Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 17 2015, 06:29 AM   #1
JD5000
Captain

The Transporter Debate (2015?)

I'm sure this topic has been done at some point, but I went back a few months and didn't find anything, so I'd like to put it out there.

When someone goes through a transporter - what comes out? Is it you? Is it you but another you? What happens to the old you? If it's not you, who is it?
Old January 17 2015, 06:35 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Transporter Debate (2015?)

^ Based on what little evidence we have, it would seem that it's still you. I can remember two examples:

- In ST II, Saavik and Kirk are able to have a conversation while being transported.

- TNG's "Realm of Fear" which shows the transport process from the POV of the person being transported (in this case, Barclay), uninterrupted.
Old January 17 2015, 06:45 AM   #3
JD5000
Captain

There are several episodes that provide evidence to the contrary though....

"Lonely Among Us" (copy of Picards pattern in buffer + Picards energy signature = new Picard)

'Unnatural Selection (Pulaski finds the Fountain of Youth - couldn't they all just reform in the same bodies they had when they first were transported, providing there was a record?)

'Rascals' (transporter makes mini-Me's?)

'Second Chances' - self-explanatory.

Also, DS9's 'Our Man Bashir' - this one's kinda like what happened with Picard in 'Lonely Among Us' - neural patterns stored all over the computer (instead of the transport buffers?), holographic recreations of their bodies stored in the holodeck...bodies made of light. What happened to the real bodies? Are the bodies they have when 'restored' the same ones they started with?

Last edited by JD5000; January 17 2015 at 06:55 AM.
JD5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 06:56 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ I'm more ready to dismiss those, just because of how silly their premises are.
Old January 17 2015, 06:59 AM   #5
J. Allen
Muy Caliente

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Scientifically speaking? Well, assuming we could actually create this device without imploding the universe, the likelihood is that what would come out the other side would be a copy.
Old January 17 2015, 07:00 AM   #6
JD5000
Captain

Granted, they are all results of accidents or creative solutions to other problems, but if you don't believe in self-selective canon, it has to be accepted as evidence of the technology's capabilities and how it functions on a basic level.

J.Allen wrote:
Scientifically speaking? Well, assuming we could actually create this device without imploding the universe, the likelihood is that what would come out the other side would be a copy.
So what happens to the original? The transporter actually creates matter? Scientifically speaking, isn't this impossible? Conservation of matter or energy or some law of physics? Or is it like a replicator, where it takes the original energy/matter and converts it into something similar but not the same?
Old January 17 2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Orphalesion
Commander

There's another episode that supports the "it's the same person that gets transported" theory. In one episode of TNG they have to use long range beaming (which is apparently less accurate) and Troi, who had never experienced long range beaming before described it as:

"It was strange, it felt like for a moment like I was standing inside that wall over there."

Worf: "For a moment you were."

And in "Tuvix" it was not possible to simply create another set of Tuvok and Neelix, or another Tuvix, with the transporter to allow all three to continue living.

So it seems the general consent is that "it's always you and you stay conscious and suffer no ill effects from your body being ripped into molecules and shot through empty space."
The only exceptions are when the writers want to get creative with the transporter.

To bad Trek never steered into metaphysics much. I recall some Science Fiction setting where they actually did go into the metaphysics of teleportation and when you teleported there your body actually went into a zombie state for a few moments while your soul/consciousness snapped back into your body from your last location.
Old January 17 2015, 07:39 AM   #8
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Baring an accident, it's the original.

The stuff with patterns, curing people by running them through the transporter, those involve modifications to the process. They are akin to controlled accidents, if you will, with beneficial side-effects. If they had screwed up the process, you would have gotten something like what happened to Commander Sonak or the non-canonically named woman accompanying him.

I'm with Mr. Laser Beam, though. If they did something that's too silly an outlier, don't worry about making it literally fit. Squint and imagine that it's something else that makes more sense, like you have to do when watching episodes like "The Alternative Factor."

Orphalesion wrote: View Post
There's another episode that supports the "it's the same person that gets transported" theory. In one episode of TNG they have to use long range beaming (which is apparently less accurate) and Troi, who had never experienced long range beaming before described it as:

"It was strange, it felt like for a moment like I was standing inside that wall over there."
That's "The Schizoid Man":

LAFORGE: Now remember, this is a near warp transport, so the effects may be a little unusual.
TROI: What do you mean?
RIKER: You'll see, Counsellor. Energise.
TROI: Now wait a minute. I don't understand

[Living room]

RIKER: You do now.
TROI: This might sound crazy, but for a moment I thought I was stuck in that wall.
WORF: For a moment, you were.
Old January 17 2015, 07:58 AM   #9
J. Allen
Muy Caliente

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

JD5000 wrote: View Post
Granted, they are all results of accidents or creative solutions to other problems, but if you don't believe in self-selective canon, it has to be accepted as evidence of the technology's capabilities and how it functions on a basic level.

J.Allen wrote:
So what happens to the original? The transporter actually creates matter? Scientifically speaking, isn't this impossible? Conservation of matter or energy or some law of physics? Or is it like a replicator, where it takes the original energy/matter and converts it into something similar but not the same?
The information is broken down into its components, the data is sent to the destination, where it is reconstituted. Only the data is sent, not the matter, because we cannot predict the placement of atoms, so an identical facsimile of what was present at the time of matter assimilation is made.
Old January 17 2015, 08:31 AM   #10
Kobayshi Maru
Commodore

They treat this problem in an Outer Limits episode. They have a long range (several light years) transporter that automatically destroys the body at the point of origin as soon as it gets confirmation that the body has been materialized at the point of destination. Sometimes though, it doesn't get the signal and the person at the origin is left alive, it is then the job of the "O'brien" (the transporter chief) to find the person and... shoot them, because they can't both be left alive.
Kobayshi Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 08:37 AM   #11
tafkats
Vice Admiral

It would be interesting to encounter a people whose religion forbids using the transporter.

It's not that hard to imagine. You can easily argue that the transporter destroys one person, only to create an identical one a fraction of a second later. So beaming someone could be viewed as murder, and stepping onto a transporter pad yourself as suicide.

That's a thorny enough issue in and of itself, but you could complicate it even further by having them ask whether a person who has been transported has a soul.

WordForge.net: Attack otters of the ass. In submarines.
tafkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Orphalesion
Commander

^ Except it has been shown in Star Trek that you stay alive and conscious during the whole process.
Old January 17 2015, 08:45 AM   #13
JD5000
Captain

To be fair, we see Barclay's perception of the process, which is not necessarily accurate considering the state of being involved in being transported.
Old January 17 2015, 08:51 AM   #14
tafkats
Vice Admiral

^ Except it has been shown in Star Trek that you stay alive and conscious during the whole process.
Not necessarily. The entire transport process takes time, but death happens in an instant. And to the newly created person, formed with all of the memories of the predecessor, it would seem continuous.

WordForge.net: Attack otters of the ass. In submarines.
tafkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2015, 08:56 AM   #15
J. Allen
Muy Caliente

tafkats wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. The entire transport process takes time, but death happens in an instant. And to the newly created person, formed with all of the memories of the predecessor, it would seem continuous.
True, but that was just a stupid episode all around anyway.