Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 26 2009, 10:37 PM   #46
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Trek end credits 9 minute music clip

The opening theme is short - about a minute long.

And the fanfare is used in the movie!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 10:40 PM   #47
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

I love you, man!

Alpha_Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 10:52 PM   #48
mistabaka
Ensign

Tulin wrote: View Post
Listening for about the eighth time.

"ADMIRAL..........THERE BE BONGOS HERE!!!!"
If i wasn't currently listening to the Ending Theme this might have made my day... still its in the list of top 2 things that have made my day!
mistabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:15 PM   #49
The Keeper
Commodore

Meh, I ain't all that impressed with the main theme, sounds too overdone to me.

But I'll tell you what, when I got a vibe of the "Wagon Train" theme from one passage I just about fell off my chair.

There's a bunch of things within it that sound familiar but I cannot put my finger on what there are, probably from his other works.

I look forward to hearing the whole work.
Old April 26 2009, 11:16 PM   #50
Aragorn
Admiral

Why didn't they get Celine Dion to sing the lyrics?

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
^I hate you.

At least he didn't RickRoll.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:26 PM   #51
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I'm seeing the whole movie in just a few hours, so this is a great ramp-up, as if I needed it. Thanks!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:27 PM   #52
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Why didn't they get Celine Dion to sing the lyrics?

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
^I hate you.

At least he didn't RickRoll.
At least Rick Astley is catchy!
Old April 26 2009, 11:28 PM   #53
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Wow. Is it May 8th yet?
cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:35 PM   #54
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I'm back in the 60's! help!

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2009, 11:57 PM   #55
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

This really is a nice cue, very bouncy and bright. The first full, really full, all out use of the theme beyond the fanfare in the films. Horner came close at the end of Trek III (and I loved him for it) and used it for a minute, but this score really embraces it.

The score seems to be quite good, with only about half on the album itself. It's also the first time since Generations we have a Trek film with music done by someone other than Jerry Goldsmith. As much as I love the late master, it's nice to hear another point of view. No TMP theme, no Klingon march, no "Star Trek 5 God theme adapted into other stuff." It was time Trek had another musical voice in the films.

It's not the most thematic album, nor the most memorable, but usually the albums don't give you the whole or even correct picture.

Going by the music, there's a whole subtext and heart not even hinted at in the previews. It may be great to have pounding action to bring in the kiddies, but it does the film a disservice. The music is telling me the film is better than the previews.
Old April 27 2009, 01:04 AM   #56
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Having listened to the score several times now, I'd call it a disappointment and not real interesting.

I'll own up to not being very musically sophisticated - I can't be too specifically analytical. The music on the album, though, seems to me to be pretty repetitious with not a lot of strong motifs, a kind of indistinct blur of horns and percussion simply repeating the brief signature of the movie's theme in one variation after another.

The movie theme itself is derivative of other modern film scores - yeah, "The Dark Knight," even if it's a little "brighter."

The way in which the Courage theme and fanfare are used seem unimaginative to me (with one brief exception at the end of "Nero Death Experience") and rather obligatory - "well, we have to put it somewhere, make it a little lush and stick it in here."

Overall I was hoping for something more evocative from the guy who scored "The Incredibles," which is one of my favorite movie scores of recent years.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; April 27 2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old April 27 2009, 01:14 AM   #57
Harvey
Admiral

Hollywood Reporter mentioned that the music was one of the film's only dissapointments in their review. I don't know. I sort of enjoy the end credits suite, even if it batters you with Courage's theme a bit much.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 01:27 AM   #58
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Dennis wrote: View Post
Having listened to the score several times now, I'd call it a disappointment and not real interesting.

I'll own up to not being very musically sophisticated - I can't be too specifically analytical. The music on the album, though, seems to me to be pretty repetitious with not a lot of strong motifs, a kind of indistinct blur of horns and percussion simply repeating the brief signature of the movie's theme in one variation after another.

The movie theme itself is derivative of other modern film scores - yeah, "The Dark Knight," even if it's a little "brighter."

The way in which the Courage theme and fanfare are used seem unimaginative to me (with one brief exception at the end of "Nero Death Experience") and rather obligatory - "well, we have to put it somewhere, make it a little lush and stick it in here."

Overall I was hoping for something more from the guy who scored "The Incredibles," which is one of my favorite movie scores of recent years.
Agreed on all counts. It's aggressively generic. A shame too--speaking of The Incredibles, I'd been hoping that Giacchino might go full-out big band '60s with the Trek score just to be really different. Guess not.
Old April 27 2009, 01:31 AM   #59
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There are things that I like in it - the cues "Hela Bar Talk" and "Enterprising Young Men" stand out - although the latter is maybe a little too familiarly Copeland-like. But okay, maybe I shouldn't nitpick the use of familiar orchestration (or whatever) at the same time that I'm holding up "The Incredibles" as an admired example.
Old April 27 2009, 01:35 AM   #60
Data Holmes
Admiral

I want to see how it plays out in the film. Sometimes it's the combination of the score with the visuals that helps it. I think that a lot of Horner's TWOK score suffers from "screeching Strings" in a few ques which bother me when I listen to the soundtrack standalone but work wonders with the visuals of the scenes they play for.

And while I love the enterprising young man que, I get a "this is a kirk montage" feel from the middle of it.