Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 3 2009, 06:09 PM   #106
noknowes
Lieutenant Commander

Re: What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
What aspects of the original show would be changed in this remake? Which aspects would you rather be changed? How gritty do it think it would be? Would it take the same kind of risks in storytelling the way Battlestar Galactica did? Would be the relationships between the characters be portrayed more realistically and develop more organically? Would be the humor less chessy and more sharp and witty like Joss Whedon's brand of humor in his shows?

Let the discussion begin.

BSG was truly awful with endless dull dialogue,lack of sparkle or wit, dull dirges and teenage angst foisted onto adults with their endless personal problems plus the vomit inducing camerwork made it unwatchable except for BSG nerds.

Leave B5 ALONE IT WAS EXCELLENT THE WAY IT WAS.
noknowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 06:46 PM   #107
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
In real life, there is probably no way that a B5 reboot or remake would go anywhere because of the reasons that chrisspringbob brought up, but that shouldn't preclude discussion about the topic, nor should it preclude the exploration of said topic via the realm of fanfiction.

Even though the likelihood of something like this happening IRL is slim, there IS a chance that it could work (there's always a chance; just ask people like George Lucas).
True dat.

While reading the above, I got an idea on how you can do a remake and still coexist with the original.

If Babylon 5 was a future history, then new and different takes on those events may eventually develop like in our own history. A reboot/remake/whatever of B5 could be disguised as a newer historical take on those events post-Burn that either negates or embellishes on things from the previous ISN docudrama, i.e. the original B5 series.
Old May 3 2009, 07:33 PM   #108
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

theenglish wrote: View Post
For all its flaws, B5 had a lot to offer and holds a unique place in Science Fiction (any form of Science Fiction). I would not object to a TNG style remake of the series, but there is no need to go back to a reinvention of the original premise.

Unlike the original BSG which only had a season's worth of episodes, B5 has a complete, intact arc that holds together very well and does not need to be redone.

Other shows, like BSG which were poorly done originally or only have a few episodes to them could be redone nuBSG style. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is a possibility for this category, for example.

Other shows have recently had the potential for well done re-imaginings such as Bionic Woman and Knight Rider but failed miserably.
I agree with this here - B5 finished. TOS BSG never got to tell it's whole story.

As to Buck Rogers, hell yeah, can see a good make-over going down well if done right.

Personally, all I'd like to see of B5 is cleaning up of the effects (e.g the EAS Churchill did NOT ram the EAS Roanoke! ). The only thing storywise I'd like to see changed is the spreading out of the Byron/Earth Civil War stories over season 4 and 5 as planned, rather than rushing the Civil War due to fears that they wouldn't get Season Five.
Old May 3 2009, 08:46 PM   #109
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post

Agreed completely. as far as "dark and and gritty" goes, B5 is as dark as sci-fi should get. Every copy of New Galactica should be burned, and it's producers should be put into therapy.

Okay, rant over. That said, B5 is perfect as is. No need for a remake.
Yes because everything a show about the last survivors of an entire race runing for their lives trying to find a new home in a mostly barren galaxy should be all light and happy. I mean the The Holocaust was apparently all smiles and sunshine
I never said New Galactica should have been "all light and happy", but I do think they should have put more emphasis on giving the last surivors of the colonies hope for rebuilding their society in the future instead of focusing on the trivial nonsense and angst-ridden bullshit that they did.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2009, 11:35 PM   #110
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

^^^^Agreed. BSG, while having its moments, was almost a test of seeing how long an audience can last without sticking their heads in the oven. B5 was about hope. Hope for a better future. It seems that RDM was just releasing that pent up bleakness he couldn't get away with in Trek. I also don't want him handling Batman either. Again, he is a hopeful character. Probably moreso than Superman. Moreso that he would admit to himself.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2009, 01:48 AM   #111
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

blockaderunner wrote: View Post
^^^^Agreed. BSG, while having its moments, was almost a test of seeing how long an audience can last without sticking their heads in the oven. B5 was about hope. Hope for a better future. It seems that RDM was just releasing that pent up bleakness he couldn't get away with in Trek.
You know, when watching New Galactica, I often wondered the same thing. It seems to me that, instead of working on New Galactica at all, Moore just should have simply used an enema.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2009, 08:09 PM   #112
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

But really, for those who has had criticisms about Babylon 5 in the past, what would be a list of things you rather have seen corrected, enhanced, or altered completely that could be done in a Babylon 5 remake?
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2009, 10:37 PM   #113
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Nothing of substance. I'd rather just see the existing show remastered for HD.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2009, 10:43 PM   #114
clint g
Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
But really, for those who has had criticisms about Babylon 5 in the past, what would be a list of things you rather have seen corrected, enhanced, or altered completely that could be done in a Babylon 5 remake?
The only really big thing that I would want fixed are the CGI and FX. Other than that, I was pretty damn satisfied with what I got from B5. I like how the first season was on slow burn, it allowed for some forshadowing, and I love that stuff. Maybe find a way to extend the mains story arcs into the fifth season. That would probably be doable since I think the original plan was for the main story to enter into the fifth season, but they didn't do it because they though the show would be cancelled in the forth
Old July 26 2009, 11:00 PM   #115
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I'd improve the FX, and maybe I'd re-hire most of the extras since their acting was usually horrible. Slightly better budget would improve that, or maybe make the show in Canada for cheaper costs and thus more extra money for actors.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2009, 11:19 PM   #116
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

JMS's recent interview on the Babylon Podcast has the Great Maker saying that a new series, movie, or even remake could be made, because he still has stories that he never got a chance to do on the series.
Old July 26 2009, 11:41 PM   #117
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

No need to reimagine B5 ... certainly no need to trashify it by making it BSg style.
Old July 27 2009, 12:44 AM   #118
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Wouldn't a Babylon 5 written by RDM be something similar to DS9? I don't mean to start a B5 vs. DS9 debate but he did write many episodes after all. Although I still dislike a lot of conventions that BSG held too like doing away with aliens, laser weapons, force fields, etc. I fell a B5 remake would be ruined by such things.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 01:35 AM   #119
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I don't see how B5 would work without aliens...
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2009, 01:46 AM   #120
Vonstadt
Captain

I think B5 is fine as it is for now. Someday maybe a reimagined touch up but to be honest I think would prefer TPTB work on some new and original stuff. Take some chances.

Also though I rather liked the first half of NUBSG I hardly think it is the end all be all of remake and reimagining standards. B5 is much different than Old BSG and NuBSG.

What worked for one doesnt mean it will work for the other.

Just my two cents.

Vons