Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 21 2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Nakth
Ensign

What do you Think about XI?

Do you think that this movie will re spark interest among fans or even grab new fans?
Nakth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 08:25 AM   #2
billcosby
Commodore

Re: What do you Think about XI?

Yes.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 09:22 AM   #3
Captain X
Rear Admiral

It'll probably grab some new one-time fans, but the movie really isn't anything they haven't seen before in something like the Star Wars prequels. Some will absolutely gush for the movie and how awesome they thought it was, others will go on about how awful it was, and the rest will just shrug their shoulders.
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 09:33 AM   #4
clint g
Admiral

I hope that the movie will be able to spark interest and re-ignite the franchise. I already know two people (my girlfriend and another friend of mine) who have expressed interest in the movie, despite never watching trek before. I remain pessimistic though. I don't want to be let down in the event that the film does poorly.
Old April 21 2009, 11:20 AM   #5
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

The film has and will spark interest among trekkies and those who arent into Star Trek
There surely will be some new fans, but i feel somehow that minority of them will be what we call Trekkies. I hope im wrong, though
One must remember that there are people who went to see films like Dark Knight or Transformers arent necessarily fans of either, per se, and just want to see some good summer flick and have good time in the cinema.
These viewers most likely wont be buying toys or other Trek stuff, nor they most likely will watch any earlier Star Trek movies or shows.
They will go see the sequel most likely and that will make the studio happy, because their money is mostly needed and wanted...
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 11:42 AM   #6
npsf3000
Lieutenant Commander

One thing people forget is that this might be the first movie in which there is decent space battle cgi -i've spent years looking for it, so have others. If the plot isn't too shoddy and they have at least 10 mins of good cgi they might pick up quite a few fans.
npsf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

while i enjoy a good space battle as much as the next person, Trek has never been about space battles. or at least, it shouldn't be.
Old April 21 2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

It will indeed re-ignite the franchise. This movie will cause millions to buy the newly released DVD sets of Star Trek, and see where it all began. Some will even venture into the 24th century, and explore the adventures of Picard, Sisko, and Janeway.
Old April 21 2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Or some will buy the DVDs since that's basically all that will be left for them to do.
Old April 21 2009, 07:10 PM   #10
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
while i enjoy a good space battle as much as the next person, Trek has never been about space battles. or at least, it shouldn't be.
Maybe one two-hour bit of Trek could be pretty action packed? We don't need everything Trek can do encapsulated into only two hours, surely? As long as it's much better than the movie your name comes from (which really was all about battles - boring ones), it'll be a fun time.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Nakth
Ensign

I remember years ago when Trek was very popular, I could find tons discussions, chats and irc networks about Star Trek, alot of things have died down. I hope this movie does spark interest, even in the "new youth".
Old April 21 2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Captain X
Rear Admiral

You know, I keep hearing that Star Trek was popular back during TNG, but I certainly never really saw any of that, personally. I can still remember getting made fun of as a kid for liking Star Trek (or "Track" as they called it)
Old April 21 2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Gojira
Commodore

Nakth wrote: View Post
Do you think that this movie will re spark interest among fans or even grab new fans?
Yes, I think it will.
Old April 21 2009, 07:39 PM   #14
Nakth
Ensign

Captain X wrote: View Post
You know, I keep hearing that Star Trek was popular back during TNG, but I certainly never really saw any of that, personally. I can still remember getting made fun of as a kid for liking Star Trek (or "Track" as they called it)

I remember those days, everyone from the online communities I've been with have been disappearing, they come and go it must be a phase.
Old April 21 2009, 07:45 PM   #15
indranee
Vice Admiral

Captain X wrote: View Post
aren't you like 20 years old?

of course you don't remember the chat rooms during TNG

I do, btw. I was in college then and it was pretty exciting for Trekkies. Trek was *in*. I'm hoping things go back at least partway to that. it'll do Trek good if this movie does well. if only for that, I can't imagine any REAL Trekkie not wishing this movie well.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote