Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 11 2012, 06:41 PM   #151
Mars
Captain

Re: What if a BSG-styled remake of Babylon 5 was made?

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Everyone making nuBSG categorically stated that in their universe, there were no aliens. RDM said it, EJO said it (and threatened to walk off the job if aliens were ever introduced), so I'd count that as canon.
I've never heard anyone say that aliens don't exist, period. As far as I know, it was only implied that they wouldn't be included due to the show's nature as well as Olmos' feelings on the matter. It's entirely possible for the viewer to speculate that they might exist, just that we don't and won't see them. We don't see aliens or ninjas on Seinfeld. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, it just means that we don't see them because they're not part of what the show is trying to do.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Since No Aliens was a rule in the NuBSG Universe, it's natural when someone says "In the BSG Style", to presume that one aspect of that means without Aliens. If that wasn't intention, that's fine, but, it should be stated, that "No Aliens" aspect, wasn't supposed to be considered, and exactly what "NuBSG Style" does mean, otherwise, other aspects of the show, may be wrongly assumed to be intended, IMHO, of course
To me, "BSG-style" simply means naturalistic (and maybe a bit over-the-top) drama with realistic effects and production values. In other words, Sci fi that looks like it can happen in the real world. It's not as specific as "no aliens". Stargate Universe, The Walking Dead and I believe Falling Skies use that style and they have aliens, with monsters in The Walking Dead's case. I think BSG-style can include anything, so long as the naturalism I mentioned remains at the core. We're just talking TV shows. Lots of movies have already done this, like the Alien and Terminator franchises as well as one-offs like Solaris, The Abyss, Sphere, etc. I see all those as BSG-style.
You really can't do realistic aliens with actors in makeup, so you'd have continuous CGI, of have to shove them offstage most of the time for budgetary reasons. One can argue whether Alien was realistic, an alien that requires humans to reproduce? How could such a creature evolve if it required aliens from another planet as incubators for its eggs?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 10:16 PM   #152
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post

You really can't do realistic aliens with actors in makeup, so you'd have continuous CGI, of have to shove them offstage most of the time for budgetary reasons. One can argue whether Alien was realistic, an alien that requires humans to reproduce? How could such a creature evolve if it required aliens from another planet as incubators for its eggs?
Uh, gee, that's a tough one. Oh wait! It used... get this... the other life on it's home planet as incubators! Wow, that was tough.
Old September 12 2012, 04:04 AM   #153
Mars
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
Mars wrote: View Post

Uh, gee, that's a tough one. Oh wait! It used... get this... the other life on it's home planet as incubators! Wow, that was tough.
We are carbon based life forms, the Alien is a carbon based life form, but the thing about carbon based life forms is that they are based on carbon molecules, and the thing about carbon atoms is there are many ways to connect them. Life on Earth evolved one way with a certain arrangements of carbon atoms connected together in a certain way, on another planet they could have been connected differently, the very nutrients we ingest and digest have evolved over billions of years on Earth. Billions of years on another planet would have evolved different nutrients and different life form had evolved to process. I don't think the carbon-based molecules in the human body would be compatible with an alien that evolved on another planet. An alien couldn't eat us without getting indigestion, it couldn't implant eggs in us and expect the eggs to survive. Space Vampires make little sense as well.
Old September 12 2012, 04:42 AM   #154
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Perhaps the Aliens were a bioweapon designed to prey on Terran life.

Anyway, that sort of compatibility is a conceit of the genre and requires-- say it with me-- "willing suspension of disbelief". Throw that out and you throw out a lot of popular s.f., including Spock, Barsoom, "To Serve Man", and "Mars Needs Women." Come to think of it, you're also throwing out nuBSG, considering where the colonists ended up.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 12:41 PM   #155
Mars
Captain

There are a lot of movies where aliens come from light years away just to feast on humans, that is simply a repackaging of a horror movie with science fiction trappings. A good science fiction movie would give the aliens some motivation besides trying to eat something that is probably poisonous to them. Meat is made of hydrocarbons and so is gasoline, I don't think drinking gasoline would be good for you.