The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old March 12 2009, 10:04 PM   #1
davidant32
Commodore

Vidian Phage

Why couldn't the biofilters in Voyager's transporters rid the Vidiians of the Phage?

Last edited by davidant32; March 13 2009 at 12:59 AM.
davidant32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Vidian Phage

It was too powerful, infused right into their DNA. It had 2000 years to get that embedded into them.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2009, 02:56 AM   #3
neogothboy74
Commander

Send a message via AIM to neogothboy74 Send a message via Yahoo to neogothboy74

This might make me a 'bad' fan, but I don't really care why. I don't mean to imply that the question or the answer isn't valid - just that for me, as a Trek fan, sometimes the questions that other people logically have don't matter to me - or aren't important for my enjoyment of the episodes involved and that was true here. The Viddian Phage arc was one of the best series of episodes on Voyager IMO - and I thought those episodes were played beautifully. They were a new and interresting new species that separated Voyager from the other Treks very early in it's run. The makeup was impressive. The stories were fairly dark, and disturbing - but there were others that were uplifting. Just a very good mix of stories. With even the slightest bit of closure.

Phage
Faces
Lifesigns
Deadlock
Resolutions
Coda

Think Tank (has the nice line about the Phage being cured)

I think they might also appear in "Fury", which would be the weakest link in the chain from my perspective - but I only watched that episode once, so I'm not sure.
neogothboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Praetor
Vice Admiral

That actually makes you a better fan, IMO.

They do also appear in 'Fury.' I'd have liked them to be the primary (or at least most threatening) Voyager villain, for longer than they were.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

I agree with Praetor - it makes you a better fan.

Whoever was the great mind behind the Vidiians, deserves a standing ovation. Vidiians were absolutely great villains. They were a race with whom there was only little room for negotiating, if any. They just came after you, no matter what, because they simply had to.
Tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2009, 06:00 AM   #6
neogothboy74
Commander

I wouldn't say it makes me a better fan, so much as a different kind of fan.
Old March 13 2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Well, if we start to analyze every episode of every series on a microscopic scale, we can punch holes to almost every single one of them. It might ruin the fun, if the storyline hole punching is not the enjoyment one is seeking.
Old March 13 2009, 06:05 AM   #8
neogothboy74
Commander

Praetor wrote: View Post
have liked them to be the primary (or at least most threatening) Voyager villain, for longer than they were.
I agree to a point, in that they were definitely a more worthy and interesting foe than the Kazon (who could have been written out of the series after the pilot IMO - aside from maybe 1 followup story). But one of the reasons I had a hard time accepting the Kazon as villains was that Janeway and company were constantly on the move and it just seemed like they'd have left Kazon territory behind a lot sooner...and the same could be said for the Vidians. Part of me is glad they appeared in fewer episodes as the writers had less chances to mess them up.
Old March 13 2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Bacl
Fleet Captain

And didn't we get a couple cool late season 6 and 7 mentions of the good old Vidians? I believe in Think Tank Jason Alexander's character said he cured the phage.

Good for them!
Old March 13 2009, 07:08 AM   #10
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Yep, Kurros said they had cured them.
Old March 13 2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Brit
Captain

Bacl wrote: View Post
And didn't we get a couple cool late season 6 and 7 mentions of the good old Vidians? I believe in Think Tank Jason Alexander's character said he cured the phage.

Good for them!
You know of course that the “cure” of the Phage would also be economic disaster for Vidiia. Think about it a race that fought a plague for two thousand years. They had to have invested enormous amounts of resources in just the support of people affected.

There had to be a lot spent on research just to keep people alive. You suppose that because of it there were reservations for Vidiians that didn’t have the Phage, they had to be isolated from the disease, this would be the breeding pool because a disease that affected the DNA would in all likelihood inhibit the victim from producing children.

The infrastructure needed to treat Phage victims had to be enormous, and a “cure” would have brought the Vidiian economy to a screeching halt.

What does all this mean, you might ask. Well considering a people with superior medical technology, that couldn’t cure themselves, one would ask. Whose pocket does all that currency spent on services around Phage victims go into and does that group of people have enough power to actually keep a cure from being found?

Brit

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2009, 12:28 PM   #12
neogothboy74
Commander

Bacl wrote: View Post
Yeah. I mentioned that in my list of their appearances 6 posts before yours. lol. That line in 'Think Tank' has always stayed with me as truly classy bit of closure to a successful string of episodes. The Vidiian arc was already fondly remembered at that point, but that one line provided them a nice, subtle epilogue.

neogothboy74 wrote: View Post
Phage
Faces
Lifesigns
Deadlock
Resolutions
Coda

Think Tank (has the nice line about the Phage being cured)

I think they might also appear in "Fury", which would be the weakest link in the chain from my perspective - but I only watched that episode once, so I'm not sure.
Praetor wrote: View Post
They do also appear in 'Fury.'
I think that's all the appearances. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were more references to them throughout the series. That 'Think Tank' reference made that episode for me, so that's the only reason I remember that one. lol Can anyone remember any other references? Or Appearances? I'd like to make a note of them...because I'm a geek.
Old March 13 2009, 12:47 PM   #13
neogothboy74
Commander

Brit wrote: View Post
You know of course that the “cure” of the Phage would also be economic disaster for Vidiia.
No, I don't think we know that at all. It's a possability, but nothing more.
Old March 13 2009, 07:53 PM   #14
davidant32
Commodore

This might make me a 'bad' fan, but I don't really care why. I don't mean to imply that the question or the answer isn't valid - just that for me, as a Trek fan, sometimes the questions that other people logically have don't matter to me - or aren't important for my enjoyment of the episodes involved and that was true here.
Tachyon wrote: View Post
Well, if we start to analyze every episode of every series on a microscopic scale, we can punch holes to almost every single one of them. It might ruin the fun, if the storyline hole punching is not the enjoyment one is seeking.
I disagree. If the writers are going to introduce all types of fantastical technology, and then expect us to forget about it for plot device reasons, that makes them irresponsible. The audience that truly appreciates the show follows it through the eyes of the characters, and so these questions (the questions that the very character would logically address) are important and valid.

But one of the reasons I had a hard time accepting the Kazon as villains was that Janeway and company were constantly on the move and it just seemed like they'd have left Kazon territory behind a lot sooner...and the same could be said for the Vidians. Part of me is glad they appeared in fewer episodes as the writers had less chances to mess them up.
That was a big problem with Voyager; all the money and time that went into quality and unique alien costumes/makeup meant that TPTB would want to get multiple uses out of them (notice how many times the old Klingon costumes and makeup were dug out of Paramount's closets for Voyager).

That line in 'Think Tank' has always stayed with me as truly classy bit of closure to a successful string of episodes. The Vidiian arc was already fondly remembered at that point, but that one line provided them a nice, subtle epilogue.
It was nice to have some sort of tie to the earlier seasons, especially for the devoted fan, but at the same time it seemed cheap. I kinda felt gipped that after all those Vidiian episodes, the race was cured offscreen and the audience got "resolution" through an off-hand remark.
Old March 13 2009, 08:38 PM   #15
teya
Vice Admiral

davidant32 wrote: View Post
Why couldn't the biofilters in Voyager's transporters rid the Vidiians of the Phage?

Maybe I'm analyzing wrong, but I always assumed the biofilters filter out infectious agents, not the disease itself.

In other words, if I were to transport to Voyager today, the virus I'm shedding from my cold would be filtered out--so that no one else could catch it, but I'd still have the cold.

Likewise, this would explain why no one else on the crew caught the phage after exposure to the Vidiians (since supposedly, only Klingons were immune). The live virus the Vidiians would shed were filtered out.