A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which Starfleet uniform do you enjoy the most?
TOS TV Show Uniform 33 11.11%
TOS: TMP Uniform 15 5.05%
TOS Movies 2-6 Uniform 74 24.92%
Early TNG Uniform 1 0.34%
TNG Season 3-7 Uniform 23 7.74%
Early DS9/Generations Uniform 16 5.39%
Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform 108 36.36%
ST: Enterprise Uniform 27 9.09%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 2 2009, 05:44 AM   #61
James Wright
Commodore

Re: What is your favorite Star Trek uniform?

I like TOS Movies(2-6)!

James
James Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2009, 10:18 AM   #62
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Well, the DS9/VOY unis were used at the same time as the TNG unis, so the TNGs could the considered the Service Dress, as it were, with the TNG/VOY dress uniforms as Full Dress and the Ins/Nem ones as Mess Dress. Matches their appearance and stuff.
Old May 2 2009, 02:29 PM   #63
32JaX
Lieutenant

First Contact!
32JaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 02:39 PM   #64
Anika Hanson
Captain

TNG seasons 3-7
Old May 5 2009, 02:53 PM   #65
bluedana

ENT's uniforms because they had pockets to stash stuff in(like your communicator and padd), serviceable layers, and two away-mission jackets (light and heavy). I also like the NX-01 ballcaps. I did like the "dress uniform" from TATV, but maybe that's just because Bakula looked especially hawt in it. They just seemed so practical for everyday use, and not at all gaudy.
Old May 5 2009, 04:57 PM   #66
Praetor
Vice Admiral

The ENT uniforms, while very practical, suffered from the same 'too dress-down' feeling that the 'jumpsuits' from DS9 onward did, IMO. I'd, again as I do with the DS9 jumpsuits, prefer that the ENT jumpsuits were a class C uniform and there was a class B jacket/pants combo uniform that is rarely seen. And Archer's dress uniform from 'TATV' wasn't bad.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 07:26 PM   #67
clint g
Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
The ENT uniforms, while very practical, suffered from the same 'too dress-down' feeling that the 'jumpsuits' from DS9 onward did, IMO. I'd, again as I do with the DS9 jumpsuits, prefer that the ENT jumpsuits were a class C uniform and there was a class B jacket/pants combo uniform that is rarely seen. And Archer's dress uniform from 'TATV' wasn't bad.
They were probably just working off of modern US Military trends of streamlining uniforms. In the Army for example, they are working on cutting down the number of uniforms to two. Same with the Air Force, and the Navy is trying to slim down its un-necessarily massive amount of uniforms as well.
Old May 5 2009, 09:50 PM   #68
Basill
Captain

I voted with the Movies 2-6 crowd. Though I agree with many that they are somewhat too formal for functional duty wear, they were the best dress up. The older I get the more I like the TOS uniforms as well, though there is something about them that still doesn't sit perfect with me. Maybe I have seen too many people that just don't look good in them over the years. The cut does not produce a universally pleasing form. But then again what does? I used to love the TNG onward designs, but most TNG aesthetics, including the uniforms, have drifted out of my favor over the past few years.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 10:56 PM   #69
Praetor
Vice Admiral

clint g wrote: View Post
They were probably just working off of modern US Military trends of streamlining uniforms. In the Army for example, they are working on cutting down the number of uniforms to two. Same with the Air Force, and the Navy is trying to slim down its un-necessarily massive amount of uniforms as well.
I do applaud that simplification, actually, and I feel it is the future of the military and therefore any real Starfleet that gets founded.

It's just - I don't know. I don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but I feel like the military needs to maintain some extent of traditions and formality in order to remain successful going forward. Should there be umpteen different types? Certainly not. Even in TMP, looking at it, there were really only about four uniforms, in several different colors and sleeve styles. Would the colors and sleeve styles really constitute a variant? Not to me.

I'd be happy with three different classes - a full-on spit and polish dress uniform reserved for super-special functions, a 'dress-up' jacket and pants combo with a short-sleeve shirt option beneath, and a 'dress-down' jumpsuit with lots of pockets.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2009, 11:10 PM   #70
urbandk
Commodore

Kelvin uniforms!
Old May 5 2009, 11:14 PM   #71
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I like the TOS 2-6 and FC uniforms, but my major problem: don't they get too stuffy with all those layers and thick fabrics?

Now that I think about, many of the complaints about Trek around the time of Nemesis was that the franchise was getting darker. I think it's somewhat logical to attribute that mindset to the uniforms, just as how some people thought TNG was bland simply because the bridge was beige (and hey, degrees of truthiness vary, but color theory is very real).

Prior to that, the TNG 3-7 uniforms were almost too bright. Yeah, I look back with rose-tinted glasses as I grew up with those uniforms, and the sharp shoulders and collars were simple but vast improvements over the TNG 1-2 uniforms. But there's one episode (Journey's End) where Picard, Troi, and Worf face down the Cardassians. Picking those three crewmen showed the nice variety between division colors, but the big bad and armored Cardassians in the bright and dusty desert made the Starfleet uniforms look almost childish and outdated, an opinion I had when the episode first premiered.

I do like that Generations had a mix of TNG 3-7 and DS9/VOY uniforms. It showed a lot more variety and freedom for officers to choose. But that's only a temporary solution.

With that said, I prefer the ENT uniforms, though that could just be my 21st century biases coming in. I'm starting to like the ST: Online uniforms.
Old May 6 2009, 12:30 AM   #72
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

urbandk wrote: View Post
Kelvin uniforms!
If we're going that way, I'll say those blonde chicks from Justice!

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 03:49 AM   #73
Loqutus
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to Loqutus

The original "The Cage" pilot uniforms. Although I DO have a thing for the mini skirts the women wore. I feel that the women would have really worn slacks like the men. More professional and serious
Old May 16 2009, 06:34 AM   #74
comsol
Captain

bryce wrote: View Post
sbk1234 wrote: View Post
Had they used black pants for the TMP uniforms, they may have actually gotten my vote. I think the colors of the uniforms had to be broken up more. That would have also eliminated all the comparisons to pajamas.

Here:http://www.tinypic.info/files/hregvzd3dbf9uwunp1jv.jpg

^Top row, second from left - TMP uniform, but with black & red coloring! I really like how it looks!

So yeah, a little *color* does wonders for that uniform!

(Odd about the coloring...'cause I was surprised at how well the animators got many/most of the Trek details - including a future Starfleet com-badge from TNG/Voy...I wonder if the coloring folks in Korea or India or burundi burundi or wherever they outsource it to was responsible for that...?)
At one point the TMP uniforms were going to be two-toned. I have seen some Robert Fletcher drawings that had a white chest panel (like the one on Admiral Kirk's uniform) on the gray uniform background as well as a couple of sketches of a white and tan version. All of these drawings had a round gray or tan collar, closer fitting sleeve cuffs and longer pointed shoulder tabs. I have also seen photos of a prototype of one of the tan uniforms when it was offered on ebay last year.
Old May 16 2009, 02:08 PM   #75
borgfan8of5
Lieutenant

Personally prefer the First contact-Nemesis unifroms, but the 2-6 uniforms are a close second for me.
borgfan8of5 is offline   Reply With Quote