The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old December 8 2011, 02:19 PM   #1
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Sci-Fi movie where a man is enhanced by a computer?

hey all, i've been on the lookout for this kind of movie and haven't had any success. i'm looking for something where we see a normal man who has a futuristic computer inbuilt, or attached in some way. something like how the predator's have the attached shoulder cannon. i dunno, i'm just trying to illustrate a better idea of what i'm looking for. maybe something where a person goes back in time and has a futuristic AI built into him that guides him along the way?

be great if it was something serious like a terminator style movie.

i really like the idea of that car AI in 'frankenstein unbound'.

anyone have some recommendations?

thanks
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: Sci-Fi movie where a man is enhanced by a computer?

Lawnmower Man
Old December 8 2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Pingfah
Admiral

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
hey all, i've been on the lookout for this kind of movie and haven't had any success.
You're not trying very hard then. I think your "looking out" for things consists of nothing more than coming here and asking people to google shit for you.
Old December 8 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

hey all, i've been on the lookout for this kind of movie and haven't had any success. i'm looking for something where we see a normal man who has a futuristic computer inbuilt, or attached in some way. something like how the predator's have the attached shoulder cannon. i dunno, i'm just trying to illustrate a better idea of what i'm looking for. maybe something where a person goes back in time and has a futuristic AI built into him that guides him along the way?

be great if it was something serious like a terminator style movie.

i really like the idea of that car AI in 'frankenstein unbound'.

anyone have some recommendations?

thanks
Try searching for cyborgs.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:40 PM   #5
RAMA
Vice Admiral

There are lots of movie like this these days...if you want to look for probably the best movies of the genre try The Matrix(they jack into it), and Ghost in the Shell, a Japanese anime that goes from action cyberpunk, to philosophical treatise. The 2.0 version includes some re-imagined animation in CGI, but I generally prefer the original 2D animation in it. Some other movies/tv with cyborgs: I, Robot(Spooner), Bicentennial Man(A reverse cyborg), Robocop, $6 Million Man, Bionic Woman, Terminator, STFC(another reverse cyborg: Dat. One of my favorites is STNG's "Nth Degree", when Barclay is linked to the Enterprise computer through advanced alien tech.

There are plenty of grade b and z movies in the genre, some of these include Laserblast, Johnny Mnemonic, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Mandroid, The Guyver, Judge Dredd, Inframan, Cyborg, Eve of Destruction, Hardware.

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; December 8 2011 at 06:34 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Dr. Chandra
Captain

Pingfalalalalah wrote: View Post
hey all, i've been on the lookout for this kind of movie and haven't had any success.
You're not trying very hard then. I think your "looking out" for things consists of nothing more than coming here and asking people to google shit for you.
Nice. Merry Christmas to you, too!
Dr. Chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2011, 02:24 AM   #7
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
There are lots of movie like this these days...if you want to look for probably the best movies of the genre try The Matrix(they jack into it), and Ghost in the Shell, a Japanese anime that goes from action cyberpunk, to philosophical treatise. The 2.0 version includes some re-imagined animation in CGI, but I generally prefer the original 2D animation in it. Some other movies/tv with cyborgs: I, Robot(Spooner), Bicentennial Man(A reverse cyborg), Robocop, $6 Million Man, Bionic Woman, Terminator, STFC(another reverse cyborg: Dat. One of my favorites is STNG's "Nth Degree", when Barclay is linked to the Enterprise computer through advanced alien tech.

There are plenty of grade b and z movies in the genre, some of these include Laserblast, Johnny Mnemonic, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Mandroid, The Guyver, Judge Dredd, Inframan, Cyborg, Eve of Destruction, Hardware.

RAMA
ok, thanks brother, you mentioned a lot of great titles. i'm looking up the movies you mentioned right now. yeah, i really liked a lot of the films you mentioned, even the barclay episode from TNG.

the first two terminator movies are just so awesome to me. is there anything out there more along the lines of a human going back in time with more technology? maybe that's another thread altogether.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2011, 02:40 AM   #8
xortex
Commodore

Check out the movie Millenium. Pretty damn cool.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

RAMA
ok, thanks brother, you mentioned a lot of great titles. i'm looking up the movies you mentioned right now. yeah, i really liked a lot of the films you mentioned, even the barclay episode from TNG.

the first two terminator movies are just so awesome to me. is there anything out there more along the lines of a human going back in time with more technology? maybe that's another thread altogether.
Wait and see if the "Booster Gold" TV show is picked up.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2011, 09:12 AM   #10
acappellasaurus
Fleet Captain

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes with a young Kurt Russell
acappellasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Add to those B-movies Dungeonmaster aka Ragewar where a guy fights a demon (or wizard, it's been a while) with his wrist mounted computer.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

acappellasaurus wrote: View Post
The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes with a young Kurt Russell
Another vote for this suggestion. The scene where he goes on a rampage wielding only a pencil after losing the school debate is right up there with the best of brutal Sci-fi action.

If you are looking for a Terminator style film, this is the one to go for.

There's 'Outlander'. Jesus plays an alien that crashes on Earth and has to help Vikings battle a monstrous creature he accidently brought with him.
Old December 9 2011, 11:43 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

If you like Terminator, might I suggest two classic OUTER LIMITS episodes from the sixties: "Soldier" and "Demon with a Glass Hand."

(He says puckishly.)
Old December 9 2011, 11:57 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

xortex wrote: View Post
Check out the movie Millenium. Pretty damn cool.
I guarantee that no one has ever said that before.

Fun fact: Scott Thompson (from Kids in the Hall) was in the film. He later described it (in character on the show as 'Buddy Cole') thus:

I'm in this new American picture 'Millennium'. It's a big budget science fiction thriller starring Cheryl Ladd. You see, one day some American thought: 'Hey, I want to make a terrible movie in Canada. Everybody else has!' I play the best friend of the time gate operator. He has one line, but he says it directly to me! The movie is full of Canadian actors with one line. It's great! It won't make a dime!

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; December 10 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2011, 12:19 AM   #15
Peak
Fleet Captain

Still the most realistic movie on this theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMnLlF0GWk

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote