Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 9 2009, 12:49 AM   #136
dougkeenan
Commander

View dougkeenan's Twitter Profile
Re: Soundtrack -what do you think about it?

Yeah, it took awhile before being able to whistle the theme.

But "Labor of Love" was great even before seeing the movie.
dougkeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:51 AM   #137
USS Gettysburg
Captain

The score goes great with the movie. We miss quite a few cues that are present in the movie full score in the soundtrack. However, I enjoy the three themes presented on the soundtrack. I think that they avoided the use of a lot of the 'Courage' or 'Klingon' themes because those haven't happened yet.

I think that Giacchinno's is trying to establish this Star Trek's own themes (1) because it is a new universe and (2) those themes haven't happened yet. (Batman Begins approach). That's why we get 'Courage' at the end. Although if your attentive you will hear the hints of the harps and trumpet fanfares at times. Those are certainly distinct Trek elements. Also, in 'Enterprising Young Men' we get that staccato intro that is present in so many other Trek themes. I think what you have to look for in this soundtrack is the "beginning" of our Star Trek music collection. The elements are what are being emphasized, broken down, and used to create new themes.

Of course Giacchinno's use of percussions can never be questioned. That guy can bang some drums. To me the percussions really reminded me of TOS at times, especially in 'End Credits.' People will probably call this nothing but loud, summer music! But, actually percussion in movies is a lost art that Giacchinno is kind of the up and comer in.

However, once you see the movie pay attention to the stuff that's not in the soundtrack. There are a lot of wonderful cues at least. I hope we get in an expanded release. Also, he has a lot to build from in upcoming movies.

Just getting the 'End Credits' as a 9 minute full suite was fantastic. That was certainly the most creative part of the score. Particularly after the drab rehash of Insurrection, FC, and Nemesis in the ending credits. Here we get full fledge integration of themes and 'Courage' as well as new material. The CD is worth the buy just for those 9.5 minutes.

B+

Last edited by USS Gettysburg; May 9 2009 at 01:05 AM.
USS Gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:52 AM   #138
Zeppster
Commodore

I didn't like it so much at the beginning, but as the movie went on the music was good. The end putting in Alexander Courage's theme was a great touch.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:55 AM   #139
davejames
Vice Admiral

It sounds great in the movie, but I agree it doesn't work quite as well on it's own.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 12:58 AM   #140
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I wasn't very impressed at first, but I found myself singing the theme after a couple of days.
Old May 9 2009, 12:58 AM   #141
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

Well, I'm not a fan of Michael Giacchino's work in general, and his Star Trek work is no exception. I found it very bland.
Old May 9 2009, 01:01 AM   #142
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

I love the recurring theme, it's simplistic and stays with you.

I don't very much care for the rest, while it was good as a musical score; as something to actually listen to it's not for me -- even though I love a lot of different genres, most musical scores tend to fall flat when there's no movie to accompany it.

In fact, the only soundtrack I ever liked to listen to 'out-of-context' is the soundtrack from the game (gasp!) Fable by Russel Shaw. Really, you should try it (You can listen to a small sample here at Amazon -- unfortunately, the best moments aren't in the samples). Especially the second song on the album; Oakvale. Close your eyes, start the music and you'll believe yourself a kid in an ideal, green village with lots of friendly neighbors and not a problem in the world.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 01:03 AM   #143
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

USS Gettysburg wrote: View Post
The score goes great with the movie. We miss quite a few cues that are present in the movie full score in the soundtrack. However, I enjoy the three themes presented on the soundtrack. I think that they avoided the use of a lot of the 'Courage' or 'Klingon' themes because those haven't happened yet.
I didn't mean to suggest that we should have those themes in this film, just that they were almost instantly hum-alongable. I kind of miss such instantly hum-it-while-you-leave-the-theatre themes, is what I meant.
However, once you see the movie pay attention to the stuff that's not in the soundtrack. There are a lot of wonderful cues at least. I hope we get in an expanded release.
Ooooh, me too!
Just getting the 'End Credits' as a 9 minute full suite was fantastic. That was certainly the most creative part of the score. Particularly after the drab rehash of Insurrection, FC, and Nemesis in the ending credits. Here we get full fledge integration of themes and 'Courage' as well as new material. The CD is worth the buy just for those 9.5 minutes.
9 min 11 sec. -yeah, I wholeheartedly agree! - But then "End Credits" are always the best part of OST's
Old May 9 2009, 01:11 AM   #144
sto vo kor
Fleet Captain

I enjoyed it.
Old May 9 2009, 01:11 AM   #145
nx1701g
Admiral

I'm afraid that the soundtrack didn't do it that much for me. It really needs the scenes to go along with it, though "To Boldly Go" is still great and I like the new Star Trek theme.
Old May 9 2009, 01:11 AM   #146
HamTard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I love the main (Kirk?) theme. I keep humming it.
HamTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 01:17 AM   #147
omnirad
Lieutenant Commander

I am 1/2 way through it, at 'Nice to Meld with You'.
Affirmative. I like it.

-And FINALLY, Chorus Chanting worthy of the Borg or Darth Maul!
Old May 9 2009, 01:19 AM   #148
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

I loved it, even though MG borrowed a Lost theme, can't remember which scene in the movie at the moment, but it's the theme on Lost when 'a journey' is about to take place, at the end of 'Follow the Leader' for example.
Old May 9 2009, 01:21 AM   #149
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I would've prefered to have had a bit more of the Enterprise theme.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 01:23 AM   #150
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I found myself consciously enjoying it while watching the film but there was no "omg I have to get this soundtrack" thought. I will be listening closer with my next viewing. At this point I don't think it translates into something I want to listen to outside of the movie.

Memories of playing my STAR WARS [ANH] double record all summer, and the smell of the black album cover with Darth Vader on it come flooding back.. that was great stuff a long time ago in another world. I'd love to hit that level of muscial love with a Trek film.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote