Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 13 2009, 09:00 PM   #1681
FailedLurker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I don't really have my thoughts together for a review, other than to say AWESOME!!!1!1, but last night I got this review from my mother, after she had seen the movie for the third time.

She's a 43-year Trekkie, watched all the series and movies except for Nemesis, used to make dates bring her home early so she could watch Star Trek at 10pm Friday. She says this one is the best of the Trek movies, the first time a Trek movie has actually felt like TOS to her. By the time they started making TOS movies they weren't really TOS anymore, in fact a major subplot was about how these weren't the young heroes of TOS anymore. She says that this, finally, is the kind of TOS movie she's wanted to see since 1969.

I don't have that kind of longevity (only been a fan since the early 80s) but if you want the opinion of an original 1960s Trekkie, there it is.
My brother once claimed DS9: Homefront was a "psycho-liberal fantasy." I said the real psycho-liberal fantasy was Paradise Lost, when the repressive terror-fueled government resigned in disgrace and the citizens regained their rights.

Last edited by FailedLurker; May 13 2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: stupid carriage returns wouldn't work
FailedLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 09:13 PM   #1682
indranee
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
TheLoneRedshirt wrote: View Post
A few things I found odd - why jettison Kirk to Delta Vega, why not throw him in the brig?
my guess: 1) it showed nuSpock's mental state: he was definitely not as logic-ruled as he would have liked to assert. and 2) he knew Kirk would find a way out of any brig on the ship.

nice review, btw!
Also, when he Kirk first appeared didn't Spock say that as a stowaway they would be within their rights to throw him off the ship?
true, but notice that he only did it once JTK got on his nerves.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 09:14 PM   #1683
indranee
Vice Admiral

FailedLurker wrote: View Post
I don't really have my thoughts together for a review, other than to say AWESOME!!!1!1, but last night I got this review from my mother, after she had seen the movie for the third time. She's a 43-year Trekkie, watched all the series and movies except for Nemesis, used to make dates bring her home early so she could watch Star Trek at 10pm Friday. She says this one is the best of the Trek movies, the first time a Trek movie has actually felt like TOS to her. By the time they started making TOS movies they weren't really TOS anymore, in fact a major subplot was about how these weren't the young heroes of TOS anymore. She says that this, finally, is the kind of TOS movie she's wanted to see since 1969. I don't have that kind of longevity (only been a fan since the early 80s) but if you want the opinion of an original 1960s Trekkie, there it is.
great!! I feel the same way (although, TWOK will always be my very one Number One). say hello to your mom for us and tell her to come on board!

love your handle/name, btw.
Old May 13 2009, 09:16 PM   #1684
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post

my guess: 1) it showed nuSpock's mental state: he was definitely not as logic-ruled as he would have liked to assert. and 2) he knew Kirk would find a way out of any brig on the ship.

nice review, btw!
Also, when he Kirk first appeared didn't Spock say that as a stowaway they would be within their rights to throw him off the ship?
true, but notice that he only did it once JTK got on his nerves.
He wasn't in command before then, and he didn't do it until he had an excuse after the captain's orders allowed him to stay on board.
Old May 13 2009, 09:29 PM   #1685
indranee
Vice Admiral

yes, but even then he waited until Kirk was really pissing him off. "out of the chair" was the first indication where he stood. and then he really began to lose his cool.

I love some of these interesting differences between TOS Spock and nuSpock. TOS Spock always gave me the idea that "the chair" was not what he aspired toward. here, it seems that Spock doesn't mind being in command. or it could just be that Kirk (sitting in it with that attitude) irks him.

very interesting.
Old May 13 2009, 09:36 PM   #1686
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

yes, but even then he waited until Kirk was really pissing him off. "out of the chair" was the first indication where he stood. and then he really began to lose his cool.

I love some of these interesting differences between TOS Spock and nuSpock. TOS Spock always gave me the idea that "the chair" was not what he aspired toward. here, it seems that Spock doesn't mind being in command. or it could just be that Kirk (sitting in it with that attitude) irks him.

very interesting.
I think it was just that Kirk was sat in it, when he wasn't in command, and really shouldn't even be on the ship.
Like I said he waited until he gave him an excuse to disregard the captain's orders.
Old May 13 2009, 09:38 PM   #1687
indranee
Vice Admiral

okay, you get the last word.
Old May 13 2009, 09:40 PM   #1688
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I just saw it today. I thought it was a great film.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 10:11 PM   #1689
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain

What a ride man. I may have to see it a few more times. It felt like a rollercoaster in a good way -- I genuinely wanted to know what happened next and how they were going to get out of this one.

I'd describe the style as somewhat a cross between Bourne Identity and Ocean's 11. But it was all Trekkie goodness.
Old May 13 2009, 10:29 PM   #1690
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Oh did anyone else recognize the TOS transporter sound when they were using the transporter in the movie?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 10:29 PM   #1691
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I've seen it twice now and I can't wait for the third time. SO MUCH FUN! laughed, cried (not really, but i was crying on the inside), cringed, damn near wanted to cheer at times.

I'm trying to remember last time I had this good a feeling about a movie. Probably either The Dark Knight or Slumdog Millionaire.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 11:29 PM   #1692
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Question...why did Nero leave Spock on a world with a Starfleet base on it?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 11:36 PM   #1693
indranee
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
because he is a little bit nuts?
Old May 13 2009, 11:38 PM   #1694
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

because he is a little bit nuts?
Wasn't the whole point that he wanted them (both Spocks) to live and suffer with knowledge they didn't save their own world, or Romulus (in old Spock's case).
Old May 13 2009, 11:39 PM   #1695
trampledamage
Clone

Because he didn't know it was there? It looks like it was only staffed by Scotty and the little alien, it wouldn't have had much Federation traffic.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote