Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Star Trek Timelines Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 707 62.73%
Above Average 213 18.90%
Average 84 7.45%
Below Average 46 4.08%
Poor 77 6.83%
Voters: 1127. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 25 2009, 05:10 AM   #2056
M
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

For fuck's sake, it's Khan! Not Kahn. People who are talking about other people's supposed erasing and crapping on Trek history maybe should try to adhere to their own ridiculous rules.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:14 AM   #2057
Zeppster
Commodore

jedarsena wrote: View Post
It really just comes down to this is a summer popcorn movie. Gone are the days of the thinking Star Trek. JJ said he didn't know what Star Trek had become, because all he knew about was Kirk and Spock. So Paramount tossed a bunch of money in his face and that's what we have now, Star Trek for dumb people. Really whats the difference between this new movie and Star Wars? I know these are some smart guys that made this movie, BUT there is NO reason to erase 40 years of our history. I thought the idea of a prequel was great, nobody would expect them to follow every little nugget of trek lore. That just isn't realistic. I just hope they stop crapping on Trek history. All this talk of redoing Kahn, bad juju.
Star Trek was always more about action and having fun till the newer era. When the last few seasons of DS9 and Voyager got away from that ST went down hill fast. TOS was never about making you think. TOS is a series anyone can watch and have a lot of fun watching. You can say the same for a lot of DS9 and some TNG also. And I guess some early Voyager also. It doesn't make you think any hard. If you want to think hard go to school and be a nuclaer physicist or something.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:15 AM   #2058
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

It really just comes down to this is a summer popcorn movie. Gone are the days of the thinking Star Trek. JJ said he didn't know what Star Trek had become, because all he knew about was Kirk and Spock. So Paramount tossed a bunch of money in his face and that's what we have now, Star Trek for dumb people. Really whats the difference between this new movie and Star Wars? I know these are some smart guys that made this movie, BUT there is NO reason to erase 40 years of our history. I thought the idea of a prequel was great, nobody would expect them to follow every little nugget of trek lore. That just isn't realistic. I just hope they stop crapping on Trek history. All this talk of redoing Kahn, bad juju.
Not this shit again. Signifying that one enjoys this movie is NOT a license for those who don't to question one's intelligence. You are not "smarter" than others simply because you did not like the movie.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:23 AM   #2059
Praetor
Vice Admiral

We really need a strawman smiley...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:36 AM   #2060
jedarsena
Cadet

Sorry to hear your so sensitive Ovation. I never said people who liked this movie are dumb. I think its a fun summer popcorn flick, and Star Trek deserves better. It deserved better than Nemesis to, fans know that. Fans didn't even support that movie at the box office.
jedarsena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:40 AM   #2061
J. Allen
Love Instructor (Part Time)

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

Sorry to hear your so sensitive Ovation. I never said people who liked this movie are dumb. I think its a fun summer popcorn flick, and Star Trek deserves better. It deserved better than Nemesis to, fans know that. Fans didn't even support that movie at the box office.
However, the movie isn't a "dumb flick".

J.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:44 AM   #2062
cyberengland
Ensign

J. Allen wrote: View Post

J.
I agree. I rated this Star Trek movie as "Excellent." And it takes a lot to impress this fan here whom became a fan of all things Star Trek way back in the late 70's before ST:TMP came out. In fact, I cannot hardly wait for this new movie to come out on DVD so that I can buy it, and enjoy the movie again and again and again.
cyberengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:46 AM   #2063
J. Allen
Love Instructor (Part Time)

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile

cyberengland wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post

J.
I agree. I rated this Star Trek movie as "Excellent." And it takes a lot to impress this fan here whom became a fan of all things Star Trek way back in the late 70's before ST:TMP came out. In fact, I cannot hardly wait for this new movie to come out on DVD so that I can buy it, and enjoy the movie again and again and again.
I agree to that as well. I'm not really one who appreciates "dumb" movies. Oh, I can like them and enjoy them while I watch them, but I tend to disregard them or forget about them until I want a cheap laugh or to while away at hours. If this movie would have been dumb, I'd have seen it once and said, "not bad", and walked away. I have seen it three times (four coming this week), and I truly love this movie.

J.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:51 AM   #2064
jedarsena
Cadet

Zeppster wrote: View Post
Star Trek was always more about action and having fun till the newer era. When the last few seasons of DS9 and Voyager got away from that ST went down hill fast. TOS was never about making you think. TOS is a series anyone can watch and have a lot of fun watching. You can say the same for a lot of DS9 and some TNG also. And I guess some early Voyager also. It doesn't make you think any hard. If you want to think hard go to school and be a nuclaer physicist or something.
I disagree with you somewhat. TOS definitely tried to make you think while having action and staying on the air. Balance of Terror is a great example.
jedarsena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:03 AM   #2065
Zeppster
Commodore

I disagree with you somewhat. TOS definitely tried to make you think while having action and staying on the air. Balance of Terror is a great example.
Yes but do you really get smarter from watching BoT? No you were glad we kicked the Romulan's asses.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:07 AM   #2066
indranee
Vice Admiral

I'll take your BoT and raise you a Spock's Brain.

what did you "think" of the latter?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:11 AM   #2067
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

cyberengland wrote: View Post
I rated this Star Trek movie as "Excellent." And it takes a lot to impress this fan here whom became a fan of all things Star Trek way back in the late 70's before ST:TMP came out.
How can anyone honestly look fairly at this film as a whole and say it is a 4-star excellent film? There are plenty of legitimate flaws that have been discussed that prevent it from crossing that threshold in my opinion. But to each their own.
indranee wrote: View Post
I'll take your BoT and raise you a Spock's Brain.

what did you "think" of the latter?
So what? TOS, like any other tv series, has awful episodes that make you wonder how they ever saw the light of day. The point is would you rather strive for the better hours of the show or the weaker ones?

You are basically saying that at least XI wasn't as awful as the worst of TOS.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:20 AM   #2068
indranee
Vice Admiral

no, my point, Sherlock, is that jedarsena keeps saying that Star trek ought to make you think.

I'm still waiting to know what he/she "thought" of Spock's Brain.
Old May 25 2009, 06:22 AM   #2069
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Hey. Quit badmouthing Spock's Brain!!

number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:23 AM   #2070
indranee
Vice Admiral

no worries. it's like I'm spanking my favorite child