Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 22 2009, 05:18 AM   #121
pork3
Commander

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
This was dull as hell, and absurdly predictable to boot. There were some good performances, and the Cylon prototype was cool, but otherwise I was sorely disappointed by this. And the nudity was so obviously gratuitous that it was laughable. When it airs on TV, no one would have noticed that those shots are missing. They were just crammed in there, lamely.
+1
Dissapointed to say the least (though I'm not complaining about the nudity :P), especially to see a rather dismal outing from the likes of Eick/RDM/Aubuchon.

Here's hoping that things improve dramatically with the episodes to follow. Does anyone know when the first season actually commences?

-Jamman
Old April 22 2009, 05:43 AM   #122
Awesome Possum
I've Been Rebooted

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

ATimson wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I think the first war lasted about 12 or so years, I think the Razor flashbacks said that last bit was on day 5,000 or so of the war.
I believe it's just the webisodes, not the flashbacks in "Razor" itself. But either way, there are only a few possibilities:

* The flashbacks are wrong about the length of the war, and Caprica's DVD is wrong about when Caprica takes place (allowing the original date of 51 years before the fall from the script to be right). Adama signs up for the Colonial Navy c. age 18.

* The flashbacks are wrong about Adama's first combat mission being at the end of the war. (Maybe he was a GROPO before becoming a pilot, and it was just his first combat mission flying?)

* The flashbacks and Caprica's DVD are right about the dates, and Adama didn't join the fight until he was in his mid-20's.

* The date on Caprica is wrong (albeit less wrong than scenario 1--probably 53 years before the fall), and war is going to break out any day now.

I prefer scenario 1 personally. Scenario 4 is unlikely. Unfortunately, I think we'll end up with scenario 3.
Well he did need some training.
Old April 22 2009, 05:45 AM   #123
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Well he did need some training.
Not a decade's worth. Four years or so would be reasonable--the length of time of a course of study at the Air Force Academy or Annapolis during peacetime. But more than that is hard to justify, especially during a war when the focus would be on getting bodies out onto the front lines.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old April 22 2009, 07:13 AM   #124
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Fantastic.

I'm really surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. I expected I would hate it.

At first, I was a little turned off by how cold and stark and barren and desolate it all felt, but then slowly I realized that that was exactly what I loved about it. The loneliness of these two men and their destroyed lives. And this disconnected society and its attempt escape into anywhere besides reality. (Just like where our own society is headed.) That's what sold me.

It's different from anything I've seen before. And, like with BSG, this world feels real. It dodges the hokey trappings of most lesser sci-fi outings.

Considering that the genesis for this show was totally independent from BSG, I'm shocked at how well it works as a prequel/spin-off. And yet it doesn't try to beat you over the head with connections to BSG. It's a fully realized world(s). It adds layers to BSG, yet exists totally independent of it.

Morales is absolutely perfect as Bill Adama's father. The principal (adult) actors are all fantastic. They're too good for this, really, which can only be a good thing if the series has a chance to find its legs.

I didn't expect us to see so much "progress" toward the development of the first Cylons. I didn't really want to see them this soon, actually, but the fanboy in me enjoyed watching the robots run around and destroy everything in sight.

The show is intelligent and mature, and I think this, more than anything else, is the legacy that BSG has lent to the genre. This kind of fare certainly risks continuing to class up the genre. I can see plenty more people who "don't normally watch sci-fi" watching this show. (And plenty of traditional sci-fi geeks hating it for all the same reasons.) Like BSG, it's not for everyone. Its following will be small but loyal. I hope the show can keep its costs down. It has a lot of potential.

It's beautifully shot and well-acted. The score was competent, but not intrusive. The Adama theme had me tearing up in seconds. (Damn you, Bear, you get me every time.) I feel a lot less emotional connection to this show, which worries me a bit, but I am already drawn into this world and I want to see what happens next.

I found the BSG mini-series a little slow, and I think tihis movie took a similarly slow, "let's develop this world and its characters carefully", approach. I expect both the pace and the intensity to pick up as it goes to series. Not to the level of BSG, as that wouldn't be appropriate.

Basically, I can't wait to see where this goes next.
Old April 22 2009, 10:05 AM   #125
Michael Chris
Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Michael Chris wrote: View Post
Ok, so I just started this thing. What is up with the debauchery in this? Can someone tell me if this continues past the beginning? I want to watch it but not if it is like the beginning. Ugh.

This a huge a disappointment.

What bothered you? The whole thing was pretty tame.
Tame? In the first few seconds there are numerous explicit sex scenes. I asked someone if they would watch it for me to see if it got better, and they said that there was nothing like the first scene the rest of the way. So I decided to watch it, but after that scene there is immediately graphic violence. First we get some woman randomly shooting a person entering this club or whatever, then some sort of human sacrifice that was completely disturbing and unnatural. But this was all part of the beginning so I figured hey I can ignore it since there's nothing else. Then within about five minutes there are more sex scenes! Obviously the person I asked was not paying attention.

How can something that came from something so well done be so incredibly nasty? Sure there were some disgusting scenes in BSG too, but they were not nearly at the same level as this.

I give up! I am so frustrated at this. I've been looking forward to this for months upon months and then they go and do this!
Old April 22 2009, 12:02 PM   #126
Rob Grant
Lieutenant

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
FleetLord wrote: View Post
Looking at the prototype cylon i always wonder what is the advantage to the rotaig eye. to me two or more eyes ont he head would be better than one eye going back and forth, sure its cool, just does not seem practical.
You're assuming that it's actually seeing like that; I always figured it was metaphorical, the equivalent of the power light on your computer.
Well one of the Razor flashbacks shows what seeing from a TOS Cylons perspective is like a it does use the onw eye moving back and forth to see.
its not a TOS cylon.. its a Early nuBSG cylon.. TOS is seperate from nuBSG... you know that..
Old April 22 2009, 12:12 PM   #127
Rob Grant
Lieutenant

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I imagine the show wants to, even if it waits to its final season.
um.. Skip to the end.. just skip ahead some years.. duh..
Old April 22 2009, 12:16 PM   #128
Rob Grant
Lieutenant

Ok, so I just started this thing. What is up with the debauchery in this? Can someone tell me if this continues past the beginning? I want to watch it but not if it is like the beginning. Ugh.

Tame? In the first few seconds there are numerous explicit sex scenes. I asked someone if they would watch it for me to see if it got better, and they said that there was nothing like the first scene the rest of the way. So I decided to watch it, but after that scene there is immediately graphic violence. First we get some woman randomly shooting a person entering this club or whatever, then some sort of human sacrifice that was completely disturbing and unnatural. But this was all part of the beginning so I figured hey I can ignore it since there's nothing else. Then within about five minutes there are more sex scenes! Obviously the person I asked was not paying attention.

How can something that came from something so well done be so incredibly nasty? Sure there were some disgusting scenes in BSG too, but they were not nearly at the same level as this.

I give up! I am so frustrated at this. I've been looking forward to this for months upon months and then they go and do this!
Are you 14?

*face palm*

quit your whining..
Old April 22 2009, 12:22 PM   #129
Gregsmack
Captain

Explicit sex? I saw some breasts. Outside of that, there were scenes in BSG that were much, much "worse" in 'Pegasus' and 'A Measure of Salvation' (but only if you're a nun). And the people being shot and sacrificed were part of the holoband world. It's pretty much like the holodeck in Star Trek TNG, except the Colonials aren't unimaginative drips. I mean, I guess it could be seen as offensive but, really, that's kind of part of the point.

You did watch BSG, right?
Old April 22 2009, 12:30 PM   #130
Rob Grant
Lieutenant

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
Excellent

This was an excellent intro to the new series. I am really looking forward to it now (though I have no idea how they are going to come up with 20 episodes a season, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt).

I love the robot butler the Greystones have. I also loved the performances of Eric Stoltz and Esai Morales. 2010 can't come soon enough.
WHY does it have to be 20 eps.. *facepalm*

they should just make it less if it will be better like that..
Old April 22 2009, 12:50 PM   #131
Gregsmack
Captain

^ One thing I also think about is how much of Caprica we're going to need. Drawing it out to the length of BSG (70+ episodes) seems like blowing the whole concept out of proportion, not to mention making BSG seem smaller by comparison. I doubt the writers are concerned about that sort of thing, though -- it's probably only my own oddball critique anyway.

Although, to be fair, Enterprise had more episodes than the TOS, and many of which managed to damage the continuity of TOS rather than inform or support it in any meaningful way (or even superficial ways. Klingon forehead explanations? Jesus Christ). Enterprise didn't concentrate on the elements that it, as a prequel, should have. Instead it was just an overblown action series that, for some not very substantive reason, took place before the iconic TOS. If one were to watch the Star Trek canon from beginning to end continuity-wise, there would seem to be very little point to Enterprise as a whole, since it didn't really set up or provide any insight into anything coming "after" it. We've spent more time with Archer and co. doing absolutely nothing than we have with Kirk and Spock doing (generally) interesting things. What a complete waste of time. In my opinion, Caprica's writers should be a little wary of avoiding this kind of thing with the Caprica-BSG universe. Although, again, maybe I am just off my rocker about this.
Old April 22 2009, 01:13 PM   #132
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Water-boarding a guy? Okay.

Flushing him out an air-lock? Okay.

Flushing an innocent woman out an airlock? Okay.

Person randomly shooting themselves in the head? Okay.

Suicide bombings? Okay.

Rape? Okay.

Genocide of the human race? Okay.

Boobs? Disgusting!
Old April 22 2009, 02:02 PM   #133
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

but y'know, it's Teh Seks!11!! It's evul!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old April 22 2009, 02:31 PM   #134
Michael Chris
Admiral

In a way. I have no desire to do violence, but I certainly have a desire to have sex. Therefore it represents temptation, the vast majority of BSG did not. I imagine most aren't interested in committing wanton acts of violence, but would be tempted by sex. That is why I have a problem with it. I expected to enjoy the show, but now I really can't watch unless they edit it for TV and even then I will know what they did show. It's highly depressing.
Old April 22 2009, 03:04 PM   #135
Gregsmack
Captain

I imagine most aren't interested in committing wanton acts of violence,
Speak for yourself, buddy.