New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 11 2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Borg7of7
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thoughts about the 2009 Convention

My wife & I just returned from the annual Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas...Anyone else go? If so, any good stories? Do tell!
Old August 11 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: Thoughts about the 2009 Convention

I went on Sunday. It was a good time. I liked watching Shatner call Nimoy a "WHORE!"

I also got a big kick out of the one girl who totally choked up talking to Quinto. I haven't seen that level of star-struck in a while. I'm surprised she didn't pass out when he hugged her!
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Please tell me someone has pictures!!!!
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
I went on Sunday. It was a good time. I liked watching Shatner call Nimoy a "WHORE!"
My favorite part of that exchange was when Shatner went off into the synonyms, "Prostitute!" "Harlot!" and my favorite, "Rough Trade!"

Also Nimoy asking Shatner, "Why haven't you seen the movie yet? I went to see the movie that you were in that I wasn't."
Old August 12 2009, 06:15 PM   #5
darthspangler
Lieutenant Commander

This was my first Creation con and I had a great time! The only downside to the con was Thursday night, where I waited over 4 1/2 hours to get autographs from some of the stars. The autograph people seemed over their heads that night.

I mainly went to get Shatner and he was exactly how I expected. Energetic and funny in his audience talk, totally disinterested in his autograph and photo op lines. While autographing, he never looked up at you. The man was a machine! He must have signed 500 items in 90 minutes. I felt extremely fortunate to get a "You're welcome." from him when I said thanks for his autograph. Nimoy was the complete opposite. He at least acknowledged you when signing or doing the photo op.
darthspangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 06:22 PM   #6
darthspangler
Lieutenant Commander

I was pleased that the two music videos my best friend and I worked on won. We did the classic Star Trek monsters video set to The Cruxshadows song "Monsters" and the Spock video set to Leonard Nimoy's "Where is Love?".
Old August 12 2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

darthspangler wrote: View Post
<snip>
While autographing, he never looked up at you. The man was a machine! He must have signed 500 items in 90 minutes. I felt extremely fortunate to get a "You're welcome." from him when I said thanks for his autograph. Nimoy was the complete opposite. He at least acknowledged you when signing or doing the photo op.

Thats nice to hear about Nimoy.
Old August 12 2009, 07:51 PM   #8
kes7
Fleet Captain

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
Please tell me someone has pictures!!!!
This.
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2009, 11:24 PM   #9
darthspangler
Lieutenant Commander

Zachary Quinto was also really cool. He would speak to you in both the autograph and photo ops lines. He gave out a lot of hugs to women in the photo ops line! Also, his signatures were great. Much better than the autographs I have seen Creation sell on their site. Guess when his autograph costs $60 he can put a little more effort into signing!
Old August 18 2009, 01:12 AM   #10
PhasersOnStun
Lieutenant Commander

This was the first convention for my wife and I (she posts here too...). We enjoyed ourselves quite a bit. I'm not generally a collector so no autographs or photos or anything for me. Nor did we go to spend money on paraphernalia. But we enjoyed talking with other convention goers, hearing the actors, looking at the amazing costumes, (one of which, I'm proud to say, was my wife's!), and enjoying the atmosphere.
PhasersOnStun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2009, 02:02 PM   #11
B.C.
Lieutenant

This was my first ever ST convention. I had a blast, so did my girlfriend, who's not much of a Trek fan. The Roddenberry party on Thursday night was great, same with the get-together Sunday evening at Space Quest. We only went to the actual convention on Sunday. I'll be back next year for sure!

I put together a group pool on Flickr if you'd like to check out all the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/startrekvegas09/pool/

If you're on Flickr, feel free to join the group and contribute to the photo pool!
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2009, 06:17 AM   #12
borg3060
Lieutenant Commander

I've posted some of my photos in the above Flickr group. I have the rest on my Myspace page (see my profile here for the link).

Despite the absence of The Experience :-( I still had LOTS of fun at this year's convention. I came with my daughter and we posed for lots of photos with other fans (I was Data for two days and Lore for one) and she was a toddler 7 of 9, a Borg toddler, and toddler Lal. Other hightlights: we had a sketch of us drawn by David Reddick; my music video entry was played on Sunday morning (a Spock/Uhura celebration to the tune of "Communication Breakdown"); and my daughter and I took third place in the costume contest on Saturday! We were also interviewed twice on the local Fox news, and we got interviewed for a documentary about Star Trek fans. I can't wait for next year! :-)
Old August 19 2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^ How fun is that!!!! Gonna go check out the photos now... thanks for posting them guys!