Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 13 2009, 11:39 PM   #1696
indranee
Vice Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

well, this whole "Delta Vega" bit is a mess. so I am not going to get into it.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 11:41 PM   #1697
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

indranee wrote: View Post
well, this whole "Delta Vega" bit is a mess. so I am not going to get into it.
It is a bit of a mess. I guess he just completely underestimated his enemies. When you have a ship that powerful, you would. The few plot points I have trouble with don't bother me though.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 11:55 PM   #1698
kythe
Commander

I know this thread is huge and I probably can't add anything that hasn't been said, but I finally saw this movie today and I'm excited. It was awesome!

I generally have a more purist attitude and can be very nitpicky, and I'm sure that as I process this movie in my mind and see it again it will come down a few notches for me. But I was very impressed with what I saw. I left the theater thinking that this was the best movie I have seen for a long time, and I want to go see it again this weekend.

Since it takes place in an alternative timeline, I can't nitpick canon changes. This does not replace TOS, nothing ever could anyway since that was such a good show. I'm glad they didn't try to change TOS, I think they did well at resurrecting it while making it something new.

The strongest part of the movie for me was the characterizations. They were completely believeable in the context of the story, "modern" and altered for a new timeline, yet their personalities were still true to what we love and remember from TOS. These actors had a difficult job remaking characters that have been known for 40 years, but they all succeeded.

So my first impression was just, WOW! I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I hope they make more movies along this line.
kythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 12:37 AM   #1699
bismarck_1892
Captain

Just a stray thought, but this alternative universe bit is just a way for fans to reconcile, in their heads, the destruction of continuity and much of what they loved about the old series and spin offs. Perhaps people should simply face the facts and not go into this alternative universe stuff.
bismarck_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 12:43 AM   #1700
Tomato
Rear Admiral

Thread is massive. But the best part of the story is NO RESET BUTTON!!!! Praise Abrams. When the movie ended. I was like WTF... where's the reset? OmG!! The killed all the Vulcans.. Holy shit!! can't believe that happened.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 12:50 AM   #1701
JoeD80
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Oh did anyone else recognize the TOS transporter sound when they were using the transporter in the movie?
There were a lot of TOS sound effects in the movie. I thought this a nice touch.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 01:20 AM   #1702
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

This movie is apparently touching off sales for older Star Trek.
I was at Walmart last night and all of their Star Trek TV Series & Compilation DVDs were sold out (except for Alternative Realities, which there was one more on the shelf, and that I bought). Today, I'm out getting a few things and I pick up the Star Trek novel (last one on the rack), and I find two special Star Trek DVDs for sale, one TOS and one TNG, representing the "Best of" with the new Star Trek logo and box art. These are brand new. Here's a pic:

They're $9 at Walmart.

I got the last set there, too. The thing is, our Walmart never has any Star Trek anything, so this was a surprise.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 01:21 AM   #1703
Blue_Trek
Captain

Star Wars - A New Hope Compared to new Star Trek.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892

They do make some interesting points
Old May 14 2009, 03:18 AM   #1704
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Ok Finally Got to see it tonight. Overall it was a good entertaining movie, the Actors and characters all fit. With all the hype this movie's plot is getting it really is no better or worse than the last movie, frankly I was surprised after Nemesis Tanked that they would go the route of another Romulan villian that wants to destroy the Earth. In fact nero's ship reminded my alot of Shinzon's ship, maybe just larger. Bruce Greenwood stoodout as Pike and Pine was fine as Kirk with a slightly more wiseass personality, but he toned down in the movie. Karl urban was Fine as MCcoy and Quinto as a bit more conflicted Spock with a secret love life I guess Pon Far is gone in this version. I Would have like to seen a bit more reflection from these characters.. more caring from Kirk..More Wisdom from Bones..and a bit more of Spock's motivations, still that was not what the picture wanted to be.

Roddenberry's Utopian Future is a bit more Steampunked, I mean Earth seems to be still suffering from alot of today's problems with big refinery's ,smoke, pollution etc. Starfleet's and the Federation was a bit murky here in their motivations, althou pike Mentions they are peacekeepers.. something that harkens back to the 1st season of Trek where the Enterprise was more like intersteller cops. The Enterprise was fine but that engineering room has to go, I never knew the enterprise is water cooled.. and who the hell is scotty's mascot here he's one cool little leprechan bugger.

I guess Spock Prime's fate is now rebuilding his race and not unifying Romulans i can live with that. It was Fun and it will be interesting to see where they go from here.
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 03:44 AM   #1705
Roberto
Lieutenant

I just got home from the theatre, I was hoping that the movie would knock my socks off.....didn't happen.

I really liked:
Kirk
Spock (both)
McCoy
Pike
Uhura
George Kirk

I didn't care for:
Chekov
Sulu
Scotty
Nero
The new look of the Enterprise (inside and out)

The Plot and some of the FX weren't very good, the half-assed matte painting of the Enterprise that Kirk was looking at while sitting on his motorcycle was very poor.

My grade for Star Trek is B
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 11:11 AM   #1706
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Roberto wrote: View Post
the half-assed matte painting of the Enterprise that Kirk was looking at while sitting on his motorcycle was very poor.
You call this poor?

Lord Prancer The 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 12:38 PM   #1707
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Tomato wrote: View Post
But the best part of the story is NO RESET BUTTON!!!! Praise Abrams. When the movie ended. I was like WTF... where's the reset? OmG!! The killed all the Vulcans.. Holy shit!! can't believe that happened.

QFT, I thought that was the best part, as well. That and the characterisation.
Old May 14 2009, 01:02 PM   #1708
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

But the best part of the story is NO RESET BUTTON!!!!
Yeah, that was a good thing and pretty bold of them.
Old May 14 2009, 01:32 PM   #1709
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

J. Allen wrote: View Post
This movie is apparently touching off sales for older Star Trek.
I was at Walmart last night and all of their Star Trek TV Series & Compilation DVDs were sold out (except for Alternative Realities, which there was one more on the shelf, and that I bought). Today, I'm out getting a few things and I pick up the Star Trek novel (last one on the rack), and I find two special Star Trek DVDs for sale, one TOS and one TNG, representing the "Best of" with the new Star Trek logo and box art. These are brand new. Here's a pic:

They're $9 at Walmart.

I got the last set there, too. The thing is, our Walmart never has any Star Trek anything, so this was a surprise.

J.
J-

I found those at my Wal Mart yesterday, too! I only picked up the TOS one.

But, if you read the back, it mentions the new movie, and...
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 02:34 PM   #1710
Roberto
Lieutenant

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Roberto wrote: View Post
the half-assed matte painting of the Enterprise that Kirk was looking at while sitting on his motorcycle was very poor.
You call this poor?

Yeah, that's the shot I was talking about......it just looks like a very large painting (yes, I know that's what it is).
It just doesn't look like it's real (yes, I know it isn't).
When I first noticed this poor quality by watching the trailer on my PC a few months ago I was praying that it would be improved for the theatre but it looks even worse up on the big screen.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote