Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 16 2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

"...all 72 torpedoes are still in their tubes."

Ok, the sheer number of torpedoes and all the talk about them is one thing that made it really hard for me to swallow what happens in this film. The only reason they have seventy-two torpedoes is that the original episode stated that Khan had seventy-two crewmen, and if each torpedo carries a crewman, there you go. But for a film like this, it's just too many torpedoes.

- You don't need that many torpedoes to kill one dude on a planet. One would suffice, and maybe bring an extra one.

- The Enterprise suddenly became equipped with torpedo launchers on the side of the ship. These are later called "tubes". It's ridiculous that it would have so many launchers. Are they all on the same side of the ship?

- We find out later the cryo-tubes (more than one use of the word "tubes" because these writers can't write) are inside the torpedoes are in the torpedoes. The script explicitly states that the fuel components were removed so the cases can be retrofitted to store the crew-members. So what the hell would have happened if Sulu didn't hear from Harrison (we never saw whether he did or not) and he decided to "unload the entire payload"? They had no fuel and would have probably not launch at all.

- But my biggest problem is at the end. The Enterprise is critically damaged, and there are gaping holes in the hull and there's red alert with an eminent threat, and somehow Spock manages to find enough experts to take the cryo-tubes out of the torpedoes and re-arm the torpedoes (of course, the ship took heavy damage but none of the torpedoes ever got hit). And all this experts did this in less than five minutes. What's more, they did it while torpedoes were still in those tubes (which we see how small those tubes are).. How can you do delicate engineering work in that space.

Because Khan says the "torpedoes are still in their tubes".

If they only had five torpedoes or so, I probably would go easier on this. 72 is too unwieldy. It's isn't a number, it's fan-service.
Old May 16 2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Dennis
The Man

Re: "...all 72 torpedoes are still in their tubes."

Not seeing a problem with any of this, dude.

Twenty consecutive quarters of profitability for Ford.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 02:06 PM   #3
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

BobOrci wrote:
That's why I get to write scripts, and you don't.
Tihihi.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote:
The script explicitly states that the fuel components were removed so the cases can be retrofitted to store the crew-members. So what the hell would have happened if Sulu didn't hear from Harrison (we never saw whether he did or not) and he decided to "unload the entire payload"? They had no fuel and would have probably not launch at all.
Though it is commonly assumed that the retrofitting completely removed the fuel from the torpedoes, that isn't necessarily the case. The plot depends on Marcus knowing Khan's people were in the torpedoes and still expecting Kirk to fire them. We should not forget that the torpedoes were designed by Khan and they may have been intentionally over-specced.
Old May 16 2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Commodore

If you can't get past this but you can get past the Genesis torpedo and the Reliant, a science vessel, mis counting the number of planets in a solar system, then I don't know what to tell you.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Jedi_Master
Commodore

It's fiction bro. Just sit back and enjoy, and if you can't enjoy, then don't watch.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 02:55 PM   #7
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
If you can't get past this but you can get past the Genesis torpedo and the Reliant, a science vessel, mis counting the number of planets in a solar system, then I don't know what to tell you.
In what way are these issues comparable?
Old May 16 2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Jedi_Master
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
They are plot holes and/or discrepancies.

Common to every movie, book, TV series, etc.
Old May 16 2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
It's fiction bro. Just sit back and enjoy, and if you can't enjoy, then don't watch.
This covers just about everything. Now we can close 80% of the threads on the internet.
Old May 16 2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Opus
Commodore

But, but... If we close down 80% of Star Trek griping, Trek fans will have nothing to congregate about! A complete shutdown of shut-in communications! Parents basements filled with the smell of rotting corpses and Cheetos...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 06:21 PM   #11
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

And plot holes are binary?
Old May 16 2014, 06:29 PM   #12
Jedi_Master
Commodore

Opus wrote: View Post
But, but... If we close down 80% of Star Trek griping, Trek fans will have nothing to congregate about! A complete shutdown of shut-in communications! Parents basements filled with the smell of rotting corpses and Cheetos...
Sounds like a public health emergency. I do want to know how exactly Kirby arrived at his "80%" figure. By my calculations I would estimate 56.5% of all threads would have to be closed, and I have several blueprints and technical layouts from the original designers of the Internet that I can use to prove MY point. So unless Kirby is trying to use the "alternate universe" theory of the Internet, then I don't see how he arrived at that number.
Old May 16 2014, 07:53 PM   #13
The Stig
Rear Admiral

And plot holes are binary?
Of course not. It is interesting, however, to discuss why '72 torpedoes' is more or less bothersome than the Reliant not noticing an entire missing planet.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2014, 08:03 PM   #14
Jedi_Master
Commodore

^That's my basic point. I certainly don't mind discussion of BIG issues, large plot holes, continuity issues, etc. If we didn't talk about those, then we might just as well all move over to the My Little Pony boards.

But this IMO does not qualify, as Starfleet vessels have always carried far too many weapons, those weapons have had varying amounts of destructive power, and anyone who actually keeps track of how long it takes in "real time" for events to happen will always be amazed at how fast or slow "story time" can move.
Old May 16 2014, 08:16 PM   #15
YARN
Fleet Captain

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Ok, the sheer number of torpedoes and all the talk about them is one thing that made it really hard for me to swallow what happens in this film. The only reason they have seventy-two torpedoes is that the original episode stated that Khan had seventy-two crewmen, and if each torpedo carries a crewman, there you go. But for a film like this, it's just too many torpedoes.

- You don't need that many torpedoes to kill one dude on a planet. One would suffice, and maybe bring an extra one.

- The Enterprise suddenly became equipped with torpedo launchers on the side of the ship. These are later called "tubes". It's ridiculous that it would have so many launchers. Are they all on the same side of the ship?

- We find out later the cryo-tubes (more than one use of the word "tubes" because these writers can't write) are inside the torpedoes are in the torpedoes. The script explicitly states that the fuel components were removed so the cases can be retrofitted to store the crew-members. So what the hell would have happened if Sulu didn't hear from Harrison (we never saw whether he did or not) and he decided to "unload the entire payload"? They had no fuel and would have probably not launch at all.

- But my biggest problem is at the end. The Enterprise is critically damaged, and there are gaping holes in the hull and there's red alert with an eminent threat, and somehow Spock manages to find enough experts to take the cryo-tubes out of the torpedoes and re-arm the torpedoes (of course, the ship took heavy damage but none of the torpedoes ever got hit). And all this experts did this in less than five minutes. What's more, they did it while torpedoes were still in those tubes (which we see how small those tubes are).. How can you do delicate engineering work in that space.

Because Khan says the "torpedoes are still in their tubes".

If they only had five torpedoes or so, I probably would go easier on this. 72 is too unwieldy. It's isn't a number, it's fan-service.
The problem is that when you start to think about it (who is fooling whom and for what purpose) the plot doesn't make a lot of sense.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote