Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2009, 09:36 PM   #1741
RAnthony
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View RAnthony's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
you can leave now, as well.

look, the problem is not you. the problem is that we're being inundated with angry posters who all want to be heard in separate threads. it's the sheer numbers and, frankly, we're tired of it. this movie has plenty flaws. but it's got a lot of heart and a sturdy pair of legs. it's running, fast and furious.

I want this movie to succeed and it looks like it will, thanks be to the box office gods.

I'm now looking forward to a better movie in 2 years. that's really all that is left to say.
I have no opinion about bubblegum. It exists, and I chew it just like everyone else. This movie exists and I can't do anything about that, either. But I do have a problem with the attitude of fans who should know better accepting this movie as something other than paramount, in it's continually more shallow fashion, attempting to make a buck at our expense.

I refused to accept Enterprise as Trek. Nemesis is also not Trek.
In the same fashion, this film is not Trek.

I'll hazard a prediction here, and state that they will be unable to reassemble the cast for a second film. So I doubt very much that there will be one. But then, that would be the preferable outcome from my perspective.

I'll continue pissing in the pro-factions punch until I get a thread whose title reflects my true opinion. Either that, or I get kicked.

-RAnthony
Old May 14 2009, 09:38 PM   #1742
Borgminister

RAnthony wrote: View Post

I'll continue pissing in the pro-factions punch until I get a thread whose title reflects my true opinion. Either that, or I get kicked.
Cult of personality at work.

And that's Kool Aid, not punch. Get it straight.
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 09:41 PM   #1743
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Borgminister wrote: View Post

Cult of personality at work.

And that's Kool Aid, not punch. Get it straight.
So you're saying it's not lemonade...

J.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 09:42 PM   #1744
Nimthim
Lieutenant

I'll hazard a prediction here, and state that they will be unable to reassemble the cast for a second film. So I doubt very much that there will be one. But then, that would be the preferable outcome from my perspective.

-RAnthony
The cast signed contracts for at least 3 films - a script for the sequel has already been ordered - and all those involved seem anxious to start the next one. So I would suspect your prediction is off the mark.
Nimthim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 09:46 PM   #1745
erastus25
Fleet Captain

Nimthim wrote: View Post

-RAnthony
The cast signed contracts for at least 3 films - a script for the sequel has already been ordered - and all those involved seem anxious to start the next one. So I would suspect your prediction is off the mark.
Don't read too much into it. Studios will often lock up the casts and order another film before the movie is even released (I believe that was the case with this one) so that if it is a success all the necessary pieces of the puzzle are already assembled. Admittedly, with Star Trek quickly headed toward 9 figures after less than a week a sequel does seem very probable. Hopefully they actually bother to write a real villain and a better script this time. Take a page from The Dark Knight - action movies can look cool and have substance!
Old May 14 2009, 09:55 PM   #1746
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

erastus25 wrote: View Post

-RAnthony
Don't read too much into it. Studios will often lock up the casts and order another film before the movie is even released (I believe that was the case with this one) so that if it is a success all the necessary pieces of the puzzle are already assembled. Admittedly, with Star Trek quickly headed toward 9 figures after less than a week a sequel does seem very probable. Hopefully they actually bother to write a real villain and a better script this time. Take a page from The Dark Knight - action movies can look cool and have substance!
I'm counting on it. I loved this movie, but realize it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I'd like to see them come back, and now that our characters are setup and introduced with a good deal of exposition, just lay it all out and tell a rip roaring great story. I do want them to succeed, and I believe they can do it.

J.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:00 PM   #1747
erastus25
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post

I'm counting on it. I loved this movie, but realize it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I'd like to see them come back, and now that our characters are setup and introduced with a good deal of exposition, just lay it all out and tell a rip roaring great story. I do want them to succeed, and I believe they can do it.
J.
That is my hope as well. I'm crossing my fingers that this movie lacked legit substance because they needed to focus almost entirely on assembling the cast and coming up with an excuse to redo the timeline. BUT, I'm not holding my breather, considering that none of the writers have a stellar track record with writing meaningful stories.

Old May 14 2009, 10:01 PM   #1748
Borgminister

J. Allen wrote: View Post

J.
Right... The table is set, and beautifully. Time for the main course... in a mere 2 years...
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:04 PM   #1749
indranee
Vice Admiral

JJ needs to give Damon Lindelof writing duties. and no I'm not just saying that because of Lost and the fact that Lindelof went to my high school!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:07 PM   #1750
erastus25
Fleet Captain

JJ needs to give Damon Lindelof writing duties. and no I'm not just saying that because of Lost and the fact that Lindelof went to my high school!
I vaguely remember a trekmovie article mentioning that he's been added to the writing team for the proposed sequel, actually.
Old May 14 2009, 10:10 PM   #1751
indranee
Vice Admiral

really?! that's excellent.
Old May 14 2009, 10:10 PM   #1752
Scraggs
Cadet

howdy fellow treksters i,m new here so forgive me if my lingo aint cannon...i thought the new film rocked!

Scraggs
Scraggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:11 PM   #1753
indranee
Vice Admiral

good to see you here, Cadet. post in the welcome thread!
Old May 14 2009, 10:14 PM   #1754
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

you can leave now, as well.

look, the problem is not you. the problem is that we're being inundated with angry posters who all want to be heard in separate threads. it's the sheer numbers and, frankly, we're tired of it. this movie has plenty flaws. but it's got a lot of heart and a sturdy pair of legs. it's running, fast and furious.

I want this movie to succeed and it looks like it will, thanks be to the box office gods.

I'm now looking forward to a better movie in 2 years. that's really all that is left to say.
I have no opinion about bubblegum. It exists, and I chew it just like everyone else. This movie exists and I can't do anything about that, either. But I do have a problem with the attitude of fans who should know better accepting this movie as something other than paramount, in it's continually more shallow fashion, attempting to make a buck at our expense.

I refused to accept Enterprise as Trek. Nemesis is also not Trek.
In the same fashion, this film is not Trek.

-RAnthony
Here's what I have a "problem with". Self-styled arbiters of what constitutes "real" (fill-in-the-blank--in this case "Trek"). Make a qualifying statement, why don't you. "I didn't like the film because it does not embody the qualities of Star Trek that are meaningful to me" is a far cry from (and this has been expressed by several people in various ways) "This isn't Star Trek." End of declarative statement. That's goddamn annoying. (never mind the snide asides some have made that suggest anyone who does like the movie is an idiot or "should know better"--how nice for you to be so much smarter than the rest of us )

The only people who get to decide whether it is Star Trek are the owners of the property. That ain't you. Tough shit if you don't like it.

As for your concluding statement--I'd bet on the latter. Announcing you're planning to be obnoxious is a good way to have that happen. The board has a place for those who want to do that--it's called TNZ.

You DON'T get to decide (either directly or indirectly) what constitutes "real Trek" for ANYONE but yourself. Do not presume to know what makes one a "true fan". The arrogance of such an attitude is infuriating.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:15 PM   #1755
Scraggs
Cadet

cheers indranee
you know you look green on your pic is that supposed to be like that? are you one of those foxy green alien chicks? if so i'm mighty pleased to meet you

Scraggs
Scraggs is offline   Reply With Quote