Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 25 2009, 06:25 AM   #2071
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
it's like I'm spanking my favorite child
Is that some kind of euphemism??
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:26 AM   #2072
Zeppster
Commodore

no, my point, Sherlock, is that jedarsena keeps saying that Star trek ought to make you think.

I'm still waiting to know what he/she "thought" of Spock's Brain.
I think it's a myth that Star Trek is about making us think. It's about great characters that we get to love. When stories get involved Star Trek writing goes a little down hill
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:26 AM   #2073
indranee
Vice Admiral

it means I Spock's Brain.

but all the love I feel doesn't mean I don't see its drawbacks
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:28 AM   #2074
indranee
Vice Admiral

Zeppster wrote: View Post
no, my point, Sherlock, is that jedarsena keeps saying that Star trek ought to make you think.

I'm still waiting to know what he/she "thought" of Spock's Brain.
I think it's a myth that Star Trek is about making us think. It's about great characters that we get love. When stories get involved Star Trek writing goes a little down hill
yes, my point is that all this talk about making us think? come on. Star Trek?

it's not rocket science, people.

to quote an obese man who breeds horses: it's just a tee vee show!!
Old May 25 2009, 06:31 AM   #2075
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

it means I Spocks' Brain.

I will add that to my list:

Spankin' My favourite child
Punching the clown
Scolding Bozo
Mocking your mother
rocking your own shit
flip the bitch
roughing up the suspect
polling the electorate
purging the manifold
self sealing the stembolt.
Old May 25 2009, 06:33 AM   #2076
indranee
Vice Admiral

stop making me laugh. it's too late in the night.
Old May 25 2009, 06:35 AM   #2077
number6
Vice Admiral

stop making me laugh. it's too late in the night.
That's a good one: Making Indranee Laugh

oh, wait...
Old May 25 2009, 07:02 AM   #2078
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Saw the movie again today and........

- The opening sequence was amazing, and all the TOS stylish sound effects cinched it.

- The Corvette scene is still the weakest part of the film.

- Kirk is a likeable guy. A rebel but damn he gets his ass kicked around a few times, but he doesn't quit even against those odds, how can you not like him?

- Spock seems to be just angry the entire movie, but forgivable since he's just gone thru a ton of trauma.

- Old Spock and Nero travelled back in time by accident. Nero realised he could still save Romulus, but was still pissed at the Federation for not helping them. Still kind of weak, but at least it not the HUUUUUUGE plot hole people made it out to be. Maybe lack of character development. Nero was still scary as shit.

- Karl Urban as McCoy had his part down pat.

- I went in thinking the lens flare would bother me, and after the first minute I totally forgot about it again.

- It bothered me that the Vulcans thought they were experiencing a natural disaster when there's a huuge honking ship shooting a laser beam at your planet.

- Didn't like the warp effect

- However, I love the nuEnterprise now, I rank it only second to the Galaxy Class.

- Pike was awesome.

- The first time around the music just didn't do it for me. I warmed up to it a little the second time around.

- Kirk's rank to captain was a little rushed, but I forgave it because he just saved the planet for the first time, something that he will do several times in his career.

- The Brewery Engineering did not bother me. It wasn't memorable, but wasn't bad either.

- The bridge was a little too bright, and it was all white and pale. Not a big fan of it.

- Scotty was great. Didn't think Simon Pegg was the right choice for the role at first, but I changed my mind.

- Chekov's accent was just silly, they overdid it way too much.

- Chris Pine should have buffed up a bit more for the role. William Shatner was more muscular in TOS.

I still thought the movie was great. Better than all the TNG movies, and better than most of the TOS ones. I think really only TMP, TWOK and TUC are better, but only by a hair.
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 07:22 AM   #2079
Minuialeth
Lieutenant Commander

CrizzleU wrote: View Post
Now Paramount and Abram's can get to new ideas from a good versed original show. And, no Trekkers can bitch about the fact that they are not following the time line as before.
Have you read this thread? And some of the others here come to think of it?
It's like I'm mocking myself because this is exactly what I was thinking before registering here!

I think, as far as I'm concerned, that it can be applied to TOS as a whole. I've just finished rewatching TOS first season after almost 20 years of slowly forgetting about it. Some things made me cringe, but a lot made me smile, laugh, cry, marvel and yes, even think
The more I watch TOS, the more I appreciate STXI, that's all I can say.
I was afraid that the movie with its shiny SFX and nuCrew would undermine my love for TOS but it didn't. I feared that watching TOS would make me realise that too much is different in STXI (esp. the characters) and that I couldn't stand nuST but that didn't happen either.
Old May 25 2009, 07:23 AM   #2080
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: Saw the movie again today and........

Thread merge in 3, 2, 1...
Old May 25 2009, 10:04 AM   #2081
indranee
Vice Admiral

WJT wrote: View Post
Well, this is late late late, but my editor posted my review of Star Trek today. It's 7800 words long, which works out to something like 28 pages of double-spaced Times New Roman, so I'll spare you a complete reposting. (I do think it takes the title for longest review, and it certainly has more footnotes than any other - thirty-six of them!)

Bottom Line: The plot’s rubbish, but the characters shine, so who cares? We’re back, baby!

I gave it 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 4 stars, depending on how you read it. Complete review is here. I'd love to hear what you all think about it, which, I guess, is why I registered.
welcome to the forum, WJT.

I like your review. you write well. however, I disagree with your opinion that this movie has no depth.

could you please define what is "dramatic depth" to you? and please do not give me examples from other Trek films. you have already done so in your review. I want to know from you, in so many words, what signifies "dramatic depth" to you.

thanks.
Old May 25 2009, 10:07 AM   #2082
Jax
Admiral

karatasiospa wrote: View Post
Where is the famous roddenberry's vision?
I love Gene for creating STAR TREK but lets face facts his vision was flawed...ST cancelled after 3 seasons, 1st movie recieved mixed reviews at best and TNG season 1+2 were not exactly stellar. You see TNG getting better and TWOK (where Trek got big again) had smaller involvement from Gene than the stuff that struggled.

Plus this is J.J's Trek now not Gene's.
Old May 25 2009, 10:09 AM   #2083
indranee
Vice Admiral

Trek will always, no matter who's in charge, carry Gene's vision. it's Trek. it'll always be about a hopeful future for humankind.
Old May 25 2009, 01:20 PM   #2084
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

jedarsena wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear your so sensitive Ovation. I never said people who liked this movie are dumb. I think its a fun summer popcorn flick, and Star Trek deserves better. It deserved better than Nemesis to, fans know that. Fans didn't even support that movie at the box office.
So "movie for dumb people" (your words), does not mean what it says? The implication is quite clear. As for "being sensitive", I couldn't care less about a comment aimed just at me (it would be anonymously sourced directed at an anonymous person). What I find objectionable is the notion that those who do not dislike like the film (in other words, the vast majority of people) are "dumb" (your word) or "idiotic" (used by a number of other posters) or "lack critical thinking skills" (someone else's term). Such an attitude suggests that those who are disdainful of the film are somehow "smarter" than those who like it simply by virtue of their disdain. In other words, the dissenters simply "know better" than the rest of the viewers. That is not only wrong on the face of it (one's subjective opinion about pop culture is not a clear indicator of one's intelligence), it's irritating to see over and over again. If your "movie for dumb people" had been one of a very few such comments, I wouldn't have bothered to single it out. However, such comments have reached a level of frequency around here that I find irritating and so I pointed it out.

The next time you want to say
I never said people who liked this movie are dumb
don't call it a "movie for dumb people".
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 01:50 PM   #2085
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile
Re: Saw the movie again today and........

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
-
- It bothered me that the Vulcans thought they were experiencing a natural disaster when there's a huuge honking ship shooting a laser beam at your planet.

by the time they saw what was going on communications was lost due to the interferrence from the drill.

they probably only got one message out just as the it got started.

Sorry to hear your so sensitive Ovation. I never said people who liked this movie are dumb. I think its a fun summer popcorn flick, and Star Trek deserves better. It deserved better than Nemesis to, fans know that. Fans didn't even support that movie at the box office.

that's what we have now, Star Trek for dumb people. .

whatever..

Originally Posted by karatasiospa
Where is the famous roddenberry's vision?
people of diverse backgrounds coming together to over come and
achieve a a common goal.

to do with the optimism and humanity and of finding your purpose through unity, explained Abrams

Last edited by pookha; May 25 2009 at 02:01 PM.
pookha is offline   Reply With Quote