Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23 2009, 06:05 PM   #2011
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: STXI...unsure

Jeri wrote: View Post
I think you should have seen it on opening night with the theater full, viewers laughing and applauding.
A lot of the new "fans" probably do need a laugh track to know what's funny. I saw it on release day in a crowded theater and I didn't hear a peep the whole time.
Old May 23 2009, 06:08 PM   #2012
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Well, that's what comes of wearing earplugs in the theater.
Old May 23 2009, 06:10 PM   #2013
DaveG
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. B wrote: View Post
Jeri wrote: View Post
I think you should have seen it on opening night with the theater full, viewers laughing and applauding.
A lot of the new "fans" probably do need a laugh track to know what's funny. I saw it on release day in a crowded theater and I didn't hear a peep the whole time.
Theater quiet here too. I noticed both my wife and I looking at our watches during the movie. We meant to "seek out" a good movie. We received something else. YMMV
Old May 23 2009, 06:11 PM   #2014
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Yeah...a couple of you having experiences like that is apparently the exception, not the rule.
Old May 23 2009, 06:16 PM   #2015
perigee
Lieutenant Commander

skynet1701 wrote: View Post
just watched the film, couldnt wait for it to end.

The comedy wasnt funny, the character relationships were silly (spock & uhura? nah), the whole alternate timeline idea was crap.

i just didnt like it. maybe i should see it again to make sure.

What about small continuity mistakes? arrowhead design on the crew uniforms of the uss kelvin....ufp logo as it is in tng etc....

come on writers/designers....do some research and dont give me the alternate timeline excuse
Don't waste your money - if it's not your bag, it's not your bag, no crime, no foul. Don't bother with it and skip the sequel. The fact that it seems valid for most doesn't mean it Has to be valid for all - I've seen people who like Enterprise and Voyager on here, and I barely wasted an hour or two so far on both of 'em. You have your good things, and I have mine.

No need - and no sense - to feel pressured into liking it.
perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 06:27 PM   #2016
indranee
Vice Admiral

yeah, don't see it if you don't want to. no point putting yourself through a 2-hour misery parade. seriously, who wants that?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 06:29 PM   #2017
DaveG
Lieutenant Commander

perigee wrote: View Post

The comedy wasnt funny, the character relationships were silly (spock & uhura? nah), the whole alternate timeline idea was crap.

What about small continuity mistakes? arrowhead design on the crew uniforms of the uss kelvin....ufp logo as it is in tng etc....

come on writers/designers....do some research and dont give me the alternate timeline excuse
Don't waste your money - if it's not your bag, it's not your bag, no crime, no foul. Don't bother with it and skip the sequel. The fact that it seems valid for most doesn't mean it Has to be valid for all - I've seen people who like Enterprise and Voyager on here, and I barely wasted an hour or two so far on both of 'em. You have your good things, and I have mine.

Good points all, but I think most that visit here really want ST to flourish and prosper. Some, actually most, think XI was a good vechicle, others not. I do think that some of the most wanted XI to succeed so badly, it might have clouded their judgement.
Old May 23 2009, 06:32 PM   #2018
Borgminister

DaveG wrote: View Post
perigee wrote: View Post

Good points all, but I think most that visit here really want ST to flourish and prosper. Some, actually most, think XI was a good vechicle others not. I do think that some of the most wanted XI to succeed so badly, it might have clouded their judgement.
Could be those who were dead set against XI in the first place had their judgment clouded too.

But you believe what you like--my sense is XI is not a masterpiece, but succeeds brilliantly in rebooting (there's that word!) the franchise.

More importantly than being an Oscar-winning movie like all preceding Trek movies were is that it lays the groundwork of adventures to come.

That's a big accomplishment given the recent past.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 06:33 PM   #2019
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I don't think those who enjoyed it did so out of wishful thinking or pity. Were that the case, then Nemesis would be well loved. The movie succeeded on its own merits.
Old May 23 2009, 06:35 PM   #2020
cubbie
Vice Admiral

I do think that some of the most wanted XI to succeed so badly, it might have clouded their judgement.
That sort of went both ways, though. There were some people who desperately wanted this movie to fail because it wasn't what THEIR vision of star trek was about, or it conflicted with THEIR version of canon.

cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 06:59 PM   #2021
perigee
Lieutenant Commander

cubbie wrote: View Post
I do think that some of the most wanted XI to succeed so badly, it might have clouded their judgement.
That sort of went both ways, though. There were some people who desperately wanted this movie to fail because it wasn't what THEIR vision of star trek was about, or it conflicted with THEIR version of canon.
Mehhhh... We're a pretty tough crowd; I don't think the Pros are liking out of desperation. I sat in that seat, back in 79, and even then I don't think any of the Trekkies I knew could muster anything more enthusiastic than "Uh. It was Ok... I guess..." We're not delusional, even if we are protective.

And Antis can dislike it for their own variety of reasons as well; if you want to take away the defense of "Freshman effort," there are some really jagged holes even I'm not fond of. I don't need to rationalize their dislike. Although there probably are many like those cubby described, like I was, initially with TNG.

The difference is, over time TNG proved itself out; DS9, which started pretty crappy, proved itself out. VOY and ENT? Well.. there are those who appreciate 'em, but I'm still not sold.

Any group who is really into something is likely to splinter; which is why Christianity has Presbyterians, Mormons, Catholics, Baptists... All have their own reasons for being where they are. The difference is, the Presbys don't tend to run into St. Patricks and rip up pictures of the Pope. Fans have a tendency to do that.

And hey - it's kinda fun to snowball fight.

Eventually the dust will settle, and we'll be all one big happy starfleet again, acknowledging each other's idiot children even if we don't adore them ourselves. That's how we get to 2034, when my kid takes over as Perijunior.
perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 07:11 PM   #2022
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Could be those who were dead set against XI in the first place had their judgment clouded too.
What about those of us who had no preconceptions going in good or bad, who read no spoilers, who didn't dissect the movie for the better part of two years, who didn't watch one trailer, who didn't read one interview about the film, who avoided reading any early reviews, who didn't care if they rebooted the film or not like myself?

I didn't know what to expect and was just there for the ride.

I don't care about scientific liberties the writers might have taken. I have never minded the use of time travel like so many fans seem to anymore. I didn't care that they updated the designs. I didn't care that the film was devoid of social commentary. I didn't give a sh*t that red matter was a macguffin. I could care less if Delta Vega should be near Vulcan or on the edge of the known galaxy. I could care less if Vulcan's sky is red, blue or green.

What I do care about when it comes to entertainment, even mindless action flicks, is solid writing which was hit or miss.

I've never been one to put Star Trek in a box and say it is this or it is only that. I didn't mind that it was episodic or serialized. I didn't mind when it was high-minded & politically correct on TNG and I didn't believe a war or Section 31 were blasphemous to Gene's vision on DS9. I enjoyed Trek just as much when it was cerebral as when it was mindless action. By the same token, I didn't place TOS on a pedestal and feel outrage that Abrams decided to mix it up a bit.
More importantly than being an Oscar-winning movie like all preceding Trek movies were is that it lays the groundwork of adventures to come.

That's a big accomplishment given the recent past.
I don't understand this notion that certain fans accept clumsy set-up because according to them it is paving the road to something better. That just isn't the case.

When done properly and is well-written, set-up can be elegant but the writer(s) must be in charge and not let the story overwhelm them.

On its own, XI has a lot of issues. How anyone can call it excellent or the best Trek film ever or the best film of all time is beyond me.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 07:32 PM   #2023
Borgminister

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post

On its own, XI has a lot of issues.
Something it shares in common with preceding ST movies.

How anyone can call it excellent or the best Trek film ever or the best film of all time is beyond me.
To each their own--for what it had to accomplish, I'd call it excellent.

Best Trek film ever? Well, that time will tell, but I'd put it in the top echelon.

All time? Come on. Everyone knows that's Nemesis.

Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 07:41 PM   #2024
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

The difference is, the Presbys don't tend to run into St. Patricks and rip up pictures of the Pope. Fans have a tendency to do that.
In America perhaps. In N. Ireland, they take their religion a bit too seriously (and ditto for the Catholics.)

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 07:50 PM   #2025
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
startrekwatcher wrote: View Post

On its own, XI has a lot of issues.
Something it shares in common with preceding ST movies.
And that makes it alright because the other films were mediocre?

I have never felt the film franchise was the strongest for Trek. I think Trek works much better as a weekly tv series. The last film I walked out of the theatre wholly satisfied with was TUC. And TWoK, TVH and FC are the only other ones I consider worthwhile. The rest I could take or leave.

How anyone can call it excellent or the best Trek film ever or the best film of all time is beyond me.
To each their own--for what it had to accomplish, I'd call it excellent.
Well, I consider very few things "excellent". In fact, I feel that term is overused on the internet. Almost every thread you go into that is grading something is litterd with "A+++++" or "excellent". To me it diminishes stuff that really knocks it out of the park. Even films or episodes I enjoy aren't excellent. Most episodes of Trek that I would describe as excellent are very, very few with the bulk being good. There are just too many things in XI that prevents it from being a four star film. I'd only give it 2.5 stars.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote