RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 403
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: What did you think of this episode?
Excellent 20 80.00%
Good 5 20.00%
Average 0 0%
Disappointing 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26 2009, 05:16 AM   #16
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: The Office 5x22 'Broke' Discuss & Grade SPOILERS

It was a satisfying conclusion to the story arc, but, personally, outside of Pam becoming a salesperson, the arc seemed very throwaway.

I was getting really sick of the "Crap on Jim" that Charles kept doing. It seemed very childish of Charles to keep belittling Jim continuously (although, I admit, Jim did stumble into it at times). I did like how Jim finally was able to shine as David likes Jim (a fact I am glad the writers didn't forget).

Also, I don't get why David Wallace always gives Michael the benefit of the doubt and constantly puts up with Micheal's antics. I know that, apparently/somehow, Michael is a good sales person (and, by proxy, manager), but I cannot see any CEO giving what he gave to Michael so easily, regardless on how "good" he is.

Also, what was the exact settlement? The 60 thousand and their jobs back? Or one or the other. Also, was Charles fired outright or is he simply going to be transferred? They were never clear on that.

Charles is suppose to reappear in the season ender. I wonder how that will play.
Old April 26 2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Mr Light
Admiral

I understood they got their jobs back but no money payout, and that Charles was transferred (why would they fire him?). I just thought of another side-story that was completely lost in this arc; Kevin as the secretary! Would have liked to have seen more of that!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 03:31 AM   #18
David cgc
Vice Admiral

^ Charles wasn't transferred, he just went back to doing his job as Jan (and Ryan's) replacement in New York. He was just subbing in as manager at Scranton until someone new could be hired. Wallace mentioned that he was still living in a hotel, after all.

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Also, I don't get why David Wallace always gives Michael the benefit of the doubt and constantly puts up with Micheal's antics. I know that, apparently/somehow, Michael is a good sales person (and, by proxy, manager), but I cannot see any CEO giving what he gave to Michael so easily, regardless on how "good" he is.
Well, it was in Wallace's best interest to make the Michael Scott Paper Company go away as quickly as possible, since the Scranton Branch was starting to crap up under Charles on its own, and MSPC was leaching away their business. While they couldn't do it forever, they could definitely make it to the next earnings report, when, as Michael pointed out, all the investors would be very curious as to why DM's best-performing branch had suddenly taken a nosedive, and then things would snowball from there as investors started bailing out and going for the more consistently performing office-supply companies.

Getting Michael and his bizarre, controlled-chaos voodoo-savant management back was an added bonus, but the main reason Wallace caved was that they needed to reabsorb the customers Michael had poached.

I am a little curious if Michael is still going to answer to Charles or if they'll just make him directly accountable to Wallace to shut him up. Considering that none of this would've happened without Charles' attempts at micromanaging Michael (ignoring the rule about not fixing what isn't broken), it'd be the smart thing to do.
Old April 27 2009, 03:47 AM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

I'm more curious to see if the show will be able to retain Idris Elba, who was credited as a "Special Guest Star," and is starting to break into the mainstream after cult popularity on "The Wire." He may be mostly an off-screen presence now.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 04:28 AM   #20
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

EXCELLENT

I echo so many others, best episode of the season. This season has had more than its share of mediocre episodes but this latest arc had the show back in top form.

I'm glad to see some character growth finally. Pam as a salesman and not the receptionist. Very few characters have actually grown professionally in the 5yrs of the show. Jim leaped Dwight in the 'nonexistent' position of #2 and Ryan's promotion/fall are the only two that happened.

Curious to see how long this new receptionist sticks around? The cynic in me feels like with a few eps to go in this season that they will find a way to reset status quo to Pam as receptionist.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 10:12 AM   #21
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
Well seeing as how Pam's sales experience largely amounts to handing out fliers with the pancakes and answering the phone first when the client was calling, maybe she'll totally bomb the sales job.

Not that I want her to, but you're right, it's kind of inevitable.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 11:05 AM   #22
Jayson
Vice Admiral

I actually think Ryan or Jan will be the receptionist next season. Possibly the new girl but i'm not sure they will keep her around that long. I added Jan to the list because I read she will be back next season. I think that means she might get that job or I could even seeing her get her old job back. Having Ryan as a receptionist sort of makes sense as well. It's a way for Dunder Mifflin to keep him employed as they agreed to hire him back but keeps him from doing anything that might cause bad PR or any other problems.

Jason
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 03:49 PM   #23
Mr Light
Admiral

Oh wow I forgot all about Jan. Has she even appeared since showing up with the baby at the start of this season?

Old April 29 2009, 03:36 AM   #24
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^ No, she hasn't. Apparently, they want her for next season, but much of it depends on if the actress has a regular gig on another series (she's currently shooting a pilot).
Old April 29 2009, 04:26 AM   #25
Mr Light
Admiral

I always thought it was funny how shooting a pilot keeps a person out of an entire season or half of another show. A pilot is just a 22 minute show after all, they don't film the rest of it until after they pick it to go to series in May which is after the regular season finishes shooting.

Old April 29 2009, 03:27 PM   #26
Dave.Bowman
Ensign

Location: So Cal: The Land of High Unemployment, Higher Taxes & OctoMom

[SIZE=2]I'm hoping for a battle royale between all of the sales staff now that Pam is entering into their circle. I'll bet she holds her own and Andy becomes the weakest link, eventually being transferred to the receptionist position - now that would be hilarious having him answer the phone in silly voices, singing greetings to everyone who enters the office and generally being a bigger annoyance than he is now.
[/SIZE]
Old April 29 2009, 05:39 PM   #27
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Dave.Bowman wrote: View Post
[SIZE=2]I'm hoping for a battle royale between all of the sales staff now that Pam is entering into their circle. I'll bet she holds her own and Andy becomes the weakest link, eventually being transferred to the receptionist position - now that would be hilarious having him answer the phone in silly voices, singing greetings to everyone who enters the office and generally being a bigger annoyance than he is now.
[/SIZE]
Oh my god, Andy as the receptionist would be hilarious! I don't think that would ever happen (or if it did, it would be because Michael ordered him to fill in while the actual receptionist was out or something) but my god, I can only imagine...
Old April 29 2009, 05:46 PM   #28
SlyCardie
Commander

Dave.Bowman wrote: View Post
[/SIZE]
I think there's going to be some sort of contest to see who keeps their job, and of course with Michael it won't be about actual sales either.
SlyCardie is offline   Reply With Quote