Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 9 2009, 01:25 AM   #151
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: Soundtrack -what do you think about it?

omnirad wrote: View Post
I am 1/2 way through it, at 'Nice to Meld with You'.
Affirmative. I like it.

-And FINALLY, Chorus Chanting worthy of the Borg or Darth Maul!
THAT'S IT! -it sounds as if a bored John Williams wrote it.

Very good, very professional, very loud, but somewhat lacking...
Old May 9 2009, 01:55 AM   #152
omnirad
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Soundtrack -what do you think about it?

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
omnirad wrote: View Post
I am 1/2 way through it, at 'Nice to Meld with You'.
Affirmative. I like it.

-And FINALLY, Chorus Chanting worthy of the Borg or Darth Maul!
THAT'S IT! -it sounds as if a bored John Williams wrote it.

Very good, very professional, very loud, but somewhat lacking...
Well, I liked the music as the movie played, and listened to the soundtrack a few hours later. Still lovin' it.
The dramatic 'choir of angels' has been an underused color in Trek's musical history. Even on Mr. William's off day.
Old May 9 2009, 03:00 AM   #153
trekkiedane
Admiral

Re: Star Trek end credits and soundtrack discussion thread

After yet another merging of soundtrack threads (sorry, I did try to look for other threads, but my search of "soundtrack" and "OST" on the first handfull of pages didn't turn up anything.) I feel like I need to comment on a couple of things I read in the previous threads:

Tulin wrote: View Post
Film music is a love of mine and I pity those who don't appreciate it.
"Film music" -or- Original SoundTrack(s) (as I prefer: in order to differentiate between pop-music that happens to appear in films and the music written for the film itself to be part of the general artwork of a movie.) is also a great love of my life.
Usually the "End Credits" part of an OST has the same value as an Overture had to music in the old days; samples of the major themes are put together in a single piece that is able to stand alone and represent the whole work.

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
Duno wether to listen or not, or wait until may 7th...
There is no better way to prepare for a film than listening to the OST, It won't 'spoil' you as it can only purvey the emotions, not the action, in the film.
I live a walk of about 12 minutes from the theatre that showed the film: perfect for the End Credits! - really got me in the mood too!
Eddie Roth wrote: View Post
I really like what Giacchino has done here. God bless the late Jerry Goldsmith, but I was getting sick of his recycling. I recently gave a good listen to all the ST scores available, and I must say his scores got consistently less original every time. Especially his "mellow phase" with the very soft themes for FC and INS don't say "Star Trek" to me much anymore. Nemesis I felt was a step up again, but the Goldsmith sound altogether perfectly captures what was wrong with Star Trek so many years: It was tired and mere recycling of past glories.
I kind of agree with the less original part of what I'm reading there, but the music fit the films so I'm not really sure whom to blame!
Then again, I came to love Dennis McCarthy's GEN score. Choral influences, a suitably magical sound for the whole Nexus story. Very good. You can tell it's a Star Trek score eve though it doesn't sound like any of the other ones.
Wow, you put it to words! - that did have a totally different quality to it, that I haven't been able to put my finger on... You can tell it's a Star Trek score even though it doesn't sound like any other.
Mach5 wrote: View Post
/.../ INS score fit perfectly into that whole atmosphere. The opening credits really gave the impression that this Ba'Ku planet is in fact the heaven of peace.
Indeed, the pastorale(?) was just perfect.
Old May 9 2009, 08:53 PM   #154
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

I saw the movie twice now. The first time I didn't really focus to much on the score. The second time I concentrated on it and thought it was very fitting for the movie. I really like the new "Enterprise"-Theme. It's simple but sounds really majestic. I bought the soundtrack yesterday and have really fallen in love with the music. "Labor of Love" and especially "Enterprising Young Men" are fantastic tracks. I think the score works without the movie. I was also a little bit surprised that the movie did not use more of the original themes, but I guess it makes sense. New era, new music.
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 09:35 PM   #155
PointedEars04
Lieutenant Commander

I heard the soundtrack before seeing the movie. When first listening to the soundtrack, the Courage theme sounded out of place, perhaps because I am so used to the Goldsmith theme to finish off a Trek movie.

That all went away when I saw the movie. When the movie ended, and the credits began to role, I thought how only the Courage theme was appropriate to end this film. Like most of this movie, the OST fits perfectly with everything else.

- The Doctor
PointedEars04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 10:32 PM   #156
crohnie
Lieutenant Commander

View crohnie's Twitter Profile

While watching the movie, I decided to buy the soundtrack as soon as I had the chance. The score really worked well in the movie for me.

But I think the soundtrack itself is pretty short and repetitive.

It still sounds epic though.

Blog
Twitter
crohnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 11:14 PM   #157
trekkiedane
Admiral

I must admit that the score is growing on me; It's not really as bad as I first thought.
Old May 9 2009, 11:17 PM   #158
Aragorn
Admiral

Soundtrack is currently $9.97 at Deep Discount with free shipping option and no tax depending on where you live (I think).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 11:26 PM   #159
ST-One
Vice Admiral

I still keep humming the new main theme...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 02:19 AM   #160
Jeri
Vice Admiral

The first time I saw the movie, I thought the music was a little confusing; but by the second time I saw the movie, that theme was worming its way into my head. It is insidious.

So today I had to have it and went out and bought it, and now my craving is being satisfied. For the moment. I'm going to have to see the movie again next week.
Old May 10 2009, 02:45 AM   #161
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

After seeing the movie and listening to the soundtrack again... I still found it overall very bland. The new theme I like, but the action music just runs together. I've also listened to the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack and I find that Williams does a much better job of writing action music that is interesting to listen to. Now some of that isn't a fair comparison as Williams does have 20+years of themes to work with, but I tried listening to the underlying (non-thematic) music and I still thought it was much better. The Star Trek Sound Track really only 'pops' when Giacchino adds in his fun percussion work (like the epic timpanis in a few spots), but overall it doesn't do much to evoke emotion from me. It is sort of just there. I think that it could have stood to have a rewrite done of a few scenes and added in a theme or two.

A Spock/Vulcan theme would have been great because it could have been explored in many different ways throughout the film as Spock goes through many different character states and could be used to highlight the pain he feels in certain scenes and also highlight the differences between young Spock and Spock Prime.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 03:01 AM   #162
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Some of the themes remind me of music from The Search for Spock.
Old May 10 2009, 04:58 AM   #163
Tulin
Vice Admiral

ST-One wrote: View Post
You have a gorgeous av but sorry, I have to say, "BLASPHEMY!!!!!!"

about the Ottman/Williams comparison?
Yes.

But I will change my opinion if I can meet the guy in your avatar.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 05:06 AM   #164
Tulin
Vice Admiral

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Film music is a love of mine and I pity those who don't appreciate it.
"Film music" -or- Original SoundTrack(s) (as I prefer: in order to differentiate between pop-music that happens to appear in films and the music written for the film itself to be part of the general artwork of a movie.)
I don't need to differentiate because I would NEVER consider actual songs within the film to be in the same echelon as the actual film's originally written MUSIC(OST, as you call it).

I guess my hatred for songs within films came about in the mid 80's when studios started ditching film MUSIC for their soundtracks and would just release an album of all the songs that appeared in the film. The most eggregious example was the beautiful and haunting music for "The Goonies". What we got was a bland album of second rate songs(except Cyndi Lauper)that appeared mostly as "source music"(being heard on radios and so on)within the film.

Thus my hatred for songs within films taking up valuable real estate on soundtrack albums.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 05:33 AM   #165
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Sometimes though there are separate releases made: one for the score and one for various songs that appear in the film, as in the example you gave, on radios and such.