RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,681
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 760
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 25 40.32%
Above Average 26 41.94%
Average 11 17.74%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26 2009, 02:11 AM   #91
chrisspringob
Commodore

Re: Lost 5x13: "Some Like It Hoth"

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Gertch wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
There's still the mystery of the Dharma food drop in season2.
That's actually crossed my mind lately. I wonder if that came out of a time jump.
We do know now that the island continues to jump through time, right? I'm reminded of a scene with Hurley and Sayid in an early episode where they're listening to a radio, and they hear music that might have been from like the 1940s or something. Sayid says since radio signals bounce off of the atmosphere (or something like that), it could have come from anywhere, and Hurley says "Or any time..."

At first I thought he was joking, but maybe they really were in the 1940s at that moment, and they just didn't know it.
The problem is that the Sun, Moon, stars, and clouds are all part of the outside world, so if the Island itself skips through time, then how come no one ever notices sudden shifts in the sky, like it suddenly shifts from day to night, or the cloud cover shifts instantaneously?
Old April 26 2009, 03:58 AM   #92
Mr Light
Admiral

I don't think the Island time-shifts unless you Donkey-Wheel it. However there are those freakishly fast arriving thunderstorms that some characters can sense coming to explain.

Old April 26 2009, 04:01 AM   #93
M
Vice Admiral

We do know now that the island continues to jump through time, right?
Actually no, we don't know that. At least that's not how I understood it.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old April 26 2009, 06:42 AM   #94
Mallet
Fleet Captain

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
That's right. John stopped the Island from jumping through time when he used the wheel.

Otherwise people would still be dying from nose bleeds, brain damage, etc...
Old April 26 2009, 08:04 AM   #95
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

All we know for sure about the island is there is at least a slight time discrepency between the island and the outside world -- or at least there was in season 4.
Old April 26 2009, 12:16 PM   #96
Skywalker
Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Gertch wrote: View Post
That's actually crossed my mind lately. I wonder if that came out of a time jump.
We do know now that the island continues to jump through time, right? I'm reminded of a scene with Hurley and Sayid in an early episode where they're listening to a radio, and they hear music that might have been from like the 1940s or something. Sayid says since radio signals bounce off of the atmosphere (or something like that), it could have come from anywhere, and Hurley says "Or any time..."

At first I thought he was joking, but maybe they really were in the 1940s at that moment, and they just didn't know it.
The problem is that the Sun, Moon, stars, and clouds are all part of the outside world, so if the Island itself skips through time, then how come no one ever notices sudden shifts in the sky, like it suddenly shifts from day to night, or the cloud cover shifts instantaneously?
After I wrote that post, I started wondering the same thing. Any observant person like, oh, say, Sayid, or anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of science (paging Dr. Arzt!) would have noticed something like that.
Mallet wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
That's right. John stopped the Island from jumping through time when he used the wheel.

Otherwise people would still be dying from nose bleeds, brain damage, etc...
What was the whole point of the Lamp Post, then? It was designed to locate the island's whereabouts, in both space and time. The way I understood it, the island is never in one set time period, but after Ben moved it, he disrupted the process, and that's why every jump was hurting the people who'd been displaced (i.e. Sawyer and company).
Old April 26 2009, 02:31 PM   #97
Gertch
Admiral

Perhaps the plane traveled through time, not the Island. Same with the music over the radio. So our Losties would have experienced these things simply appearing.