Post
Perhaps you simply got distracted by the pretty lights.
You're probably right- I was probably just tearing up because my eyes weren't used to the brightness of everything yet.
__________________
"If it weren't for stupid, difficult races, there'd simply be no point to living."

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 10:20 PM   #2102
Jolly Old Saint James
Rear Admiral
 
Jolly Old Saint James's Avatar
 
Location: James Bond
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
^^ I didn't find the Kelvin scene that emotionally moving either. In fact, the lack of some emotional texture is what really hurt this film. Even the weaker films of the franchise incorporated that sort of thing more effectively.
Well, I guess you'd be among the 2.3% of people who didn't like it.
__________________
Milhouse: Lets put it on the Internet!
Bart: No. We have to reach people whose opinions actually matter.
-- The Simpsons
Jolly Old Saint James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 11:19 PM   #2103
dmleo
Commodore
 
Location: The big apple
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

James Bond wrote: View Post
startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
^^ I didn't find the Kelvin scene that emotionally moving either. In fact, the lack of some emotional texture is what really hurt this film. Even the weaker films of the franchise incorporated that sort of thing more effectively.
Well, I guess you'd be among the 2.3% of people who didn't like it.
I'm becoming a sap in my old age because I loved the opening sequence and found it genuinely emotional. I was also very moved by Quinto's protrayal of a grieving Spock.
dmleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 12:22 AM   #2104
Admiral James Kirk
Writer
 
Admiral James Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I had tears streaming down my face at the conclusion of the Kelvin scene.

I also had to restrain myself from openly weeping when Sarek told Spock why he married his mother. Oh, the death of Amanda scene also rocked me. I felt the floor open beneath my feet and swallow me up as Amanda fell. It's a scene that would forever change the character of Spock forever. Far more than even the loss of Vulcan could.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 12:42 AM   #2105
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

James Bond wrote: View Post
startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
^^ I didn't find the Kelvin scene that emotionally moving either. In fact, the lack of some emotional texture is what really hurt this film. Even the weaker films of the franchise incorporated that sort of thing more effectively.
Well, I guess you'd be among the 2.3% of people who didn't like it.
Pointing out that I might be in the minority is a rather weak argument. Afterall, I think American Idol is crap yet millions and millions watch it making it the number one show on tv and then look at the fact that a majority of Americans voted for Bush in '04. If those two examples don't undercut your argument I don't know what will.

And it isn't like I'm a cold bastard. I can turn into a marshmellow at the drop of the hat if whatever I'm watching is genuinely touching or moving. The teaser isn't bad. I know exactly what the writers are trying to achieve but it didn't work. And that is the sense I had with a lot of the film's intended emotional moments. Intellectually, I know what the writers are doing but on that emotional level they didn't reach me.

Last edited by startrekwatcher; May 26 2009 at 12:56 AM.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 12:55 AM   #2106
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Justtoyourleft wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
wow! would you believe that you're the only person I know who finds that opening Kelvin scene bad? seriously, everyone I know loved it. it's one of the best scenes in the movie, IMO.

amazing how subjective art is, truly.
It certainly never ceases to amaze me.

Seriously though, if I may ask, what did you like about it?

For me, it would have been ok had they simply left out the whole thing with the birth going on at the same time as the attack and Kirk's parents talking, choosing a name, picking a kindergarten (just kidding ), etc. That just seemed incredibly contrived and (I can't think of a better word right now) cheesy to me. And, as I mentioned, all of my friends felt exactly the same way.
You're right. Strictly speaking, it is contrived. But it's awesome anyway. It's one of those scenes, like Spock's conversation with Kirk during his death at the end of TWoK, that bears no resemblance to how people would behave in real life, but works because it's a distillation of an emotion presented directly and succinctly on-screeen.

And, speaking as someone dissapointed in Trek XI, it was the best scene in the movie.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 01:16 AM   #2107
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
James Bond wrote: View Post
startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
^^ I didn't find the Kelvin scene that emotionally moving either. In fact, the lack of some emotional texture is what really hurt this film. Even the weaker films of the franchise incorporated that sort of thing more effectively.
Well, I guess you'd be among the 2.3% of people who didn't like it.
Pointing out that I might be in the minority is a rather weak argument. Afterall, I think American Idol is crap yet millions and millions watch it making it the number one show on tv and then look at the fact that a majority of Americans voted for Bush in '04. If those two examples don't undercut your argument I don't know what will.

And it isn't like I'm a cold bastard. I can turn into a marshmellow at the drop of the hat if whatever I'm watching is genuinely touching or moving. The teaser isn't bad. I know exactly what the writers are trying to achieve but it didn't work. And that is the sense I had with a lot of the film's intended emotional moments. Intellectually, I know what the writers are doing but on that emotional level they didn't reach me.
I don't like American Idol--at all. However, I don't go to American Idol fora (which I feel confident must exist) and tell the millions of fans that DO like it that they are are "idiots", "lack critical thinking skills" or are "dumb" (I've not noticed you saying that of appreciators of the new Trek film, but it has been a recurring theme with some of those who did not like it--hence the appeal to popularity on the part of some).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 03:29 AM   #2108
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral
 
Sakrysta's Avatar
 
Location: Sakrysta
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Okay, I have my settings on the maximum number of posts per page, and this thread is still 52 pages long! I can't read all that! So forgive me if I repeat some stuff. Not that I'm going to get into huge detail...

Man, that was fun! I think what I loved most was the divergence from the timeline. As far as I'm concerned, that was a great way to refresh/restart the franchise. MUCH better than Enterprise, more's the pity. But I'm in love with the idea that, given this alternate timeline, we can start a whole new Trek history with new stories and Federation politics and inter-species dynamics. I mean, with Vulcan decimated and Romulus still strong, what will the 24th century be like? So many neat possibilities open up.

I think part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was that I was never especially attached to the original series, particularly Kirk. I found most of the characters charming, but having cut my Trek teeth on TNG and following, I had a hard time relating to most of TOS. This movie made me like these characters. I actually LIKED the character of Kirk, probably for the first time in all his many incarnations. The other characters were all quite compelling as well, and I thought they were very well cast. I went to the movie with a friend who is in her 60s and loved the original series, and she was just tickled pink by the casting. In fact, seeing it tonight with me was her second viewing, just because she enjoyed it so much and knew that I would too.

But really, the best thing about the movie is that it's genuinely entertaining. I haven't enjoyed a Trek movie this much since the first time I saw The Voyage Home. (Well, I confess, I REALLY enjoyed Insurrection too, but on a completely different level. ) The movie is so accessible to the general movie-going audience. You don't have to know anything about the franchise to watch this movie and thoroughly enjoy it. And then, for the fans, there are so many little touches that give it that extra push into the realm of awesome.

I was proud of myself for picking out Winona Ryder as Amanda. I had no idea she was in the movie. My friend didn't believe me when I told her who it was - I had a good gloating moment when the credits rolled.

Okay, now I have to go read at least the last couple pages of this thread to see how looney everyone will tell me I am.
__________________
This is our small proof, not only that things can be done differently in this business, but that the greatest expression of rebellion is joy.
- Joss Whedon, in his Emmy acceptance speech for Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Sakrysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 03:35 AM   #2109
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

so glad you liked it!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 03:48 AM   #2110
AnnLouise
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Wisconsin
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

While some of parts of the movie felt...weird...on the whole it felt like Star Trek, so the weird parts weren't that big a deal; (I mean, seeing Spock and Uhura making out in the turbolift..Kirk promoted to Captain in two weeks...just odd) I understand this was an alternate universe "origin story", I missed not seeing the Kirk/Spock friendship, along with the Kirk-Spock-McCoy troika. But those are minor quibbles. I rated it above average, and am glad to see Star Trek and successful in the same sentence again.

And Bruce Greenwood as Pike - sigh. Although I couldn't help thinking of a certain South Park episode at that final scene.
__________________
(it is) in the denial of moral choices that we commit our worst offences.
Matthew Scully

Last edited by AnnLouise; May 26 2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: forgot to mention BG
AnnLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 03:50 AM   #2111
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

the K/S friendship was there... just, in its infancy. after all, we're seeing how it all started, right?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 05:04 AM   #2112
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral
 
the_wildcard's Avatar
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I just saw this movie this past week. I think they did a great job in tweaking the story line just enough to give them enough freedom to do whatever they want. I didn't like it at first because it was diverging from the original series in certain events/lore, but as a stand-alone movie, it was good.

Great special effects. Man, those space battles were insane.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 06:01 AM   #2113
suarezguy
Commodore
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I found it hard to relate to George and mother Kirk, it seemed like they were trying to hard to make them look noble/honorable/deific, the music was definitely overblown in that scene and in general (aside from the introduction to the Naruda).
__________________
"Let us punish the guilty! Let us reward the innocent."
suarezguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 06:49 AM   #2114
Minuialeth
Lieutenant Commander
 
Minuialeth's Avatar
 
Location: Normandy, France
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
In fact, the lack of some emotional texture is what really hurt this film.
Uh?! I guess it's a matter of what moves you and what doesn't, not about the lack of emotion in the movie. There was, but maybe it wasn't the kind that moves you. It's like when people say "This movie sucked" instead of saying "I didn't like it" or "I thought it sucked"
__________________
Bones: "Do you know why you're not afraid to die, Spock? You're more afraid of living. Each day you stay alive is one more day you might slip and let your human half peek out."
Bread and Circuses
Minuialeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 10:03 AM   #2115
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Ah, think I have an answer.

I'm willing to speculate that the people whjo didn't like the Kelvin sequence ar not parents. Not that you have to be a parent to like it, there are other beats in there too, but the whole parental thing could very well turn some people aside.
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, parallel star trek, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.