RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,354
Posts: 5,502,987
Members: 25,121
Currently online: 506
Newest member: MsMarrielle

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 36 54.55%
Above Average 21 31.82%
Average 8 12.12%
Below Average 1 1.52%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
Old April 30 2009, 07:21 PM   #61
Brent
Admiral
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Location: TARDIS
Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

^ Nice Back to the Future reference
__________________
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 07:58 PM   #62
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Maybe in the original timeline Jack & Co. never returned to the Island, so Dan wen't out to find the Hostiles by himself and got shot. Maybe Eloise hoped that by sending Jack & the rest back that she could change the outcome, but unfortunately she didnt.
If this were the case, why didn't she say to Jack "by the way, could you tell Daniel not to run into the Hostile camp and put a gun on Richard Alpert so he doesn't get executed?"
__________________

Mr Light is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 08:02 PM   #63
Agent Richard07
Retired
 
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Chocolate_Log wrote: View Post
So does this mean Eloise's future knowledge is likely based on her finding Faraday's journal as her younger self, and is that why now she has no knowledge of what happens next?
I guess we now know that Ms. Hawking isn't a psychic or some mystical being.
Agent Richard07 is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 08:10 PM   #64
Mallet
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Vancouver
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Lindley wrote: View Post
Mallet wrote: View Post
I think the big question now is why did Eloise send back Jack & Co. if she knew they wern't supposed to go?
What makes you think they weren't supposed to go?

Daniel said they weren't, but he was simply referring to his plan to change the future then. As far as the closed loop goes, they're absolutely supposed to be there.

That's why Eloise told Ben it would be bad if he couldn't get them all to go back. In that case it would cause a paradox and destroy the entire universe!

(Granted that's a worst-case scenario. The destruction could be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.)
But what if Eloise was lying...?

Or what if she meant back to the island, but not back in time?
__________________
"Everyone's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"
Mallet is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 08:43 PM   #65
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Jenee wrote: View Post
I may never watch the show again.
You're going to stop watching because of one character (a guest star even)?

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^^^ I don't buy that. These are people armed with knowledge about events to come. If they want, they can change things. You can argue that the consequences would be so severe that they wouldn't want to change things. But, that's very different than saying they can't.
To assume they can alter the past is to assume they weren't in the past originally. If they went back in time because they were always back in time, then they can only do what they always do. They have free will, but their free will causes what happens later. If they weren't always there, then the very fact that they're in the past alters the past (so they could alter it further).

I think the reason people are confused is they keep mentioning "the original timeline". If there is only one timeline, there is no timeline to be altered.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 08:45 PM   #66
EyalM
Captain
 
Location: Haifa
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Poor Daniel! His dying thought was that his mother sent him to his death...
__________________
Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog.
Actually, replace ’accidentally’ with ’repeatedly’ and replace ’dog’ with ’son.’
EyalM is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 08:46 PM   #67
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

If there's a real possibility of them changing things, then its not just their own desires that need to be considered. What about Shannon, Boone, Ecko, etc?
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 08:47 PM   #68
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

It seems quite a bit more died if you count all the no-name characters too.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 09:19 PM   #69
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral
 
The Evil Dead's Avatar
 
Location: 1123, 6536, 5321
View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Lindley wrote: View Post
If there's a real possibility of them changing things, then its not just their own desires that need to be considered. What about Shannon, Boone, Ecko, etc?
On the other hand, what about Charlie Hume, Ji-Yeon Kwon or even Rose?

Really cool questions, honestly.
__________________
"I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. I’m a machine and I could know much more."
- Cavil, Battlestar Galactica
The Evil Dead is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 09:30 PM   #70
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Jenee wrote: View Post
I may never watch the show again.
You're going to stop watching because of one character (a guest star even)?

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^^^ I don't buy that. These are people armed with knowledge about events to come. If they want, they can change things. You can argue that the consequences would be so severe that they wouldn't want to change things. But, that's very different than saying they can't.
To assume they can alter the past is to assume they weren't in the past originally.
That's not true at all. They are back in time but they have knowledge of the future. There currently is one timeline but they can force another. That's what we're talking about here, creating a new timeline. Or maybe, they enter a parrallel universe. The original universe stays intact but they effectively create a new one?

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 09:37 PM   #71
Jenee
Dancing Goddess
 
Jenee's Avatar
 
Location: In the park
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Jenee wrote: View Post
I may never watch the show again.
You're going to stop watching because of one character (a guest star even)?
Probably not.

But, I'm still very upset.

I tend to way too wrapped up in tv shows.

It's not even like Daniel was a favorite character of mine or anything.

I just feel so bad for the boy who was never able to be a boy - even if he never existed, he's just a fictional character.

Damn those writers.
__________________
Avatar by KingDaniel

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jenee is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 10:27 PM   #72
chrisspringob
Commodore
 
Location: North Ryde, NSW
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Mr Light wrote: View Post
My take is that Faraday was deluding himself thinking he could change the past after three years of desperation, and that it will be proven you CAN'T change the past.
Yeah, I'm guessing that part of the endgame of the series may be about the losties trying to prevent their own plane from crashing in the first place, but it won't happen. As Locke said early in the season "I needed that pain, to get to where I am now". They'll eventually come to realize that they needed to crash on that island, and it would be a mistake to undo it, even if they could.

Also, on another topic, Faraday has to already have been born by 1977 if he's a professor at Oxford in 1996, no? So did he spend his early years on the island? Was he living off-island, and Hawking went back and forth to the mainland or something?
chrisspringob is offline  
Old April 30 2009, 10:35 PM   #73
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Jenee wrote: View Post
I may never watch the show again.
You're going to stop watching because of one character (a guest star even)?

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^^^ I don't buy that. These are people armed with knowledge about events to come. If they want, they can change things. You can argue that the consequences would be so severe that they wouldn't want to change things. But, that's very different than saying they can't.
To assume they can alter the past is to assume they weren't in the past originally.
That's not true at all. They are back in time but they have knowledge of the future. There currently is one timeline but they can force another. That's what we're talking about here, creating a new timeline. Or maybe, they enter a parrallel universe. The original universe stays intact but they effectively create a new one?

Mr Awe
You're missing my point. How can they force another if they were always there back in time in the first? They always had knowledge of the future and always took actions with that in mind. It's not that they can cause different results to take place. They already used their free will to create the future we know. From our perspective, these events took place in the 70s, even if that isn't the case from their perspective.

The other theory (that they can take actions to change time) is certainly a plausible one and the characters right now are proceeding with that in mind (because it makes the episodes more dramatic and suspenseful). It could be true that Farraday's original theory was wrong. But my guess is that it isn't. The past always happened and they were always part of it.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old May 1 2009, 03:09 AM   #74
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Errr, I can only give this one an Average - didn't realize till now the guy who plays Daniel is a fairly awful actor - but Excellent for the plotline that this ep sets up going into the season finale stretch, and of course for the What The FRAK logo treatment.
Temis the Vorta is offline  
Old May 1 2009, 04:16 AM   #75
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

I thought he was a great actor, what part did you think he was bad in? Well maybe he was a little off during the "memory problem" flashbacks...
__________________

Mr Light is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.