RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 472
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 36 54.55%
Above Average 21 31.82%
Average 8 12.12%
Below Average 1 1.52%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30 2009, 04:06 AM   #31
timmay2411
Captain

Re: Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

What I don't get, is why did Eloise send Daniel back knowing full well that she'd kill him?

Unless it was for the same reason that she was pushing him so hard to study time/time travel..........what was that reason?
Old April 30 2009, 04:13 AM   #32
Mr Light
Admiral

She sent him back to die because he was always sent back in time to be killed at her hand. Whatever happened, happened. I bet that killing her future son is the catalyst that changed Ellie from her militant self married to Widmore and turned her against him, leading to him going for some off-Island nookie, leading to his banishment, leading to Ben becoming the leader, etc, etc, etc...

Old April 30 2009, 05:20 AM   #33
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

Wait so Penny and Daniel are siblings?? Oh shit! Never realized that!
Old April 30 2009, 05:26 AM   #34
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Wow that ending was just FUCKED UP! She sent her own son to his death! As did Widmore!!!! Holy Shiatttt!!!!

I can't wait till next week!
Old April 30 2009, 06:20 AM   #35
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Dude, that was seriously harsh---sending your own kid back knowing your younger self is going to kill him.

So...after the experiment, Daniel was time-jumping like Desmond. Going back to island saved him...and eventually killed him. How sad.

I wish we'd spent more time with Daniel and less with paranoia-Joe and the Dharma boys. Overall, I'd give it an Above-Average.

And after watching the preview, it seems Jack is out to do another bone-headed maneuver in order to "save" everyone.

*face/palm*
Old April 30 2009, 06:51 AM   #36
Mallet
Fleet Captain

I assume something Jack & Kate do over the next episode or two has a big effect on the future/safety of the island, so Dan's parents had to send him back, even though it was to his death, so he could get Kate & Jack out into the jungle and tell them his plan. Thus preserving the timeline.
Old April 30 2009, 07:32 AM   #37
Aragorn
Admiral

RegentWorf wrote: View Post
Wait so Penny and Daniel are siblings?? Oh shit! Never realized that!
At least Desmond and Penny aren't siblings.
Old April 30 2009, 08:15 AM   #38
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Overall I give this episode an "Excellent"

So, everything that happened, happened, BUT, there can be variables and they are the variables since they have traveled in time. Therefore, things CAN change! I find that very fascinating, and changes everything.

I loved learning about what the Incident is. Basically, a release of electromagnetic energy due to their drilling in that spot. Apparently it causes a catastrophe and similar to Chernobyl they have to cement it in and use a computer to release the energy so it doesn't build up. I love that. It is also my theory that The Incident might be the cause for why babies can't be born on the Island now.

So Penny and Daniel are siblings, and Daniel never got to know that, how sad, now he's dead probably (unless he comes back in ghost form which is possible.)

His mother sent him to his death, she knew she would shoot him, again pretty sad. Widmore is his daddy, very cool.

I was hoping Chang would believe Daniel was from the future, and I was hoping Miles would confess he was his son. That could have been a very interesting dynamic to explore there with Chang knowing.

Can't wait until next week!

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old April 30 2009, 10:07 AM   #39
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Excellent episode.

So in less than four hours, part of the Island will go Ka-Boom! I'm also convinced by the notion of "Whatever happened, happened", so the predestination paradox has to unfold.
Can't wait for the end of the season.
It looks like Richard has (or is going to) me(e)t everybody from Flight 815. Is that the reason why the Others have made lists?

EDIT TO ADD: Oh by the way, I need my goddamn John Locke fix!!!1!!1!onze!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old April 30 2009, 12:30 PM   #40
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Any ideas why Eloise from the 70's still looks so young? Older than the Eloise from the 50's. Clearly she ages when she leaves the island, and she ages on the island, but not as much.

Richard never ages, though.
Old April 30 2009, 12:33 PM   #41
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
I loved learning about what the Incident is. Basically, a release of electromagnetic energy due to their drilling in that spot. Apparently it causes a catastrophe and similar to Chernobyl they have to cement it in and use a computer to release the energy so it doesn't build up.
This is the first confirmation, but it's been widely speculated that this was the case since "Live Together, Die Alone."

I love that. It is also my theory that The Incident might be the cause for why babies can't be born on the Island now.
Less obvious but totally plausible. If this is the case, I hope Juliet has some hand in making it happen. Talk about irony.
Old April 30 2009, 12:44 PM   #42
chrisspringob
Commodore

cubbie wrote: View Post
Any ideas why Eloise from the 70's still looks so young? Older than the Eloise from the 50's. Clearly she ages when she leaves the island, and she ages on the island, but not as much.

Richard never ages, though.
Assume she's 18 in 1954. That would make her 41 in 1977. According to IMDb, the actress who played her in this ep is 37, so it's actually not that much of a stretch.
Old April 30 2009, 12:46 PM   #43
chrisspringob
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
The hydrogen bomb is coming back into play. Didn't someone here predict that?
Uh, there was an episode named after it, how could it not..
I seem to remember someone here saying something specific about the bomb recently.
I've argued that the bomb is going to be important for a while, though other people may have done so as well. I started this recent thread about whether the logic of the US military bringing the bomb to the island made any sense:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=88869
Old April 30 2009, 12:50 PM   #44
Chocolate Log
Captain

So does this mean Eloise's future knowledge is likely based on her finding Faraday's journal as her younger self, and is that why now she has no knowledge of what happens next?
Old April 30 2009, 01:13 PM   #45
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
The more I think about it the more mad I am that Faraday is gone. We still had so many questions from him. I wanted a whole flashback episode just about this time travel incident that messed up him and whatshername. I feel a little cheated on the story here like it was with Eko and Libby. Not to mention I was hoping Faraday would be central to the entire time jumping back to the future thing.
This not a spoiler because I don't know anything, but just speculation. Somehow I'm betting we haven't seen the last of Daniel. This is the island afterall and if John Locke can come back from the dead, or if young Ben can be "fixed", well anything is possible.