Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 27 2009, 08:12 PM   #61
Jan
Commodore

Re: What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

mandragora wrote: View Post
I don't think B5 would necessarily have been better with more writers, but that is due to the circumstances, not because having just one writer is the superior solution in principle. On the contrary, I think provided some prerequisites are met, a team is likely to be better. What is needed is a plan, a team of regular staff writers who agree to said plan, and one or two persons who guide that team, and regular meetings to discuss how to proceed with the show.
I don't disagree with this but I don't think that a story as dense as B5 was could be done in only five years doing it that way. If the amount of time allowed were expanded (and granted, the five-year real-world limit wasn't necessary) I think it could work very well. I'm sure we'd see al lot more of the B5 universe explored if there were more time, too, and I think I'd enjoy that a lot.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 08:20 PM   #62
flavaflav
Commander

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
What about the first 2 seasons?
dug it up until the Pegasus storyline got going, and then I went

anyhoo, your idea about Valen being Sinclair & Delenn's kid actually sounds good. Makes way more sense than the Minbari soul thing.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 08:46 PM   #63
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

What if Vir becomes Londo's nephew from Midnight on the Firing Line? To make him feel like he's made some good out of the Ragesh 3 mess, Londo takes on him as his aide. But it takes Vir a while to fully recover from his PTSD.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 09:37 PM   #64
Candlelight
Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
Okay, let's get rid of Sinclair altogether, which would be one thing that would make the remake more its own entity while still having a connection to the original somewhat.
With Sinclair out of the picture, Sheridan would be the commanding officer of Babylon 5 from the very beginning. He would be the one who formed the friendship with Garibaldi back on Mars and chose him to be the new head of security.
This is something I would've preferred in the version we got (casting issues aside). If Sheridan was in charge from the start, Sinclair could've been the ambassador assigned to the station, and appears in season one only.

Season two he goes to Minbar and effectively leaves the show as normal, but then a new pro-Clark ambassador arrives and gives Sheridan a headache - but is removed during season three, or switches sides.
Old April 28 2009, 03:01 AM   #65
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Sounds like a human take on the new Vorlon ambassador. Replacing a previous liked character with an unlikable darker militant one who gets removed later on.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 06:43 AM   #66
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
A team of RDM and JMS would be THE MOST AWESOME, KICKASS, team in all of science-fiction history, and would be a union so grand in it's pure awesomeness, that the universe itself would explode, from an inability to cope with such blinding grandeur.
No, it would be complete bullshit, and would result in the destruction of great characters (Delenn, G'Kar, Lennier, Londo, Vir) all because people like RDM don't like aliens and don't want them on the show, plus instead of Garibaldi overcoming his addiction, he'd be in his cups all the time, like Tigh. Again, no thanks on this remake-at least, not with RDM.

Those that don't like Babylon 5, hear me again; JMS's show may be wacky doodle, but it's his wacky doodle; you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. Remaking it to be like BSG would be ass, and would be a failure, so tough shit for you guys.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; April 28 2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 09:13 AM   #67
dru
Fleet Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
Why does everything have to remade into Battlestar Galactica, B5 is fine just the way it is.
Amen.

Moore's series was not even successful except by the low standards of the SyFy Channel.
Old April 28 2009, 10:02 AM   #68
dru
Fleet Captain

(grr... double post)
Old April 28 2009, 10:03 AM   #69
dru
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The original BSG was awful and couldn't be brought back without serious changes.
Funny that. Just a year before Fox & Universal had begun production and set building on a continuation, large elements of which ended up cribbed and reused in Moore's bastardization despite his protestations to the contrary.

Fondness for the original was the reason eyeballs looked at his miniseries and yet how significantly did ratings drop off over time for that supposed 'best show on tv'?

To answer the OT, no way should B5 is reimagined like that failed show. Besides andreas katsulas is irreplaceable.
Old April 28 2009, 10:17 AM   #70
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I would rather see a remake of Crusade.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 11:57 AM   #71
Anwar
Vice Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
I'm sure JMS would also like that, with himself in charge without any Exec Interference this time.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2009, 04:29 PM   #72
clint g
Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
If anything, i think Crusade would probably flow better as an RDM style remake than b5 would. That said, I'd rather NOT have RDM involved in anything B5 related. I know he has his fans but B5 was fine the way it was, there is no reason to make it darker and all RDMified.
Old April 28 2009, 04:34 PM   #73
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
No, it would be complete bullshit, and would result in the destruction of great characters (Delenn, G'Kar, Lennier, Londo, Vir) all because people like RDM don't like aliens and don't want them on the show...
Yes, Ron Moore, the guy who wrote almost every klingon-focused episode on The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, doesn't like aliens and doesn't want them in his shows.

...plus instead of Garibaldi overcoming his addiction, he'd be in his cups all the time, like Tigh.
Yes, because not only is Ron Moore constitutionally incapable of allowing a character to recover from an addiction (like, say, Starbuck quitting smoking), Garibaldi didn't ever relapse. Oh, wait.

Seriously, man, in Season 5, Garibaldi's alcoholism caused him to miss meetings, make an ass of himself and, oh, yes, fail to prevent a devastating interstellar war. At least Tigh was functional. It wasn't the booze that made him incompetent, it was Ellen.
Old April 28 2009, 10:39 PM   #74
ltcmmanderdata
Lieutenant Commander

i dont mean to offend you sir but theres no need for remakes of babylon 5 anytime soon. babylon 5 is perfectly fine. i like bsg too but i dont see any need to make a bsg type babylon 5.
ltcmmanderdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2009, 12:34 AM   #75
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

I don't think a remake of Babylon 5 is needed or necessary. That being said, I'd like to see JMS take what he learned and do another novel-for-television but this time with a dedicated writing staff so he doesn't have to handle the majority of the writing.