The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old September 11 2009, 01:07 PM   #331
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Another take on the Original Enterprise...

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
So... in a matter of about a week, I should have a functional WinXP64 installation running on some pretty powerful hardware, and will be able to load and manipulate this beast without any problems. The big surprise in this whole thing was finding out just how much more capable XP64 is than Vista64 or Win7 64. Or rather, how much more garbage is running on the later OSs which bog everything down.
Quite an eye opener, isn't it? There is a reason I run mostly Linux - it is lighter weight, and allows me to run only what I want to without all the horrid "bloat" of the newer Windows platforms. Sure, there isn't a sound associated with every single move of the mouse, nor fancy animated graphics that dance around continuously, nor "wizards" that try to do things for me that I don't want to do... so, I'm not missing much. Where I run Windows, it's XP, and I have it configured to not do all that extra stuff that looks "cool" but only really hogs resources.
Old September 11 2009, 04:20 PM   #332
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

I agree. I've got a P4, with 512 MB ram and an old videocard, and I can 3D just fine, as long as I'm using a nLited Windows XP installation with all the unnecessary junk taken out and services disabled. Simply buying new hardware is more the "brute" approach.
Old September 11 2009, 07:30 PM   #333
Santaman
Rear Admiral

P4? pfft thats way to modern.

Try these on for size!
My original IBM XT and my P 3105 exhanging files via a nullmodem

Old September 11 2009, 07:50 PM   #334
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Santaman wrote: View Post
P4? pfft thats way to modern.

Try these on for size!
My original IBM XT and my P 3105 exhanging files via a nullmodem

I haven't heard many complaints about the capabilities of my old computer:

with the 48K of ram (up from the basic 32K), and TWO floppy drives. And a COLOR monitor.

(What used to pass for advanced, I tell ya).
Old September 11 2009, 09:33 PM   #335
Wingsley
Commodore

I heard a year or two ago, that someone had discovered a 1988 Apple IIgs in its unopened shipping box, everything factory-original and "new". They opened it up and it worked fine, including the boot-up floppy diskettes.
Old September 12 2009, 01:46 AM   #336
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Wingsley wrote: View Post
I heard a year or two ago, that someone had discovered a 1988 Apple IIgs in its unopened shipping box, everything factory-original and "new". They opened it up and it worked fine, including the boot-up floppy diskettes.
I hope they remembered to send in the registration cards!
Old September 12 2009, 02:17 AM   #337
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Psion wrote: View Post
I hope they remembered to send in the registration cards!
I can't imagine the look on the faces of Apple employees if they receive those cards in the mail. Maybe they'll offer a free upgrade?

In a big way, though, that's not that surprising.

Look at the Atari 2600 compared to something like the Xbox360. The 360 is lightyears ahead in terms of computing power, but it bricks itself at the drop of a hat. The solid-state hardware in the 2600, however, is practically bulletproof.

Hell, I still get far more use out of my N64 than my 1st-gen Xbox. Sure, the Xbox may be HD compatible whereas the N64 is only limited to component inputs at best (and very few games have a 16:9 option to really warrant play on an HDTV,) but there's no danger of overheating or games skipping.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old September 12 2009, 04:13 AM   #338
Wingsley
Commodore

^ "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain..."

Kinda gives Scotty's words new meaning, doesn't it?
Old September 12 2009, 05:26 AM   #339
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

^ "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain..."

Well, I'm not really mad about abandoning solid-state hardware in gaming consoles, mainly because they'd take up as much space as my old big-screen TV at this point.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old September 12 2009, 11:02 AM   #340
Relayer
Lieutenant Commander

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Relayer wrote: View Post
You can still get 64bit xp pro at newegg. I'd go with Vista/Win7 just because XP is getting a bit long in the tooth. Also I'd wait til Dx11 cards came out.

If you want XP though, then there's no point in getting a DX11 card and the 295 you are looking at sure is a kickass DX9 card.
Well, I've got MOST of my new hardware up and running now... although not installed into my main system yet (at least I know everything's working).

My water-cooling hardware for the MOSFETs and motherboard chipset arrived today, so this weekend I'll probably get that installed and migrate this motherboard/CPU/memory combo into my main system. I've got 12GB of ram (the mobo can handle 24, but nobody's really selling 4GB sticks yet) but won't be able to SEE it 'til I install WinXP64

I'm leaving XP32 installed and dual-booting into 64 for things where I need it, for now at least. I know I didn't want Vista, but from what I've seen on my "Win7" installation, I'm underwhelmed... and most comparative benchmarks show that if you CAN run under WinXP64, you'll run significantly faster than in 64 Vista or 64 Win7, and my 3DMark and PCMark results (on the same hardware) have been pretty poor with Win7, compared to what I get running WinXP32 on the same hardware. This might be an issue with the benchmarks, though... still, these are the most common benchmark apps out there, so that seems odd.

So... in a matter of about a week, I should have a functional WinXP64 installation running on some pretty powerful hardware, and will be able to load and manipulate this beast without any problems. The big surprise in this whole thing was finding out just how much more capable XP64 is than Vista64 or Win7 64. Or rather, how much more garbage is running on the later OSs which bog everything down.
I can't argue with any of that. If you don't care about or need anything beyond Dx9, then I can't think of anything Vista/Win7 offers. Possibly OpenCL for Win7, but I'm not certain about that. XP functionally probaby uses about 1/4 the resources that Vista uses. I'm still running XP myself, but I am considering Win7.
Old September 12 2009, 04:17 PM   #341
Ziz
Commodore

USS Mariner wrote: View Post

Well, I'm not really mad about abandoning solid-state hardware in gaming consoles, mainly because they'd take up as much space as my old big-screen TV at this point.
Old September 12 2009, 04:19 PM   #342
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Boy, is THAT an eye opener.
Old September 12 2009, 04:39 PM   #343
Albertese
Commodore

^^^
My favorite part is the big ol' ship's steering wheel! I'm kinda disappointed that my actual home computer doesn't have one. Also, I would like a huge bank of dials and levers. If this contraption doesn't scream mad scientist I'm not sure what does!

--Alex

P.S. What the heck is Fortran language? I guess I'll have to look that one up.
Old September 12 2009, 04:45 PM   #344
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

It's a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
Old September 12 2009, 04:55 PM   #345
Albertese
Commodore

^^^
HA!

That's great too. So the ship's wheel was ACTUALLY A SHIP'S WHEEL! Hilarious!

So I looked up Fortran language. Fascinating reading. It also debunks the above picture as a fraud since the caption implies the article was from 1954 but the first Fortran manual was printed in 1956. though the idea was being worked on as early as 1953. So ... whatever. I guess.

--Alex
Closed Thread