CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 11 2014, 05:24 AM   #1
dswynne1
Lieutenant

Did TNG predict the catalyst for ST2009?

I watched some scenes of the TNG episode "All Good Things...". As some of you may know, it was essentially a time-travel episode that had Picard jumping at different points in time in his lifeline. Now, in the "future", the Romulans were no longer a major power, as evident by the fact that there was no longer a "Neutral Zone". I doubt JJ Abrams and Bad Robot saw this as an excuse to destroy Romulus in ST2009, but would it be a coincidence that the fall of the Romulan Star Empire, as we know it, in "All Good Things" is because of the Hobus Star Disaster? It would certainly justify Starfleet's liberal usage of cloaking technology circa 2401 CE/early 25th century, and it would definitely tie into the plot within the Star Trek Online game that has the Klingons becoming antagonistic towards the Federation again.

Food for thought.
dswynne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Zeke
Captain

Re: Did TNG predict the catalyst for ST2009?

Interesting thought. It's easy enough to imagine the Klingons conquering the Romulans without any such advantage, but it would certainly have helped.

By the way -- and I'm not saying this reflects my actual opinion -- how am I just now noticing that "Bad Robot" sounds like "Bad Reboot"?
Old October 11 2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Elvira
Vice Admiral

After the destruction of their capital world (and any other Romulan worlds a similar distance from the "supernova") it would be easy to see the Romulan Empire basically falling apart. The surrounding powers (including the Federation) then would carve off pieces of the corpse for their own territories.

Old October 11 2014, 02:51 PM   #4
vulcan redshirt
Lieutenant Commander

Although I doubt that the Feredation would aggressively annex systems asociated with the remains of the Romulan Star Empire (unlike for example the Klingons), it wouldnt be unreasonable for species subjugated into the empire to make a bid for independance, and request Federation assistance.
vulcan redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I've never played Star Trek Online, but I hate the idea that the Klingons would become antagonistic towards the Federation yet again. I mean Jebus, make your mind up guys.

I much prefer to think that the Dominion War made them even stronger allies, as really even though they were at peace/allies from 2293, and strengthed by the Enterprise-C incident of 2344, all the way up to DS9 they'd never really fought side by side.
From what we know anyway, there were wars/skirmishes during that time such as the Cardassian border wars, Talarian & Tzenkethi conflicts etc, but I doubt the Klingons ever got involved in those.

I like to think the Klingons were impressed with the UFP in those battles and realised they weren't as "weak & pathetic" as they often made them out to be. And then as Daniels said in Azati Prime, the Klingons eventually join the Federation at some point.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2014, 04:50 PM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Martok definitely wouldn't become antagonistic toward the Federation but knowing how the high council functions I wouldn't be surprised if his successor drove up anti-Federation sentiment to gain support.

I doubt they intended Romulus to get sucked into a black hole in AGT since the characters talked like the Klingons just conquered them. But you could certainly retcon it that way if you preferred.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2014, 07:54 PM   #7
F. King Daniel
Admiral

dswynne1 wrote: View Post
I watched some scenes of the TNG episode "All Good Things...". As some of you may know, it was essentially a time-travel episode that had Picard jumping at different points in time in his lifeline. Now, in the "future", the Romulans were no longer a major power, as evident by the fact that there was no longer a "Neutral Zone". I doubt JJ Abrams and Bad Robot saw this as an excuse to destroy Romulus in ST2009, but would it be a coincidence that the fall of the Romulan Star Empire, as we know it, in "All Good Things" is because of the Hobus Star Disaster? It would certainly justify Starfleet's liberal usage of cloaking technology circa 2401 CE/early 25th century, and it would definitely tie into the plot within the Star Trek Online game that has the Klingons becoming antagonistic towards the Federation again.

Food for thought.
The "All Good Things" future was my first thought too, but then I watched it again and noticed that they mention Romulus when talking in Data's mansion. So I guess Spock made it in time in that universe. Or whatever nefarious forces blew up Hobus, didn't.
Old October 12 2014, 03:16 AM   #8
Elvira
Vice Admiral

vulcan redshirt wrote: View Post
Although I doubt that the Feredation would aggressively annex systems asociated with the remains of the Romulan Star Empire
If it meant denying those systems to the Klingons and others, yes I could see the Federation annexing those systems, and doing so as fast as possible.

Ethros wrote: View Post
And then as Daniels said in Azati Prime, the Klingons eventually join the Federation at some point.
I believe Daniels said "joined together." Not quite the same as the Empire becoming apart of the Federation.

Old October 12 2014, 05:59 PM   #9
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I've never played Star Trek Online, but I hate the idea that the Klingons would become antagonistic towards the Federation yet again. I mean Jebus, make your mind up guys.
STO is pretty mediocre at the best of times, bit it's not like they pulled this out of their asses. "All Good Things" "The Visitor" "Endgame", pretty much every depiction of "the future" (relative to the shows normal setting) shows the Federation and Klingons becoming enemies again. They're just kind of shitty allies.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Does Endgame? Been a while since I've watched it so I can't remember exactly. Wasn't it just that one Klingon who had a time machine for no reason, who attacked Admiral Janeway because to be fair didn't she steal it from him?

Elvira wrote: View Post
And then as Daniels said in Azati Prime, the Klingons eventually join the Federation at some point.
I believe Daniels said "joined together." Not quite the same as the Empire becoming apart of the Federation.

Well, the lines are-
ARCHER: The Federation? You've mentioned them before.
DANIELS: Vulcans, Andorians, Ithenites, Klingons. Dozens of species, including humans, all unified in a powerful alliance.

Klingons are placed in the same setence as Vulcans and Andorians- species Archer would know, in the response to basically the question "what's the Federation?"
So yeah the impression from that line is, in Daniel's future at least, Klingons are UFP members.

Granted though that's the future, 26th Century, where the Battle of Procyon V occurs between the Feds and the Sphere Builders. And where the Expanse takes up half the galaxy.
"It extends fifty thousand light years in all directions, and it is growing."

Obviously that future will no longer occur after the Sphere's were destroyed in the season 3 finale, but still, I personally would like to think one day the Klingons still join the Federation.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2014, 10:02 PM   #11
erastus25
Commodore

dswynne1 wrote: View Post

Food for thought.
Alternatively, TNZ could be gone b/c the federation and Romulans have signed a treaty eliminating it. Maybe their mutual enmity toward each other has cooled by then.
Old October 12 2014, 10:23 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

^ Does Endgame? Been a while since I've watched it so I can't remember exactly. Wasn't it just that one Klingon who had a time machine for no reason, who attacked Admiral Janeway because to be fair didn't she steal it from him?
Nah, if anything Endgame makes it clear there's still some diplomatic relations between the Federation and the Klingons. B'Elanna Torres is the Federation's ambassador to the Empire in the future.
Old October 12 2014, 10:33 PM   #13
Lance
Commodore

There is a part of me that likes to imagine parts of the "All Good Things" future came to pass in certain ways. For example, I like to think Future Old Guy Riker commandeered a Galaxy Class as his personal flagship, had it pimped up with extra nacelles and stuff, and 'christened' it USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D..... just because he SO wanted to captain her some day. And he wasn't gonna let all that crashing on Veridian III business stop him now he's an Admiral and can do whatever the hell he likes!
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2014, 10:42 PM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
There is a part of me that likes to imagine parts of the "All Good Things" future came to pass in certain ways. For example, I like to think Future Old Guy Riker commandeered a Galaxy Class as his personal flagship, had it pimped up with extra nacelles and stuff, and 'christened' it USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D..... just because he SO wanted to captain her some day. And he wasn't gonna let all that crashing on Veridian III business stop him now he's an Admiral and can do whatever the hell he likes!
Actually, I strangely like that idea.
Old October 14 2014, 01:22 AM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Maybe if Voyager hadn't made it home for another twenty years, the Federation and Klingons would still be allies.

Was your little Borg worth it, Janeway?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote